Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 12:36 pm

Booked JFK-NRT in F for x2, five days ago for a flight next year. AA ticketed them. However when I log into the JAL website with their confirmation #, it says our reservation status is "on hold" and we have until the day before departure to book. I have ticket numbers for both passengers from AA, but wondering if I need to follow up with JAL or if this is standard?
Old May 14, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by ahmorrison
Booked JFK-NRT in F for x2, five days ago for a flight next year. AA ticketed them. However when I log into the JAL website with their confirmation #, it says our reservation status is "on hold" and we have until the day before departure to book. I have ticket numbers for both passengers from AA, but wondering if I need to follow up with JAL or if this is standard?
Two weeks ago I just booked JFK-NRT for two in F for next April also.It took a while but my tickets now say ticketed
Old May 14, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
What would be the least expensive option if I wanted to change a AA award JAL J reservation from 7/21 to 7/24. Though I really wanted to experience business class for the first time having to settle for economy will be fine too. I was going to spend those days in Japan before going to Hong Kong, but I can skip the Japan portion too if it helps. And BA only shows premium economy for that the 24th.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by youth
What would be the least expensive option if I wanted to change a AA award JAL J reservation from 7/21 to 7/24. Though I really wanted to experience business class for the first time having to settle for economy will be fine too. I was going to spend those days in Japan before going to Hong Kong, but I can skip the Japan portion too if it helps. And BA only shows premium economy for that the 24th.
ORD/HND? or are you leaving from somewhere else?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:16 pm

You'll have to wait til they are tickets to actually select seats from JAL. You'll also need the JAL reservation numbers which can be gathered with a quick call to AA.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by krakendown
ORD/HND? or are you leaving from somewhere else?
ORD > NRT one way

If I have read correctly the only no fee option for changing change dates is same departure/arrival city, same class, same carrier. Just curious what other options I have & would $150 be the minimum fee for them?
Old May 14, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by youth
ORD > NRT one way

If I have read correctly the only no fee option for changing change dates is same departure/arrival city, same class, same carrier. Just curious what other options I have & would $150 be the minimum fee for them?
Assuming you have status you could redeposit the award and find something else that works. But if you have no status you're gonna have to pay like you mentioned.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Normally, "on hold" means it has not ticketed yet. AA usually takes a few days to ticket far out but you say you have AA ticket numbers? When you check your AA reservation does it say "ticketed". I would call AA to make sure it is ticketed and that you have the correct JAL confirmation number for your tickets before calling JAL. Pretty sure JAL is going to tell you it's not their problem (and it probably is not).
Old May 15, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I booked two First Class rewards on JL 3 for April of 2020 from JFK to Narita on May 8th. I received confirmation of ticketing on May 9th. Was immediately able to look at and manage my reservation on the JAL site using my JAL record locator number. Do you have ticket numbers on your AA confirmation email? I would call AA first since they are the ticketing carrier.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Thank you for the responses. To clarify, do have ticket numbers from AA and a JAL confirmation. AA website says ticketed. I have logged into JAL with the JAL confirmation I can select seats. However on the JAL website the status reads as “on hold.” Should I call AA or JAL or is this status normal?
Old May 15, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you for the responses. To clarify, do have ticket numbers from AA and a JAL confirmation. AA website says ticketed. I have logged into JAL with the JAL confirmation I can select seats. However on the JAL website the status reads as “on hold.” Should I call AA or JAL or is this status normal?
You might want to give JAL a call just to confirm everything is ok. Recently, with a different carrier, I had a situation where the tickets were somehow not associated with the booking reference (everything looked fine from the ticketing carrier’s end, but the operating carrier kept saying I needed to pay for the reservation). I am not sure if it would have ended up being a problem down the line (or even if your situation is like the one I faced). But you don’t want your booking somehow being cancelled. Since it sounds like you are ticketed, everything is probably going to be fine, but better safe than sorry.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:04 am

I have ticket numbers from AA for both of us and the JAL site says ticketed. If it were me I would call AA first and tell them what you are seeing on the JAL site and ask them to make sure everything is okay. If they say that everything is fine I would then call JAL and ask why it is showing as pending, that AA says it is ticketed.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:53 pm

I have ticket numbers from AA for both of us and the JAL site says ticketed. If it were me I would call AA first and tell them what you are seeing on the JAL site and ask them to make sure everything is okay. If they say that everything is fine I would then call JAL and ask why it is showing as pending, that AA says it is ticketed.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:59 pm

Issue resolved. Called AA. They reached out to JAL. Now both say ticketed. Thanks to all for your assistance.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
They show up on BA's website because BA shows what JAL has released at 360 days. I don't know off-hand when AA opens ticketing but you could probably test it fairly easily by attempting to see when flights are available for sale.

The language you are thinking of was in the Wiki: and referred to the old rules for releasing seats by JAL.
Following up on this, does anyone have a good read at what time AA ticketing opens? Is it a defined time daily, or does it differ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.