Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Summer 2023 is likely not going to be the season for good deals to/through Japan
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by umc
I see no availability for SGN-HND/NRT-SFO for the entire month of August. No availability in any class. Does anyone know if this is a glitch or all award tickets are booked? I checked on BA, AA, and AS's sites. All show no availability.
Most currently available awards might be booked for August. You missed the early window for best August availability. JAL might make more available as time goes on if loads stay light.

In your specific case you are running into multiple gating issues. There is no SGN-HND award space in August now, only limited dates SGN-NRT. In addition, the SGN-NRT flights do not meet MCT for connecting to the NRT-SFO flight so that is the main reason you are not finding anything in August to SFO. You need to look for a new US gateway where the flight meets MCT. SEA is one such destination but currently there is only one date I see with availability in August to SEA, 8/21 SGN-SEA. This seems to have a married segment issue though so you cannot book SGN-NRT and NRT-SEA together on 8/21 using AA, although AS does support it. You can use multi-city to book through on 8/21 for 90k miles in J. Or, for more options, book two one-ways to create a stopover in Tokyo, SGN-TYO and TYO-SFO.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:22 am
umc

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Most currently available awards might be booked for August. You missed the early window for best August availability. JAL might make more available as time goes on if loads stay light.

In your specific case you are running into multiple gating issues. There is no SGN-HND award space in August now, only limited dates SGN-NRT. In addition, the SGN-NRT flights do not meet MCT for connecting to the NRT-SFO flight so that is the main reason you are not finding anything in August to SFO. You need to look for a new US gateway where the flight meets MCT. SEA is one such destination but currently there is only one date I see with availability in August to SEA, 8/21 SGN-SEA. This seems to have a married segment issue though so you cannot book SGN-NRT and NRT-SEA together on 8/21 using AA, although AS does support it. You can use multi-city to book through on 8/21 for 90k miles in J. Or, for more options, book two one-ways to create a stopover in Tokyo, SGN-TYO and TYO-SFO.
Thank you so much for your insights. I didn’t anticipate award tickets for summer would dry up that fast. I did SGN-NRT-SAN-SMF before. So, thank you for suggesting NRT-SEA as another option. I’ll keep checking.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm seeing LAX-HND business class in may for 60k miles on alaska air, but the same flight on aa.com is llike 200,000 miles. What do you think it going on? would aa honor that 60k pricing
Old Dec 11, 2022, 5:43 pm

Does F awards release back into inventory when canceled?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by tfizzle
I'm seeing LAX-HND business class in may for 60k miles on alaska air, but the same flight on aa.com is llike 200,000 miles. What do you think it going on? would aa honor that 60k pricing
Doubtful. Alaska Airlines has been updating their systems to handle a new combined award chart and there have been very recent reports (in the last couple of days) of bugs in the availability shown on the AS website. If you cannot confirm the availability with another partner (BA, CX, QF) then it is probably phantom on AS and AA will never match phantom availability.

I have not personally seen problems with AS showing non-stop JAL flights. For the LAX-HND flight you searched on AS was that a non-stop or with connections?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Is the aa flight on JL? It is most likely that the 200k is AA flight which is "dynamic" pricing
skimthetrees and saaveraward like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Is the aa flight on JL? It is most likely that the 200k is AA flight which is "dynamic" pricing
100% this. That flight isnt on JL metal
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:43 pm

I'm trying to figure out why AA award search doesn't show JL award space between Seoul and Tokyo.
Both BA and QF award searches show availability on GMP-HND 1/15/23 (and almost all surrounding dates), but nothing shows up on AA.
Is there a way to still book the award using AA?
I called AA AUS today and the guy said he doesn't see the award space either.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by thinkmars
I'm trying to figure out why AA award search doesn't show JL award space between Seoul and Tokyo.
Both BA and QF award searches show availability on GMP-HND 1/15/23 (and almost all surrounding dates), but nothing shows up on AA.
Is there a way to still book the award using AA?
I called AA AUS today and the guy said he doesn't see the award space either.
Sort of. AA appears to think GMP-HND is only available as part of a married segment itinerary. If you search GMP-OSA on 1/15/23 you get GMP-HND-ITM. You could try booking it and dropping HND-ITM, not sure if they would be able to handle the drop if they think it's a married segment but worth a try. Otherwise, carry-on and walk off at HND. Does HND require you to pick up luggage for this International to Domestic transfer? If so, pick up luggage and walk off at HND if you can't drop the segment.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
AA reward JAL question

So I was able to find a AA reward from HND to ORD first-class tickets for 80k and I also got a business class ticket for 60k on the same flight for my daughter.

The issue is this we live in BOS, last week I saw that there was a reward ticket same flight to HND-BOS instead of HND-ORD. So I cancel my daughter business ticket and rebook it with points took 1hr for the point to show up on AA account. My issue is this I don't want to cancel my first-class ticket and wait for the point to show up and rebook again and if someone else books it up now I lose the first-class ticket completely.

Can I call AA and have them move my final landing to BOS instead of ORD or just buy the ticket from ORD to BOS?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teltehdog
So I was able to find a AA reward from HND to ORD first-class tickets for 80k and I also got a business class ticket for 60k on the same flight for my daughter.

The issue is this we live in BOS, last week I saw that there was a reward ticket same flight to HND-BOS instead of HND-ORD. So I cancel my daughter business ticket and rebook it with points took 1hr for the point to show up on AA account. My issue is this I don't want to cancel my first-class ticket and wait for the point to show up and rebook again and if someone else books it up now I lose the first-class ticket completely.

Can I call AA and have them move my final landing to BOS instead of ORD or just buy the ticket from ORD to BOS?
How soon is this travel?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
3 month time
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
You should be able to call or tweet them to ask them to rebook / reissue the ticket as an even exchange. Alternatively, if ORD-BOS becomes available in saver inventory (T) you can request them to add it as well.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teltehdog
3 month time
I suggest that you immediately put the HND-BOS F itinerary on a complimentary hold on aa.com or on the AA app before the seats disappear. (You do not need to have sufficient miles in your AAdvantage account to place an award on hold.) Once you see the page indicating that your award is held, note the PNR (record-locator) code. Then, immediately cancel the HND-ORD F award. Check your AAdvantage account an hour or two later to see if your miles have been redeposited. If they have, go back to your held HND-BOS reservation and purchase it. If they have not, then call AA for assistance.

Note that because these are partner awards, you might have to call AA to request refund of the taxes on the first award, even if the miles from that award are redeposited automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.