Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

85 minutes not enough at MIA? MCT override?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

85 minutes between the flight coming in and the one I want to take. I'm flying biz and have global entry. This seems silly to me.

Flying PTY-MIA-DFW-PDX. Trying to leave PTY on the 120 (I can't make the early flight.) and make it to PDX same day.

It seems goofy that someone at AA can't make this work. My alternative is buy a one way home on Delta; spend far more and sit in coach.

I want to fly 981 (PTY-MIA) - 1428 (MIA-DFW) - 2211 (DFW-PDX)

Can I stand by for 1428 and if I do that, can I then stand by for 2211 rather than taking the 9am the next day? I am NOT an EXP.

Last edited by Ty Vil; Jan 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm Reason: nicer language
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Without status you can't standby for an earlier flight.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Even flying biz/first?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Ty Vil
85 minutes between the flight coming in and the one I want to take. I'm flying biz and have global entry. This makes ZERO sense to me.

Flying PTY-MIA-DFW-PDX. Trying to leave PTY on the 120 (I can't make the early flight.) and make it to PDX same day.

It seems asinine that someone at AA can't make this work. My alternative is buy a one way home on Delta; spend far more and sit in coach.

Can I stand by for 1428 and if I do that, can I then stand by for 2211 rather than taking the 9am the next day? I am NOT an EXP.
I don't know what you mean by asinine. If you don't meet the MCT you can't book the flights. This isn't unique to AA. Generally standby a day earlier than the scheduled day is not permitted, however if you have time, and there is an empty seat, the GA might let you have it. I would not make plans based on an expectation of getting this exception. I am not clear on why not being EXP was mentioned. All elites have standby eligibility
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
MCTs ignore status, GE, and cabin of service. But they are set for good reasons.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Even flying biz/first?
Missed that, sorry, I ended up on the last line. You can standby with a F/J ticket, but the MCT is not going to be waived.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
85 minutes between the flight coming in and the one I want to take. I'm flying biz and have global entry. This makes ZERO sense to me.

It seems asinine that someone at AA can't make this work. My alternative is buy a one way home on Delta; spend far more and sit in coach.

If you're convinced it will work you could just buy two separate tickets. You may have a problem in the event of IRROPS but that's a gamble you'll have to make if that's what you want. If you aren't checking a bag and everything is on time, you should be able to make it pretty easily. I did a connection LHR-JFK to JFK-DFW in 18 minutes a couple weeks ago, though I can't say it was pleasant. It can be done however.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
If you're convinced it will work you could just buy two separate tickets. You may have a problem in the event of IRROPS but that's a gamble you'll have to make if that's what you want. If you aren't checking a bag and everything is on time, you should be able to make it pretty easily. I did a connection LHR-JFK to JFK-DFW in 18 minutes a couple weeks ago, though I can't say it was pleasant. It can be done however.
Yes, since you'd have to collect any checked bags at MIA to go through customs, I would not try this unless you're just doing carry-on.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
MCT is set high at MIA for a reason, the place is usually a zoo.

Take today for example, flight arrived 23m late at 4:38pm. AA1428 scheduled departure is 5:40pm. Latest time for you to arrive at the gate would have been 5:15pm...

Do you really think you can get off the plane, clear ICE, re-clear TSA and make it to gate D31 in 37 minutes????
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT represents a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of having to rebook a misconnect. It has nothing to do with what an individual pax believes is reasonable.

If OP is so certain that he will make it, he can book two tickets and assume the risk himself. If he makes his xMIA, he will be all set. If not, he may be sitting at MIA until space opens up on an onward flight. It is unclear to me that AA would honor its standard misconnect between tickets if an individual deliberately booked under the MCT. But, OP may well find out.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I decided not to take the risk and booked my whole ticket (begrudgingly) with the competition in coach none the less.

I'm just disappointed as I was using the LAX-PTY fare to fly the new A321T and it didn't work out.

Thankful for everyone's insight.

Last edited by Ty Vil; Jan 1, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by BStrauss3

Take today for example, flight arrived 23m late at 4:38pm. AA1428 scheduled departure is 5:40pm. Latest time for you to arrive at the gate would have been 5:15pm...
No, the door closes at T-10 and you are supposed to be boarded at T-15. There is absolutely no reason you would need to be at gate "latest" by T-35. OP is very reasonable - if the cnx were legal I'd easily take it under their circumstances. Even without GE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.