Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BOSE Headsets Serviced and Sanitized? (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOSE Headsets Serviced and Sanitized? (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
Cool BOSE Headsets Serviced and Sanitized? (Consolidated)

Took a RT LAX-PVG last week in J, as usual was offered a BOSE headset shortly after takeoff. Just of curiosity I asked the FA whether or not AA cleans or sanitizes them in between flights.
The answer I got was " I think they do in Los Angeles, but most likely not in Shanghai. We turn around in 2 hours."
That got me thinking. This is Nasty. Without sanitizing these BOSE, isn't it the same as giving pax used slippers / pajamas / ear buds ??

Guess I won't use them again, I put these things on my face !

P.S. The other airline I have experience with is CX, and between every flight they clean them and put a "Sanitized" Sticker on the headphone.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Agree that it would be nice if they sanitized them. But I wouldn't let that stop me if I wanted to use them. I'd bring along some Purell and sanitize myself. I wouldn't think it was my responsibility to do so, but ultimately wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face (is that right?)
Cheers
Please elaborate on the screen name, as it humorously relates to this topic.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Since my battle with cancer started, upon my doctor's recommendation I regularly sanitize everything I touch on the flight. Seat, tray tables, air duct, seatbelt, etc. I don't normally take the bose headset as I have my own, but I would do the same thing with those. Wet wipes don't kill everything, but they do get bacteria and are extremely convenient.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
I would say they take them off, sanitize and ut them on the next flight back home....Like the cleaning of pillows etc
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
byod - bring your own device
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:35 pm

and hopefully the previous person in your seat didn't have head lice

just think: you rest your head on the same seatback as hundreds of thousands of people before you...kinda makes it a lot easier for me to slip on the used headset, personally, with or without purell.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
I don't have cancer as far as I know (thank God) but I am immunosuppressed. I shun the Bose headsets for that reason and carry my own. As with akarneboge above, first thing I do when getting settled is a wipe of the armrests, headrest, drink tray, IFE control, light and air vent buttons, etc. I use Lysol wipes mostly.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I certainly wish the best to our members with immune system and cancer challenges! You do us all a valuable service in reminding us we can take the initiative and clean that which we use and wish to avoid being contaminated or infected by.

Small bottles of Purell and other disinfectants, including various wipes, are ubiquitous, fit in a "Freedom baggie" and are very useful - with a trabeculectomy, Lady JDiver uses them quite a bit for similar reasons. (Admittedly, the time I got a nasty infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei - scabies from a seat on Mexicana some years ago - well, a bucket of Purell would not have prevented that. Ugh! Maybe a soaking in Jet A?)

(Aside, I prefer my Etyomotic earbuds to the old, clunky NR Boses that don't much reduce transient noise such as baby cries, people talking loudly, etc. - small, I know where they've been, and they allow me to side-sleep -plus they are noise blocking, not merely noise reducing.)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by greasy
Took a RT LAX-PVG last week in J, as usual was offered a BOSE headset shortly after takeoff. Just of curiosity I asked the FA whether or not AA cleans or sanitizes them in between flights.
The answer I got was " I think they do in Los Angeles, but most likely not in Shanghai. We turn around in 2 hours."
That got me thinking. This is Nasty. Without sanitizing these BOSE, isn't it the same as giving pax used slippers / pajamas / ear buds ??

P.S. The other airline I have experience with is CX, and between every flight they clean them and put a "Sanitized" Sticker on the headphone.
Originally Posted by SpeedBird17Victor
I would say they take them off, sanitize and ut them on the next flight back home....Like the cleaning of pillows etc
SpeedBird17Victor is correct. They are removed after each flight (or flown back to a station where they are removed) and a "new" set of headphones is catered for each flight. I don't know this for sure, but I'd be very surprised if the process of checking and repackaging the headphones for each flight does not also include cleaning them.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
just think: you rest your head on the same seatback as hundreds of thousands of people before you...kinda makes it a lot easier for me to slip on the used headset, personally, with or without purell.
Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, the Bose headset is unlikely to be the primary cause of spreading germs.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:54 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Not sure how much credence you sh/ put in a sticker...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:03 pm

doesn't bother me. it's probably about the same as the headrest which isn't cleaned either. similarly, i would offer that a substantial number of folks do not wash their hands coming from the toilet. the buttons on the seat recline apparatus are probably worse, as is the hook to pull out of the meal tray (and the meal tray itself). at some point, i think you either have to accept that the world isn't clean, or you should bring some sanitary wipes.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I do suspect they inspect each Bose for breakage, etc. and give it a sanitary once-over before repackaging it - even the three prong plug ones with seat power. (And Blumie says, so, so that pretty much sews it up for me - other than when he is obviously pulling my leg, of course. )

But, remember the toilet paper strips in hotels that said "Sanitized for your protection"? I'd still not drink from one...

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Not sure how much credence you sh/ put in a sticker...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
I prefer to put them over my ears. They tend to work better that way.
Forgive me. I have had a couple of adult beverages and couldn't resist.

Akarneboge, best of luck in your battle!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Originally Posted by Antarius
Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, the Bose headset is unlikely to be the primary cause of spreading germs.

Not true. They are vectors for staph and other goodies. And lice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.