Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU Availability Showing on AA.com! (2013 onward; consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Systemwide Upgrades / SWU Reflected on AAdvantage Account Online
(formerly eVIP, VIP) as of 2013

System wide upgrade (SWU) availability is shown when booking flights on AA.com. If available, the words "Systemwide Upgrade" will appear below the flight number of the first leg of an itinerary. For an example of the notation, please see post #5.

False positives: Reports argue, however, that there are reasons why SWU may not actually be applicable for a given flight even if listed:
  1. SWU availability will appear if any possibilities are applicable: two-class economy to first upgrades (A inventory), three-class economy to business upgrades (C inventory), three-class business to first upgrades (A inventory). This creates on confusion on three-class international flights because C inventory is often desired, but A inventory is more available.
  2. With connecting flights, if any segment has SWU availability, the complete itinerary will be flagged as having SWU availability. This creates confusion as the desired (long) segment may not have availability.

False negatives:
  1. The person searching must be logged into the AAdvantage account and have a valid SWU for availability to show.
Print Wikipost

SWU Availability Showing on AA.com! (2013 onward; consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How frustrating that you can't tell if it is Y to J or J to F? I have a Y ticket and am hoping I am seeing J SWU availability but am overseas and don't have EF. Can anyone see what the availability is for June 17 DFW-NRT and June 24/25 ICN-DFW? Thanks in advance!
Old May 17, 2014, 2:30 am

All those flights look to be F7 A7 J7 C0. Of course, there may be expanded EXP availability (assuming you're EXP).
Old May 17, 2014, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nall
All those flights look to be F7 A7 J7 C0. Of course, there may be expanded EXP availability (assuming you're EXP).
Yes, I'm EXP. So does that mean it's only business to first availability? Learn it. The website is confusing. What are my chances of wait listing for the upgrade from Y to business eventually opening up? Does it often open up at the last minute? Or are you saying there is economy upgrade space to business? Thanks for checking!
Old May 17, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
If C is zero then no UG Y to J on 3 class plane but try calling EXP desk if OP is EXP.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Lesson learned for me this week. Booking a LAX-JFK flight (don't usually fly transcon) and was hoping to upgrade Y to C on the new A321. Flights showed "Systemwide Upgrade", but when I called to apply the EVIP, no business upgrades available - only A upgrades to First. Wasn't thinking of that and of course, the website doesn't distinguish. I should have checked EF - and should have been suspicious that almost every flight showed upgrades available. Will hope it clears off the waitlist.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
Lesson learned for me this week. Booking a LAX-JFK flight (don't usually fly transcon) and was hoping to upgrade Y to C on the new A321. Flights showed "Systemwide Upgrade", but when I called to apply the EVIP, no business upgrades available - only A upgrades to First. Wasn't thinking of that and of course, the website doesn't distinguish. I should have checked EF - and should have been suspicious that almost every flight showed upgrades available. Will hope it clears off the waitlist.
The website now does distinguish the two if you click the "Systemwide Upgrade" link.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Is it just me or has there been a TOTAL lack of C inventory for quite some time now? Is this the new approach to inventory control / revenue management? I am looking at flights three months out with one J ticket booked on a 772 and there is no C. Flights six weeks out with 6 J booked and still, no C. Is SWU even worth anything anymore? I mean, I'll keep my EXP this year, but moving to SEA makes it really hard to fly AA. Throw on total lack of planned SWU usage and I may as well fly less and just buy J for leisure on carriers with better service.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by dnova
Is SWU even worth anything anymore?
Think I'd have to have a couple international flights in a row in coach before making that decision, and that just hasn't happened. Just because they're not clearing months out doesn't mean they won't clear by departure. My two last month cleared 1 and 4 days out, closer than I'd like, but all that matters is that I still cleared. Compared to UA's product, which requires purchase of higher international fares and then no guarantee of clearing, AA systemwides still have a lot of value.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Think I'd have to have a couple international flights in a row in coach before making that decision, and that just hasn't happened. Just because they're not clearing months out doesn't mean they won't clear by departure. My two last month cleared 1 and 4 days out, closer than I'd like, but all that matters is that I still cleared. Compared to UA's product, which requires purchase of higher international fares and then no guarantee of clearing, AA systemwides still have a lot of value.
Not sure this is a fair comparison though. I just bought a W fare for three weeks from now and upgraded it right on the spot. Yes I paid more, but I was able to confirm right out of the gate...and there was plenty of R availability.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Not sure this is a fair comparison though. I just bought a W fare for three weeks from now and upgraded it right on the spot. Yes I paid more, but I was able to confirm right out of the gate...and there was plenty of R availability.
Not sure thats a fair comparison either. There are some flights on which you can confirm AA C space at time of booking. Really depends on routes & dates.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Not sure thats a fair comparison either. There are some flights on which you can confirm AA C space at time of booking. Really depends on routes & dates.
Here were my choices...AA Coach fare was $1897 and SWU not available for the dates I needed. UA W fare was $1515 and GPU cleared on the spot. I know it is only one datapoint, but my point is that AA availability has been so poor in advance that for some, paying more to lock in the upgrade would look tempting.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I have 8 next year that all cleared at booking on AA on international fares between $550-700, though still waitlisted on MAD-SFO. I can live with that. Some of those are from hidden EXP inventory.

Here were my choices...AA Coach fare was $1897 and SWU not available for the dates I needed. UA W fare was $1515 and GPU cleared on the spot.
Sounds like the UA fare makes sense if you have the systemwides to go with it.

Last edited by tom911; Dec 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm Reason: added a few lines
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I know it is only one datapoint, but
Precisely. Arguments based on one data point, while impactful to a singular traveler's experience, are not sufficient for generalization.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by tom911
I have 8 next year that all cleared at booking on AA on international fares between $550-700, though still waitlisted on MAD-SFO. I can live with that. Some of those are from hidden EXP inventory.
It is amazing how different experiences can be from one EXP to another. I have never been able to access the "hidden EXP inventory" and I have asked plenty of times...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It is amazing how different experiences can be from one EXP to another. I have never been able to access the "hidden EXP inventory" and I have asked plenty of times...
For awards, you need a good agent who knows what they are doing to find it. For upgrades (and some awards too), there is a particular way to do it and then request them. It's idiot proof and even the clueless agents will be able to see it. If you don't do it this particular way, clueless agents (which is 99% of them these days) will not see the hidden availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.