Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Main Cabin Extra ("MCE") Enhanced Legroom in Coach
Eligibility, costs, refunds, what happens if bumped from MCE, etc.

Link to MCE page on aa.com

aa.com: ... With Main Cabin Extra you get a seat towards the front of the Main Cabin with up to six inches of additional legroom to stretch out and relax. You also receive Group 5 boarding which gives you plenty of time to get on the plane, stow your luggage and get settled with prices starting at $20.

Beer, wine and spirits are on us; plus free Biscoff cookies or mini pretzels and soft drinks. Additional food or drinks may be available for free or to buy, depending on your route.**
AA announced enhancements to MCE:

“Enhanced bin access” (bins over MCE seats placarded for MCE use only; Flight Attendants will not be required to enforce this placarding as police).
*Overhead bin space availability varies by aircraft

“Complimentary beer, wine and spirits.”
**Free alcohol is available on flights with full drink service

On aa.com, FAQ on MCE: Link

Who gets complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats?

• AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members
    • oneworld® SapphireSM and oneworld® EmeraldSM members
      • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket*

All listed members are allowed complimentary access for up to 8 traveling companions on the same reservation.

AAdvantage Gold and oneworld® RubySM members

• Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available

Other restrictions

Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats.

*For travel ticketed in booking code Y on or after August 30, 2017, you'll no longer get complimentary Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats. This includes AAnytime awards booked in Main Cabin.
On a related note, and with a dedicated thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html and

Link to AA Preferred Seats FlyerTalk thread

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. Main Cabin Extra can be purchased by travelers on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award and by travelers on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award. This is for travelers without status. Ability to purchase on the SAAver award and requirement to pay on an AAnytime award are recent changes.
Older posts have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated)

Now that individual threads exist for each aircraft type, specific questions and comments regarding each aircraft should be posted in the relevant threads.

Examples:
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE questions, eligibility, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I wonder if I have missed this or did not read correctly but I think the Wiki is out of date concerning the purchase of Main Cabin Extra on award flights.
@CALlegacy , with your profile, you should be quite able to make changes to the wiki.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
@CALlegacy , with your profile, you should be quite able to make changes to the wiki.
Thank you. I did edit the Wiki. If anyone finds contradictory information that entry can be further corrected.
serfty likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Well this is interesting. Thanks to JonNYC again for retweeting this.

An enhancement is coming to MCE, including certain complimentary beverages, non-guaranteed overhead bin and "priority" boarding:

Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Well this is interesting. Thanks to JonNYC again for retweeting this.

An enhancement is coming to MCE, including certain complimentary beverages, non-guaranteed overhead bin and "priority" boarding:

https://twitter.com/xJonNYC/status/956254603829538817
MCE passengers already board in Group 5?

Putting placards on the bins is probably all they could do without getting push-back from the flight attendant unions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
I wonder how they check if someone indeed purchased the MCE seat.
As far as I know, some people with regular MC ticket that check in last , finally get MCE seat because the regular economy is full.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:34 am

So, I am traveling with a companion, but we are now under 2 PNRs which are "linked" (it was booked under 1, but we had to split it for other reasons). Since we are within 24hrs, I can select my MCE seat for free, but it is asking me to pay for my companion (as I figured). However, now that we've checked in, apparently the phone reservation agents cannot modify seating assignments as it is "under airport control" (right at check-in opening?). I can still make changes online though.

Can I just pay for the MCE assignment for my companion, and get it refunded? Has anyone had success in this? Update: I had no problem getting this refunded.

Last edited by Aero137; Feb 5, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hello. I'm visiting from the BA forum. I've just booked into Y on JFK-LHR aboard AA104 on 27th May this year. In the past, I've been able to seat select into MCE as a Oneworld Emerald, but the whole cabin is blocked, and even the phone agents can't put me there. Is this because of the impending rollout of premium economy? I would have booked on BA if I'd known this was going to be the case.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Aero137
So, I am traveling with a companion, but we are now under 2 PNRs which are "linked" (it was booked under 1, but we had to split it for other reasons). Since we are within 24hrs, I can select my MCE seat for free, but it is asking me to pay for my companion (as I figured). However, now that we've checked in, apparently the phone reservation agents cannot modify seating assignments as it is "under airport control" (right at check-in opening?). I can still make changes online though.

Can I just pay for the MCE assignment for my companion, and get it refunded? Has anyone had success in this?
Hi there, this has happened to me before, and the only folks that could move our seats were the gate agents (even the check-in agents said they could not). I was not an Admirals Club member at that time, but I think they can help if you are in the lounge. All in all "linking" reservations doesn't seem to do much other than benefit the airport in knowing who is traveling together, so I just make sure everyone is on my reservation to avoid the hassle.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by stheller
I know gold elite members can pick preferred seats without extra payment. But now it looks as though a non-elite (my wife) traveling with a gold elite (me) can also pick preferred seats without payment. Is that the way it is supposed to be?
Up to 8 people on your reservation get your gold benefits as long as you all booked together under the same reservation. You cannot combine reservations after the fact and "linking" them will not give them your MCE benefit, although gate agents are allowed to put people in MCE without a fee at their discretion.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
Hello. I'm visiting from the BA forum. I've just booked into Y on JFK-LHR aboard AA104 on 27th May this year. In the past, I've been able to seat select into MCE as a Oneworld Emerald, but the whole cabin is blocked, and even the phone agents can't put me there. Is this because of the impending rollout of premium economy? I would have booked on BA if I'd known this was going to be the case.
This is an IT problem, you can see this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ba-avios.html The phone agents CAN give you those seats, it just takes finding one that is able to recognize the problem.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:50 pm

Are they failing to put you in any MCE seat? Or only failing in assigning rows 16-19? MCE on 77W is 3-3-3, while Premium Economy is 2-4-2 (which is showing for that flight, even though it is designated as Main Cabin). Additionally, in EF, those seats are showing as blocked, not occupied. Your assumption is probably correct, these are blocked as they haven't rolled out Premium Economy on that route yet.

Technically, there are some seats marked as MCE that they should be able to assign still (rows 20, 31-32, center section of 33-35), but they are obviously inferior to "real" MCE seats.

Hopefully, the launch date will be after your flight, then they should open these Premium Economy seats as MCE.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Hi there, this has happened to me before, and the only folks that could move our seats were the gate agents (even the check-in agents said they could not). I was not an Admirals Club member at that time, but I think they can help if you are in the lounge. All in all "linking" reservations doesn't seem to do much other than benefit the airport in knowing who is traveling together, so I just make sure everyone is on my reservation to avoid the hassle.
Yeah, I didn't really want to wait until we got to the airport (it was an early flight, so we weren't planning on getting there much earlier than we needed to). I ended up just paying out of pocket, and requesting a refund; which was granted.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Aero137
Are they failing to put you in any MCE seat? Or only failing in assigning rows 16-19? MCE on 77W is 3-3-3, while Premium Economy is 2-4-2 (which is showing for that flight, even though it is designated as Main Cabin). Additionally, in EF, those seats are showing as blocked, not occupied. Your assumption is probably correct, these are blocked as they haven't rolled out Premium Economy on that route yet.

Technically, there are some seats marked as MCE that they should be able to assign still (rows 20, 31-32, center section of 33-35), but they are obviously inferior to "real" MCE seats.

Hopefully, the launch date will be after your flight, then they should open these Premium Economy seats as MCE.
I've been assigned 20D, which is less than ideal, as I'd much prefer a window to lean against to sleep. It's frustrating because the phone agents see them as occupied, and the twitter team are saying that 16-18 are used for 'day of departure for qualified customers'.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've been assigned 20D, which is less than ideal, as I'd much prefer a window to lean against to sleep. It's frustrating because the phone agents see them as occupied, and the twitter team are saying that 16-18 are used for 'day of departure for qualified customers'.
That's what seems to happen when the equipment loaded for your flight has Premium Economy, but the flight is before the launch of PEY for that route. At this point, since they don't know whether the plane will have PEY or not, they are not assigning those seats. I recommend that you check the seatmap often to see if it changes to a non-PEY config and then you can select MCE.

The new 77W with PEY has almost no MCE. See this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2017-a-4.html
armouredant likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA
Not sure if this was an "enhancement" or not, but impressed by the service I received on a flight POS-MIA yesterday. In addition to the standard drink service, flight attendant came through 2/3rds through the flight to take additional drink orders for MCE only and brought them back on a tray. Nice touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.