Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

SUMMARY: American Airlines had stated a rule for many years that AAdvantage members must fly a minimum of four (paid) AA marketed flights (including those operated by other carriers) or segments during the calendar year to earn status benefits, but this rule was not enforced until c/y 2014. As bhomburg shared and Djokison reports, May 2014 account summaries included the following:

The required minimum AA segments rule will not apply starting Jan 1, 2017.

The following information is now archival, as AA no longer imposes this requirement on AAdvantage members now that it has introduced the concept and requirement of earning Elite Qualifying Dollar minima.

Elite-Status Qualification Requirements

It has been reported here that status is not posting when members have earned the required miles or points but have not flown (paid) AA marketed flights; AA CSRs are telling them status is not reflected because of the absence of (paid) AA segments. (N.B. Award segments will not qualify.)

*Must fly at least four (paid) segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp.
Note: You must fly at least four segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year. Qualifying miles do not include class-of-service bonus miles, other participant miles or any other AAdvantage bonus mileage. Miles purchased through buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles do not qualify for elite status.
bhomburg and flatlander both have had verified with AA CSRs one must fly four AA marketed segments to qualify for AAdvantage status in a given year. Codeshare flights (AA flight number, operated by another carrier) count as AA segments:

"American Airlines marketed codeshare flights would count towards the four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, the American Connection carrier... required to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year".
Others have pointed out AA operated flights, even marketed as BA or CX, have also counted. These if true are generally considered as extra-ordinary and should not be counted on.

Award flights do not count toward the four segment requirement.

Lifetime or challenge-gained status are exceptions not requiring four AA marketed segments.

Previous and obsolete posts have been archived to: OBSOLETE / ARCHIVE: Questions about the '4 AA segments' needed to earn status

Revised 30 May 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE / OBSOLETE: Four (4) Minimum AA segments required to earn / keep status

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FormalHall
True, and I was aware it was published but not enforced. That said, most airlines with a minimum segment requirement have a counter on their account page so you keep track. The AA 'Current Elite Status Qualification' page is particularly misleading as mine says 0 miles to Platinum.
It isn't misleading, it is accurate. If the airline is going to enforce the 4 flight rule, then that is additional to the miles required .

Do people really need a counter ; what flights have been taken since 1 January is easy to check and most people can count to 4

It is a shame if AA is now enforcing the flight sector rule, but is understandable
Old May 5, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I agree that most people can count to 4, but equally having a display which says 0 miles to Platinum is ambiguous at best. Perhaps the segment counter should have an asterisk and some fine print that says 4 AA flights are required.
Old May 11, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
If for years you dont enforce the rule it would be a good call to let your members know so they can plan accordingly

I have 42000EQM for this year but I wont sweat it, but come years end AA might find themselves with alot of angry people!
Old May 11, 2014, 10:43 am

My AAdvantage esummary for May just came in and they added the following to it:
Did you know that to qualify for
AAdvantage elite status you must have flown at least 4 segments on American or US Airways?
Learn more »
So it seems they are in fact enforcing it, but they did give us a good 8 months notice. (even though it was always published)
Old May 11, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Djokison
My AAdvantage esummary for May just came in and they added the following to it:

So it seems they are in fact enforcing it, but they did give us a good 8 months notice. (even though it was always published)
Good discovery!

Although I'm fully in favor of them enforcing this-- without reservation-- I don't agree with your characterization of "but they did give us a good 8 months notice."

Not at all-- the membership qualification year is over 5 months in. So, anyone that "banked on" qualifying as they had in previous years with zero AA(/US) segments (and that's a larger group of members than you might think-- it's especially popular with Qantas fliers since their FF program is so hilariously awful earning/redemption-wise, other examples as well)-- and for some reason *can't* (/won't) fly those 4 segments-- they most definitely did not receive 8 months notice.

Again, I do NOT sympathize nor feel overly bad for those folks, per se-- published requirement, been ignored for years, etc. But, not "8 months notice" for those living overseas who got spoiled (and I do think that's the word) to the system as it's existed for many, many years.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good discovery!

Although I'm fully in favor of them enforcing this-- without reservation-- I don't agree with your characterization of "but they did give us a good 8 months notice."

Not at all-- the membership qualification year is over 5 months in. So, anyone that "banked on" qualifying as they had in previous years with zero AA(/US) segments (and that's a larger group of members than you might think-- it's especially popular with Qantas fliers since their FF program is so hilariously awful earning/redemption-wise, other examples as well)-- and for some reason *can't* (/won't) fly those 4 segments-- they most definitely did not receive 8 months notice.

Again, I do NOT sympathize nor feel overly bad for those folks, per se-- published requirement, been ignored for years, etc. But, not "8 months notice" for those living overseas who got spoiled (and I do think that's the word) to the system as it's existed for many, many years.
You're right, some people do plan these things well in advance and it isn't easy to just get up and find time/funds to all of a sudden fly 4 AA/US segments (especially if they live somewhere AA doesn't even serve.)

But indeed, like you also said, it's been a published requirement and whilst nice for some that it was ignored for so long, I can't blame AA for starting to enforce it now, nor do I think that they needed to give us advanced notice of it.

But yes, in terms of FFP's this isn't really advanced notice. But hey, at least they mentioned it (even if it was hidden in the bottom of the esummary), it was looking like they were going to not say anything and have a lot of elites drop to 0.

Last edited by Djokison; May 11, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old May 11, 2014, 11:32 am
Suspended

You're right, some people do plan these things well in advance and it isn't easy to just get up and find time/funds to all of a sudden fly 4 AA/US segments (especially if they live somewhere AA doesn't even serve.)

But indeed, like you also said, it's been a published requirement and whilst nice for some that it was ignored for so long, I can't blame AA for starting to enforce it now, nor do I think that they needed to give us advanced notice of it.

But yes, in terms of FFP's this isn't really advanced notice. But hey, at least they mentioned it (even if it was hidden in the bottom of the esummary), it was looking like they were going to not say anything and have a lot of elites drop to 0.
I'd *almost* argue that the fact that the rule was listed for over a decade and constantly ignored makes it even a bit more confusing to those who relied upon it. With the important, over-riding caveat that I'm strongly in -favor- of this move and will, personally, lose zero sleep over it-- just that if people here hadn't started reporting it (and then you posted today the new, bolder language)-- who knows when people would have realized it was getting enforced this year.

And, yes, "notice"-- to me-- big YMMV to all other points of view-- would look more like:

MADE UP EXAMPLE:
Effective for the 2016 elite qualification year (qualification for same beginning in Jan 1, 2015) the following program changes will take place:

- strict enforcement of the 4 segments on AA/US rule
- elimination of OneWorld Explorer awards
- multiple tiers of AAnytime awards

....etc., etc....

But, actually, was far more need for them to give notice of those 2 things rather than this, for sure.
Old May 11, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Free agent

Yes but if I'd known they were enforcing it last month I may have booked a couple of AS segments on their AA codes, thus ensuring my requalification for next year. But I didn't, so will not requalify. However, nothing is guaranteed in FF programs, so this will probably end up working to my benefit as I'll probably open a BAEC account and start crediting there to 'diversify my assets'!
Old May 11, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by klymen
Yes but if I'd known they were enforcing it last month I may have booked a couple of AS segments on their AA codes, thus ensuring my requalification for next year. But I didn't, so will not requalify. However, nothing is guaranteed in FF programs, so this will probably end up working to my benefit as I'll probably open a BAEC account and start crediting there to 'diversify my assets'!
Have fun flying over 100k but not getting Gold (that is entirely possible on BA.)
Old May 11, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yeah, I've noticed the disclaimer in my May summary as well:

This will have a pretty bad impact on a lot of non-US-based oneworld FF who favor(ed) AAdvantage over other OW programs. Just in the past few weeks, there's been a quite a few QFF refugees who were jumping ship after a recent devaluation. Now those people are screwed when they don't travel to the US on AA at least once per year.

I'll post a link to this thread in the OW forum.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
As an Australian based AAdvantage member this will be a problem for me. I completely understand AA's desire to enforce it but ti will still hurt.

Is it correct that the four segments must be marketed and operated by the listed airlines?

If I was to do, for example, LAX-LAS-LAX twice, would this count as only two segments?
Old May 11, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by danger
If I was to do, for example, LAX-LAS-LAX twice, would this count as only two segments?
That would count as 4 and would satisfy the requirement.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
That would count as 4 and would satisfy the requirement.
Also look for fares that allow a connection in order to do the sectors cheaply (i.e. I have seen UA fares filed on that route that allow a cnx in SFO.)
Old May 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by danger
Is it correct that the four segments must be marketed and operated by the listed airlines?
Yes. no partners, and no codeshares.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Four sectors and Life time status

I'll head for the notice up front group.

They also need to state up front whether the life time status holders (Gold or Platinum) will need the 4 AA segments. I do have opportunity later in the year but it's the principle of the thing. And whether I seriously want to pursue CX SL status.

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.