Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award bookable on AA.com (AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld and non-oneworld airline awards currently bookable on AA.com:
AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ
The current, up-to-date list of airlines that can be booked online for AAdvantage awards is at this link.
Airlines that can be booked for award travel on aa.com:

oneworld alliance partners
  • AA - American Airlines
  • BA - British Airways (awards incur YQ airline imposed surcharge)
  • AY - Finnair
  • IB - Iberia*
  • JL - Japan Airlines
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • QF - Qantas
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian Airlines
  • Now QR and SL are bookable too
Other airline participants
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • FJ - Fiji Airlines
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines
*as of July 2019

NOTE: To search for partner awards, go to advanced search from the awards search or home page and select all airlines.

For travel using AAdvantage miles on other airlines, you must call reservations (you only pay the applicable "optional" fee for if you can book online but choose to call).

List of airlines you can use in redeeming awards:
oneworld airlines (and their oneworld affiliates) are:
  • AA - American Airlines and American Eagle
  • BA - British Airways (and BA Cityflyer, Comair, Eastern Airways, Open Skies, Sun Air of Scandinavia, BA Limited) (incurs high YQ surcharge)
  • CX - Cathay Pacific (and KA - Dragonair)
  • AY - Finnair (and Privilege Style, Flybe Finland)
  • IB - Iberia (and Air Nostrum, Iberia Express) (incurs YQ surcharge)
  • JL - Japan Airlines (and J-Air)
  • LA - LAN (and LAN Express, LAN Colombia, LP - LAN Peru)
  • MH - Malaysia Airlines
  • RJ - Royal Jordanian
  • QF - Qantas (and QantasLink, Jetconnect)
  • QR - Qatar Airways
  • S7 - S7 (and Globus)
  • UL - SriLankan Airlines
  • JJ - TAM
Non-oneworld airlines one can redeem (MileSAAver) awards on are:
  • AS - Alaska Airlines
  • EY - Etihad
  • FJ - Fiji Airways
  • GF - Gulf Air
  • HA - Hawaiian Airlines
  • TN - Air Tahiti Nui
  • 9W - Jet Airways (India) (not partner any more)
Check this oneworld interactive map and timetable by Innosked to see potential routes, and you can sign up for British Airways Executive Club, Japan Airlines Miles and More or Qantas Frequent Flyer to use their sites to find awards (look for the lowest level awards) you can't see on aa.com. Also see this link to AA.com listing oneworld airlines with information about each.
Print Wikipost

AA award bookable on AA.com (AA, AS, AY, BA, FJ, IB, HA, JL, MH, QF, RJ)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:02 am
Suspended

Now Cathay:
https://viewfromthewing.com/2019/09/...award-booking/
GTITAN and WanderingGent like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Looks like Etihad has been removed completely. A sign of things to come?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Or it may be related to the fact that you can't book BA awards on AA.com..hopefully just a temporary technical glitch.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Or just some kind of a glitch, as mentioned above.

Did BA award flights between LHR-ATH disappear overnight?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Possibly - was able to make an award booking on EY by phone ok though
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Getting ready to book AAdvantage awards on QF. Detailed fare rules for the tickets state this about cancellation: "BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES."

Does this supercede AAdvantage awards being cancellable for no fee?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
Getting ready to book AAdvantage awards on QF. Detailed fare rules for the tickets state this about cancellation: "BEFORE TRAVEL BEGINS - MILEAGE MAY BE REINSTATED WITHIN 1 YEAR FROM ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUANCE DATE IF MILES HAVE NOT EXPIRED - USD 150.00 REINSTATEMENT CHARGE APPLIES."

Does this supercede AAdvantage awards being cancellable for no fee?
No. All awards are cancellable for no fee now. That language has remained in the award ticket "fare rules" for some time in spite of being out of date.
Tanic likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No. All awards are cancellable for no fee now. That language has remained in the award ticket "fare rules" for some time in spite of being out of date.
Only those departing North & South America though correct?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Only those departing North & South America though correct?
Nope: "all" means all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/award-travel.jsp#:~:text=and%20reinstating%20miles-,Canceling%20flight%20awards%20and%20reinstating%2 0miles,before%20the%20first%20flight%20departs.]https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/redeem/award-travel/award-travel.jsp#:~:text=and%20reinstating%20miles-,Canceling%20flight%20awards%20and%20reinstating%2 0miles,before%20the%20first%20flight%20departs.[/url]

(Scroll down to "Manage your award travel.")
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The link was blank. Wonder if I was mistaking this for Delta award cancellation fees.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The link was blank. Wonder if I was mistaking this for Delta award cancellation fees.
Sorry about the link. Just Google "cancel AAdvantage awards" and it should be the first hit.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:08 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
What's going on with the taxes/fees calculations for roundtrip award travel?
Why would the roundtrip taxes and fees be much higher than two one-ways for the exact same flights?
(I'm aware of BA's high fee ($700) for US-Europe award flights when flying BA across the Atlantic; that's not what I'm complaining about. I can get around that by booking a one-way outbound trip that avoids BA)

Example 1:
One-way business class US-Sweden on AA and AY: $5.60 in taxes and fees (no "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
One-way business class Sweden-US on BA and AA (BA across the Atlantic): $274 in taxes and fees ($126 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
Roundtrip business class US-Sweden-US on AA, AY and BA (BA across the Atlantic on the return), the exact same flights as the two one-ways: $883 in taxes and fees ($700 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")

Example 2:
One-way business class US-Sweden on AA and BA (BA across the Atlantic): $756 in taxes and fees ($700 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
One-way business class Sweden-US on BA and AA (BA across the Atlantic): $274 in taxes and fees ($126 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
Roundtrip business class US-Sweden-US on AA and BA (BA across the Atlantic both ways), the exact same flights as the two one-ways: $1605 in taxes and fees ($1400 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
What's going on with the taxes/fees calculations for roundtrip award travel?
Why would the roundtrip taxes and fees be much higher than two one-ways for the exact same flights?
(I'm aware of BA's high fee ($700) for US-Europe award flights when flying BA across the Atlantic; that's not what I'm complaining about. I can get around that by booking a one-way outbound trip that avoids BA)

Example 1:
One-way business class US-Sweden on AA and AY: $5.60 in taxes and fees (no "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
Roundtrip business class US-Sweden-US on AA, AY and BA (BA across the Atlantic on the return), the exact same flights as the two one-ways: $883 in taxes and fees ($700 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")

Example 2:
One-way business class US-Sweden on AA and BA (BA across the Atlantic): $756 in taxes and fees ($700 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
Roundtrip business class US-Sweden-US on AA and BA (BA across the Atlantic both ways), the exact same flights as the two one-ways: $1605 in taxes and fees ($1400 in "OTHER TAXES & CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES")
The BA fuel surcharges vary by country of departure, with the US having some of the highest while Sweden and Denmark have some of the lowest.

So when booking a roundtrip US-Sweden-US, you will be subject to the higher ex-US fuel surcharges even for the return segments since the PNR's first point of departure is the US.

But by splitting it to separate one-way PNR's, you would only be subject to the lower ex-Sweden fuel surcharges for the return segments since PNR #2 first point of departure is Sweden.

Make sense?
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The BA fuel surcharges vary by country of departure, with the US having some of the highest while Sweden and Denmark have some of the lowest.

So when booking a roundtrip US-Sweden-US, you will be subject to the higher ex-US fuel surcharges even for the return segments since the PNR's first point of departure is the US.

But by splitting it to separate one-way PNR's, you would only be subject to the lower ex-Sweden fuel surcharges for the return segments since PNR #2 first point of departure is Sweden.

Make sense?
Thanks for the explanation. If BA's fee scheme makes sense is a different discussion (), but now I know why the higher fees are shown for the roundtrip.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: QF
I have an AA award booking in J from MEL to LHR via Tokyo on JL and AY.

With the Ukraine situation its looking like the flights will either be cancelled or retimed to misconnect. I cant see any other award seats for those dates on another route (QF/MH/QR etc). Does AA have responsibility to rebook me or will they just refund my points?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.