Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chinesescouse
Sorry if this has been addressed previously already. Any reason why F award space for A380 space on EY has been so difficult? I've looked at all available routes and all seem unavailable.
This was part of the "enhancement" to the program a few months back which was meant to open up more space with the miles required going up but hasn't happened.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by 869
EY locked it down earlier this year. From what I can tell - and I have only looked randomly recently - the A380 seats are being released much closer to date of flight. Others who are looking more aggressively might see something different
I found and booked AUH-SYD (A380 in F) yesterday, for travel next week. I also booked LAX-AUH on the same award. 150k AA miles + USD$26.40.

I had been monitoring daily for the past few weeks (using KVS Tool).

I have never flown EY F, so I was very pleased AUH-SYD opened up (I had confirmed seats LAX-SIN-SYD SQ A380 in F, which I will cancel today. That was a difficult decision!)
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by ghostboy
I found and booked AUH-SYD (A380 in F) yesterday, for travel next week. I also booked LAX-AUH on the same award. 150k AA miles + USD$26.40.

I have never flown EY F, so I was very pleased AUH-SYD opened up (I had confirmed seats LAX-SIN-SYD SQ A380 in F, which I will cancel today. That was a difficult decision!)
- Exactly how many days before your flight did EY A380 availability open up?
- In fact, what time/timezone was it specifically too?
- How many seats opened up? What was the pattern that you saw?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
I found the space around 5am PDT 22nd Sept. It could have opened up within a 12hr window before I checked at that time though; i.e when I was asleep
1 seat in F (the LAX-AUH F seat has been available for several days). Unfortunately I am not seeing a pattern. I just checked KVS for the same award AUH-SYD 29-Sep through 06-Oct, and there is nothing available in F.

I do see however:

- 2 x F AUH-SYD dep 24-Sep (77W)
- nothing on 25-Sep
- 1 x F AUH-SYD 26-Sep (388!!)
- 2 x F AUH-SYD dep 27-Sep (77W)
- nothing on 28-Sep

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:15 am

I found the space around 5am PDT 22nd Sept. It could have opened up within a 12hr window before I checked at that time though; i.e when I was asleep
1 seat in F (the LAX-AUH F seat has been available for several days). Unfortunately I am not seeing a pattern. I just checked KVS for the same award AUH-SYD 29-Sep through 06-Oct, and there is nothing available in F.

I do see however:

- 2 x F AUH-SYD dep 24-Sep (77W)
- nothing on 25-Sep
- 1 x F AUH-SYD 26-Sep (388!!)
- 2 x F AUH-SYD dep 27-Sep (77W)
- nothing on 28-Sep

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Presumably if I have a booking for 2x AUH-JFK in J, and a single F seat opens up, I can split the booking and upgrade at least one person?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:21 am

Thanks. Presumably if I have a booking for 2x AUH-JFK in J, and a single F seat opens up, I can split the booking and upgrade at least one person?
I'm not completely sure about that to be honest (assuming you've made the redemption with AA miles?); when I've done this previously, space for all pax opened up (ref: CX Y-F ex HKG in Jan this year). I've never tried to upgrade only 1 pax.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Yes, this can be done. PNR would be split, reinstate the old miles, refund old taxes and recollect new taxes, etc., but should be no problem to get one of the pax on the existing PNR onto a new one and into the higher award booking class.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by 869
EY locked it down earlier this year. From what I can tell - and I have only looked randomly recently - the A380 seats are being released much closer to date of flight. Others who are looking more aggressively might see something different
Yeah, I noticed that close in; I'll see some availability. Has any one discovered any consistencies with the searches, i.e. T14 for LH F?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Awesome! It can be frustrating to find the availability now but it's rather sweet when it works out last minute!

I was able to book 2 388 F seats on SYD-AUH earlier this year before the lockdown. Now just 2 days away and getting very excited as we head towards MLE!

Last edited by 869; Sep 23, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

I don't think that any increase in award availability would be enough to satisfy the huge demand which developed as a result of all the bloggers heavily plugging the EY Apartments. I would guess that, even if they opened up all the Apartment seats for award, the demand will still outweigh the supply.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
just need to raise the price then, stargold
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:54 pm

Given that the additional demand comes from partner awards rather than EY Guest miles, it's difficult without creating an extremely messy situation viz. partner redemption prices.

For example, AA has a single chart for all partners. If EY want to change how much they are paid for awards on EY F, they will either have to insist that AA create a separate chart for EY awards, or just block AA miles from redeeming on EY F.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:11 pm

On Sept. 22, easily booked IKA-AUH-JFK for departure Oct 24, with a full day layover in AUH to visit some friends. IKA-AUH in J, AUH-JFK in F, on EY 103 (the Etihad/non Jetairways flight) for 90k miles plus $33. AAgent had no problems seeing and booking the flights.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just managed to change our MLE-AUH-MEL-BNE flying in J/F/J to MLE-AUH-BNE in J/F. The AUH-BNE leg wasn't open for F redemptions when I ticketed these back in May and just happened to take a look today after reading this thread and it was available. Very easy conversation with EXP AAngel - she saw the flight and was able to make the change and request seats for us. Even save a whopping $0.80 on the taxes! :-) Really wanted to fly on the A380 to SYD but figured that the First Studio on the B789 isn't too shabby.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
AA agent can't see EY F seat

I searched through Etihad's website and can see Guest First available from both CDG/LHR to AUH. However, when I called the EXP desk, AA told me that they can only see coach seats available. I tried to call EXP desk at different time and talked with different people but got the same answer. Anyone noticed any issues with AA/EY's systems recently? Thanks a lot for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.