Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by cova
You really don't need to inflate CC spend. Just AA wants you to use their CCs. If you fly AA - you really should have at least one of their CC. These days, most people don't use cash. The CC is used to pay for everything. Some places no longer even take cash. If you just charge food, gas, insurance, etc. you can build up your LPs. Plat Pro is only 125K LP - and as pointed out a combination of items can get you there. You don't have to spend what you don't need.

AA makes its profit from credit card companies buying points. So they want to encourage you to use an AA card. If you don't have an AA credit card, then you are not that profitable to AA.
the aa eshopping also is easy miles on stuff you spend anyways. I was lifetime plat 2 mil but it easy to get to exp with the cc and shopping. I usually get to about 400k LP
and then move to get my wife ppro for owe status
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:59 am

Sorry if this has already been asked but do BIS miles from award tickets count?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kodalip
Sorry if this has already been asked but do BIS miles from award tickets count?
My understanding is no.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:11 pm

Unfortunately, no change announced with the recent 24/25 program changes.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Unfortunately, no change announced with the recent 24/25 program changes.
And unlikely that any changes will be announced, no matter how many posters in this thread wish it so...

Regards
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have a strange recent credit experience. Flew BA in D class ALG-LGW (J class) and LAX-LHR (D class) which months ago had my AA FF# in it. Obviously w the accrual changes I swapped in my AS number and AlG-LGW appeared in my AS account as expected. I have my LHR-LAX boarding pass and it clearly shows my AS FF#. But low and behold today I see a credit to my AA account.

Trying to decide if it’s worth the struggle to try to get this fixed but I note the AA MM credit is NOT even butt in seat miles for LHR-LAX. The calculation is as follows:
Award Miles 7,120
Base miles 4,450
Bonus miles 2,670
Million Miler 4,450

What?! LHR-LAX should net 5,440 MM miles, not 4,450 right? And the crediting says fare but this sure looks like distance based crediting, plus a 50% COS bonus right?

i guess I will submit my paper BP to Alaska and see if i can get this credited properly there and assume they will have AA correct the mistake on their end?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stephem
What?! LHR-LAX should net 5,440 MM miles, not 4,450 right? And the crediting says fare but this sure looks like distance based crediting, plus a 50% COS bonus right?
Appears they're using 5x of base fare + carrier surcharge for MM earning on BA flights. Also consistent with the BA itinerary that I credited to AA last year after they went to fare-based earning.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35701882-post282.html
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by scubadu
And unlikely that any changes will be announced, no matter how many posters in this thread wish it so...

Regards
Million Miler program is entirely independent of standard elite qualification year. I don't have a lot of faith that AA will make changes to it, but according to other posters, select CK members were invited to AA's headquarters where they discussed how weak AA's Million Miler program is compared to others and, allegedly, some AAdvantage executives indicated that there would be changes coming up. I'm CK and didn't receive an invitation, but other CK members posted the information here.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Million Miler program is entirely independent of standard elite qualification year. I don't have a lot of faith that AA will make changes to it, but according to other posters, select CK members were invited to AA's headquarters where they discussed how weak AA's Million Miler program is compared to others and, allegedly, some AAdvantage executives indicated that there would be changes coming up. I'm CK and didn't receive an invitation, but other CK members posted the information here.
I'm aware of that and we shall see. But I'd also say that sometimes executives say things to high value customers, face to face, to make them feel good (and heard) that they ultimately have no intention of delivering on

Regards
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm aware of that and we shall see. But I'd also say that sometimes executives say things to high value customers, face to face, to make them feel good (and heard) that they ultimately have no intention of delivering on

Regards
That's very true, but then AA shouldn't complain when they continue reporting poor revenue performance ... their weak MM program isn't helping them
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
That's very true, but then AA shouldn't complain when they continue reporting poor revenue performance ... their weak MM program isn't helping them
I'm sorry but AA has well in excess of 115 million AAdvantage members. The number of customers that even think about the MM program is infinitesimal and the number of those people that would literally intentionally shift revenue over it is even smaller. Most travelers continue to remain focused on 1) price and 2) convenience. And AA certainly has never attempted to blame the MM program as a drag on revenue. I literally don't know anyone that would seriously postulate that (other than people lusting/demanding lifetime status)

There are many, many things that AA needs to fix and could do better at, but I assure you this is probably just not high on their radar.

I mean think about it; the primary reason the so many people in this forum are obsessed with this is precisely because they want to be able to STOP spending on AA and shift their spend elsewhere

Not sure how that is a good thing for AA. DL only recently made improvements in their lifetime program and they did not make those changes out of benevolence. They made them because they pulled the pin on a grenade and then stood there holding it against their stomach while it went off and then set the Skymiles program on fire. They would not have made those changes if they had not done that.

Look, my wife would benefit from this if they did make the change, so if they do it, we'd take it, but I'm not going to spend time obsessing about it or threatening to move my business over it, etc. If it comes, it comes, but I just don't see it happening for a guide while.

Regards
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
when I hit 1,000,000 miles in December I got an email saying welcome to platinum status. I was then platinum status, but literally had only credited two flights to American all year. Surprised to open up my account today and see I am still platinum for the next year
rodsren likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Inundate AA Cust SVC with Million Mile Comstructive Comments!

Originally Posted by lsquare
If AA wants to run an uncompetitive program, then so be it.
Flying a million miles to get 4 SWUs for me above 2MM PLatinum for life is ridiculous, what the heck US Air (I mean American airlines). On the OMAAT website, the gentleman has an exciting proposal for AA Lifetime status. Still, I have sent as an EXP several letters to customer relations and they were never answered. It's almost like they could care less, what do you think? As of this response, Delta not only is honoring it's MQM's earned through non-BIS flying, but putting an end to it henceforth as of 1/1/24. As of January 1, 2024, "Delta is honoring all existing MQM balances toward lifetime status, so they’re being converted at a 1:1 ratio to the new metric." AA ended lifetime Milion mile status as you good people will know in 2011, but now has reinstated it with their 3 changes to Loyalty points in fewer tears, and still keeping the top you can get at 2MM/Plainun for life, a fairly low a shabby system. United has always been the leader in generosity for 1/2/3 and 4 million miles BIS, with 4 MM giving not only Global services for life but also a companion/significant other membership is included meaning a family of 4 could essentially enjoy domestic upgrades at the special PO inventory complimentary. I have not received a complimentary upgrade with aa since pre-pandemic, and then once a couple over several years. For reference, Delta's new program is:
  • One million miler earns you SkyMiles Gold Medallion status for life (rather than Silver Medallion)
  • Two million miler earns you Platinum Medallion status for life (rather than Gold Medallion)
  • Three million miler earns you Diamond Medallion status for life (rather than Gold Medallion)
  • Four million miler earns you Diamond Medallion status for life (rather than Platinum Medallion)
  • Five million miler earns you Delta 360 status for life (rather than Platinum Medallion)
Maybe if all of 3MM and higher starts to inundate customer service (or those that plan to get to that level) with letters, something may finally happen. Even 3MM for Paltinun Pro and 4MM for Exec Platinum with no possibility of CKey would be a huge huge improvement! Just saying!
Spiff and RoadWarrior200 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by rodsren
Flying a million miles to get 4 SWUs for me above 2MM PLatinum for life is ridiculous, what the heck US Air (I mean American airlines). On the OMAAT website, the gentleman has an exciting proposal for AA Lifetime status. Still, I have sent as an EXP several letters to customer relations and they were never answered. It's almost like they could care less, what do you think? As of this response, Delta not only is honoring it's MQM's earned through non-BIS flying, but putting an end to it henceforth as of 1/1/24. As of January 1, 2024, "Delta is honoring all existing MQM balances toward lifetime status, so they’re being converted at a 1:1 ratio to the new metric." AA ended lifetime Milion mile status as you good people will know in 2011, but now has reinstated it with their 3 changes to Loyalty points in fewer tears, and still keeping the top you can get at 2MM/Plainun for life, a fairly low a shabby system. United has always been the leader in generosity for 1/2/3 and 4 million miles BIS, with 4 MM giving not only Global services for life but also a companion/significant other membership is included meaning a family of 4 could essentially enjoy domestic upgrades at the special PO inventory complimentary. I have not received a complimentary upgrade with aa since pre-pandemic, and then once a couple over several years. For reference, Delta's new program is:
  • One million miler earns you SkyMiles Gold Medallion status for life (rather than Silver Medallion)
  • Two million miler earns you Platinum Medallion status for life (rather than Gold Medallion)
  • Three million miler earns you Diamond Medallion status for life (rather than Gold Medallion)
  • Four million miler earns you Diamond Medallion status for life (rather than Platinum Medallion)
  • Five million miler earns you Delta 360 status for life (rather than Platinum Medallion)
Maybe if all of 3MM and higher starts to inundate customer service (or those that plan to get to that level) with letters, something may finally happen. Even 3MM for Paltinun Pro and 4MM for Exec Platinum with no possibility of CKey would be a huge huge improvement! Just saying!
I (jokingly) wonder if DL will status match my 6.1 million AA miles to 360?
stant likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by rodsren
Still, I have sent as an EXP several letters to customer relations and they were never answered. It's almost like they could care less, what do you think?
It sounds like you "Stan" AA, as it were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.