Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

aa.com:

Earn miles (on Qantas Airways) Link

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
26 Feb 2013, AAdvantage Customer Service replied to our inquiry with:

"I am happy to say that any flights marketed by Qantas Airlines but operated by another airline, including Etihad Airways, is (sic) eligible to receive miles based on the booking class. The earning requirements would apply as if you were flying on a Qantas Airlines flight. Please visit www.aa.com/qantas to view the accrual chart."

From JonNYC at travelingbetter as of September 2013:

In addition, it's now my belief (and -some- of this was in this thread, but never as confirmed as I now feel we are approaching) here is where I think we are at:

QF
ALL QF #'d flights earn EQP/EQM/EQS, *except* operated by Jetstar (JQ) & Jetstar Asia (3K)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I will be flying QF 8355 SIN-DXB in few months in F, but the flight is operated by EK... can I credit miles to my AA miles account or just to EK or Alaska accounts?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:38 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You need to look here: (AAdvantage Partners - Qantas)

Earn miles when flying on Qantas Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights*.

Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

*Travel on codeshare flights marketed by Qantas Airways (booked under a QF flight number) and operated by Jetstar Airways only earn miles when the customer is traveling on oneworld Explorer Fare.
That would indicate to me that all you need is the QF flight number and eligible booking class (and not JQ metal).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I doubt you will earn EQM for the trip as the light is not operated by a oneworld airline.
You wil get the mile credited to the AAdvantage account though.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I doubt you will earn EQM for the trip as the light is not operated by a oneworld airline.
You wil get the mile credited to the AAdvantage account though.
The mileage earning rules for AAdvantage is that QF flights are eligable for EQM. There is no requirement for it to be operated by a OW airline. The only restriction ( as pointed out above ) is that JQ operated flights are generally ineligable for mileage accrual

QF operated by EK, under current rules, is entitled to mileage earning and so EQM earning
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The mileage earning rules for AAdvantage is that QF flights are eligable for EQM. There is no requirement for it to be operated by a OW airline. The only restriction ( as pointed out above ) is that JQ operated flights are generally ineligable for mileage accrual

QF operated by EK, under current rules, is entitled to mileage earning and so EQM earning
As I gave up on AA years ago I take it that you are correct.

I just get caustious when I read
Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.
To me that means the flights must be on QF or affliated (to AA) airline metal not the codeshare.
I did not dispute that you would get the miles just the EQM towards status.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Good news. Thanx, guys...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Qantas Affiliates means QantasLink and JetConnect

Per the top of this page: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Earn miles when flying on Qantas Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights*.

If you click through the codeshare link that means an AA codeshare on QF metal..

Thus I suspect no earning on AA.
Obviously earning on EK and QF.

On Alaskan I think also out of luck. Whilst the flight number falls within the allowed ranges the flight is not marketed and operated by Qantas.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/qantas.aspx
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:18 pm

From AA.com

Originally Posted by aa
Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights*.

*Travel on codeshare flights marketed by Qantas Airways (booked under a QF flight number) and operated by Jetstar Airways only earn miles when the customer is traveling on oneworld Explorer Fare.

There is no restriction on codeshares for Qantas, unlike some other carriers

e.g. for MH, codeshare earnings are restricted to flights where the operating carrier is a OW carrier

Originally Posted by aa.com
Miles are also earned on Malaysia Airlines codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and oneworld affiliates
Obviously this is only the rule at the moment. It is always possible that by the time QF and EK start their partnership that the earning rules will change such that codeshares on EK are excluded too

Even so, this is a question for the AA forum I would say
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Dave - I disagree with you here.
If you go to
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

and click on "codeshare" - it seems to define codeshare as AA codeshares on QF metal, not QF codeshare on EK metal.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Dave - I disagree with you here.
If you go to
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

and click on "codeshare" - it seems to define codeshare as AA codeshares on QF metal, not QF codeshare on EK metal.
If it was an AA flight number, then the rules as per earning on AA apply
If it is on a QF flight number, then the rules as per earning on QF apply

In that QF page, it shows that QF codeshares are permitted regardless of underlying airline other than that JQ is generally excluded
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:19 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] As this is about crediting to AAdvantage I will move this thread to the right forum [/mod hat]
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If it was an AA flight number, then the rules as per earning on AA apply
If it is on a QF flight number, then the rules as per earning on QF apply
This concept is most definitely not axiomatic in the AAdvantage world. For example, an AS-marketed DL-operated flight most assuredly does not earn EQMs, redeemable miles, or anything on AA, even though it was marketed by AS. I would be very surprised to learn that a QF-marketed EK-operated flight has earned EQMs.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
This concept is most definitely not axiomatic in the AAdvantage world. For example, an AS-marketed DL-operated flight most assuredly does not earn EQMs, redeemable miles, or anything on AA, even though it was marketed by AS.
Which is exactly in line with the terms for earning on AS which states for codeshare flights

Originally Posted by aa.com
Miles are also earned on Alaska Airlines codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.
For AS, only codeshare flights where the flight is operated by AA are eligable for mileage earning

I would be very surprised to learn that a QF-marketed EK-operated flight has earned EQMs.
For QF, currently there is no restriction on the operating airline for codeshares other than for Jetstar flights
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The point was that it isn't an axiomatic statement. That point stands unchallenged.

The QF rules appear quite clear to me that flights must be operated by Qantas, QantasLink or Jetconnect to earn EQMs. I'm not sure how that can be causing confusion for anyone.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:18 am

The point was that it isn't an axiomatic statement. That point stands unchallenged.

The QF rules appear quite clear to me that flights must be operated by Qantas, QantasLink or Jetconnect to earn EQMs. I'm not sure how that can be causing confusion for anyone.
I don't see how such an inference can be made from

Originally Posted by QF earning rules

that the flight has to be operated by QF or Jetconnect?

That inference would mean that QF codeshares on BA would not earn, which is definitely untrue

I read it quite clearly as

Qantas marketed and operated = Eligable
Qantas marketed ( i.e Qantas codeshare ) = Eligable

There is nothing in the QF earning rules ( unlike some of the other carriers ) that limits which codeshares are ineligable OTHER than Jetstar

When compared against the example quoted of AS codeshare on DL, the earning rules for AAdvantage are explicit in that this will not be eligable since the only AS codeshares that are eligable are those where flight is operated by AA

Where in the terms does it state that QF codeshare on EK is ineligable rather than just taking a view that it shouldnt be permitted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.