Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines 767-300 "NGBC" version best seats business and economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi all - new to posting on this site, but have used reviews in the past. I have flights booked for DFW - HNL on American 763 aircraft. Economy on day flight and business for overnight return. Looking for input on best seats as not familiar with plane layout etc. Am BA Silver member so have access to all preferred seats.
Currently 11A and B economy (mixed web site reviews on extra legroom for the 1st economy row?). 20 and 21 A and B still available as well
Business seats 3A and B
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
American Airlines 767-300 best seats business and economy

Row 21 in Economy. Extra legroom. Row 20 is also Exit Row, but bulkhead restricts legroom. 3A/3B are good. If you both want aisle access, choose the D/G seats.

SeatGuru.com is useful.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
AA is adding Main Cabin Extra (MCE) to the 763 fleet. If you see the mini-cabin with rows 11-13 (row 10 missing), the aircraft has MCE installed. I would attempt to snag a seat in this section, as it will provide more legroom than the typical economy seat - but a bit less than row 21. The current consensus is that row 12 is the best. Check out https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

In business, remember FEBO (start main meal service First Even, Back Odd flight number). I usually select row 3 on even flights and row 5 on odd flights for this reason.

Last edited by thomdis; Nov 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reason: defined FEBO
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT, sudall1!

I'm moving this thread to the AA board for further comments.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CVCONDE:19679065
Row 21 in Economy. Extra legroom. Row 20 is also Exit Row, but bulkhead restricts legroom. 3A/3B are good. If you both want aisle access, choose the D/G seats.

SeatGuru.com is useful.
Beware row 20. Not just legroom but no recline. In no way are they desireable seats
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Row 21 is the best row on a 767-300ER. Beware though it is an emergency exit though and it gets cold. I had 21J on a FCO-ORD flight a few years ago and let me tell you the extra legroom made all the difference. BTW I did get it assigned at the Airport. Pretty good for someone who has no status.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Row 20 should be avoided at all cost.

I would take row 11 in a heart beat if I knew I had Main Cabin Extra configuration. Basically 3 windows worth of space and no one reclining into you.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JMN57
Beware row 20. Not just legroom but no recline. In no way are they desireable seats
Originally Posted by HNL
Row 20 should be avoided at all cost.
Having flown JFK-MXP in row 20 (booked it because it was an exit row and I made a very bad assumption) I can say that I would almost rather not go somewhere than to sit in that row.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Row 21 is the best row on a 767-300ER. Beware though it is an emergency exit though and it gets cold. I had 21J on a FCO-ORD flight a few years ago and let me tell you the extra legroom made all the difference.
Naturally it depends on your personal preferences -- after I spent a few overnight flights shivering in that row (despite wearing several layers and covering myself with the red blAAnket), I ultimately decided that the frigid conditions and relative lack of padding in the cushion weren't worth the extra legroom. Nowadays I just try to grab a seat in the back of the plane without a seatmate.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Different strokes. It does get cold in the exit row -- I traveled next to a pax unused to this and he was threatening to sue the airline for such uncomfortable conditions.

It's been a while since I've flown in Row 20 but as a person with short legs I find it comfortable for a daytime flight when I can prop my feet on the bulkhead (another argument, I know) yet don't need to recline in order to sleep.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Is seat guru updated for MCE?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by thomdis
The current consensus is that row 12 is the best. Check out
In a MCE cabin or a regular coach mini-cabin? My flight to ORD changed to the MCE configuration and I selected row 11 but am now wondering whether to opt for row 12. Thank you.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
I have done this flight in both BE and in MCE even as recently as this weekend. Prefer BE 6A and MCE 12 A/J respectively. Do not like the exit rows on the jet at all - as others have mentioned they get too cold.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by Andriyko
In a MCE cabin or a regular coach mini-cabin? My flight to ORD changed to the MCE configuration and I selected row 11 but am now wondering whether to opt for row 12. Thank you.
MCE row 11, compared to row 12:
pro-- bulkhead so no seat reclining into your face.
con-- bulkhead, so a bit less leg room and no place to put stuff under seat in front of you

you get to decide which factors are more important to you.... personally, I'm 6'1", but I think row 11 has enough legroom (haven't tried it yet, though). I'd go for not having a seat reclined in front of me.

When I'm upgraded on the 763, I always try to get 3G or 4G.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko
[QUOTE=billgrates3;19681017]MCE row 11, compared to row 12:
pro-- bulkhead so no seat reclining into your face.
con-- bulkhead, so a bit less leg room and no place to put stuff under seat in front of you/QUOTE]

My reading in the consolidated thread on the MCE topic is that, because of the way things were laid out, row 11 may actually have more legroom, despite being the bulkhead. But I also haven't flown MCE as yet.

Edit: Looking at the pictures there, it is very obvious that row 11 is the superior choice in all cases.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Nov 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.