Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:46 pm

Assuming you are alone, a window makes the most sense. There is no one right answer, but I usually like row two on cabins set up like this (ie LH). I would say 2A or 2J. I am in 2J on a 77W in May.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I know this is supposed to be the "best seat" thread, but I don't think there is a "worst seat" thread, so this seemed like the place for this tip. If you like to look out the window, avoid seats 11A and 11J. These seats are located on a rib (if that's what it's called) of the fuselage, and really don't have windows at all.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:58 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Guys if I understand this correctly AA follows FEBO even in business class on international routes? From your experience how important is it to take it into account when selecting seats? Can it be that only one option is available if we are the last ones to be asked for our preference? We want to opt for 3A/4A on the outbound and on the inbound on our upcoming trip.
Yes, it can happen. More often, I've seen it down to 2 at the "wrong end" of FEBO. Also, I've seen popular entrees gone after the first row of FEBO asking.

(And to the first question, yes.)

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:19 pm

I would definitely go for row 2. I was in 1J on DFW-GRU earlier this month, and found the noise from chatting and clattering FAs in the F galley quite disturbing. When you are lying down in 1J, you look directly into the gallery area (and v.v.). IMHO the "new" F seats on the 77W are disappointing; AA missed an opportunity to create something world-class. The only real difference from the old F seats is the (much better) video screen, and the (poorly placed) remote for seat controls.
In fact, the new J seat, which is a huge improvement on the "old" NGBC seat, offers more privacy than the F seat.

Happy Travels.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you brp!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
How are you all able to get the Biz Class seats on the 77W?

Here's my situation:
I'm Platinum, four in our family, traveling DFW-LHR 77W. Currently have front row of coach in coach+. Called to pay for upgrades with cash and points, but since booking the ticket in January, no A upgrade seats have shown up. Yet, the cabin continues to fill and two weeks out, there are only 18 out of 60 seats left.

Who's getting these seats? What am I not doing correctly?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're on the waitlist, right?

Upgrade space from econ to biz will require C inventory, not A (A is for biz to F upgrades, among other things).

Part of the problem might be that there are four of you. Say that upgrade inventory is released one or two at a time. With four of you, you may be skipped over and singles or doubles below you on the waitlist are getting the seats.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Some of us are *gasp* actually paying for them! ^
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by panjabi
We have 2 kids that are 6 and 8 respectively. So, I guess we will put them in the middle aisle, as they like to chat to each other and my wife and I will have to either take the center aisle in the front/back of our kids or take the window seats on either side.

We may be forced to do the latter option as our kids are pretty good kids and quiet and they do like to be able to "see" us whenever they want
In my experience (on CX), the adults in window seats is the best option as you can help kids with cutting food, reclining them when they fall asleep, etc. I suggest you just book a row for your family of 4 and put the kids in the middle, with a parent looking after each one across the aisle.

And although my 6 year old kid is well behaved and habituated to lots of flights, I would never be out of his sight for when I'm most needed, i.e. in case of an emergency, even the smallest one such as a depressurization with resulting oxygen mask drop.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:56 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by brp
Yes, it can happen. More often, I've seen it down to 2 at the "wrong end" of FEBO. Also, I've seen popular entrees gone after the first row of FEBO asking.

(And to the first question, yes.)

Cheers.
With the advent of "Order in Advance" meals, won't this concern (hopefully) become moot?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts
Some of us are *gasp* actually paying for them! ^
Company $'s or personal $'s?

We're already spending $5,400.00 on our four tickets. You buying one or four?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
You're on the waitlist, right?

Upgrade space from econ to biz will require C inventory, not A (A is for biz to F upgrades, among other things).

Part of the problem might be that there are four of you. Say that upgrade inventory is released one or two at a time. With four of you, you may be skipped over and singles or doubles below you on the waitlist are getting the seats.
Unfortunately, I just did that yesterday. Bought tickets in January and setup EF to alert me when any seats in Biz opened up. According to EF, no seats have opened up.

Do people on the waiting list go directly to a C seat without the seats opening up first. Does someone at AA work the wait list? Maybe I should split our record locator into two and work them half and half?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Well, we are actually paying for them. The fare allowed us to go either with BA or AA, and I was going to buy BA but then saw that AA had new planes on the route and decided to try it. I was also able to upgrade one segment with Avios through BAEC on the LAX-LHR route (there were 7 'C' seats available).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Do people on the waiting list go directly to a C seat without the seats opening up first. Does someone at AA work the wait list? Maybe I should split our record locator into two and work them half and half?
Over the last year or so I've noticed that the gap between 'C' inventory being released and the upgrade list being processed has shortened.

So typically, EF alerts, are only showing when there is 'C' inventory left after the list is processed. There are exceptions as always, but generally I'll see my reservation get locked while the upgrade is processing as the main clue that I've cleared.

That step can take a few hours before a seat gets assigned.

This seems to be a change from the way it used to work where the C inventory would be released then later the upgrade list would be processed and seats assigned, this left a window in the middle where there was C inventory available, people on the wait-list yet you could phone in and snag the 'C' space even if you were not next on the list.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
77W Business hints...

The new herringbone seats are nice (I like the fabric inserts in the leather seats, as IMO sleeping on leather can get to be too warm and sticky), but for couples it's a choice between choosing middle seats, which are accessible from two different aisles - if one is tall and can easily access overhead, if you need to administer medication to your companion, etc. you will have the devil's own time helping the shorter or differently abled one as that person will be in the other aisle. You will be able to converse as long as you have the seat as forward as it will go, and perhaps you will need to lean forward a bit as well; as stated elsewhere, in the upright position it will be challenging to converse with your partner.

For purposes of accessing overhead storage, taking and leaving our seats together, etc. we often select one seat behind the other, e.g. our next 77W flight we have 8J and 9J for convenience.

(The above is also applicable in First - whether on the 77W or 772.)

FEBO will take a new meaning with the upcoming advance "entrée" (main course) ordering. Thread. If this works as advertised, we'll be able to see the offers sand order 30 days to >24 hours in advance and not have to play "FEBO roulette". ^ (This will appear in your online PBR as a "Flight Option".)

Note that reports state the inflight bar serving J and F cabins offers snacks, beverages and wines, not merely non-alcoholic beverages, as initially reported. I'd guess this could change if there is any "paranoiAA" about self-serving minors, etc.

I highly recommend this lengthy and amazingly illustrated blog of the FDW-GRU inaugural flight; no, you probably will not be served bubbly by Tom Horton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.