Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to LHR page on aa.com

Link to London-Heathrow web pages

Link to Wikipedia page on LHR

Link to FT - AA thread London Heathrow (LHR) <-> Gatwick (LGW) Transport / Transfer (master thread)

The vast majority of arriving passengers with a passport from the European Union, Switzerland or, effective 20 May 2019, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA can now use arrival immigration eGates without any fee or pre-registration requirement. But for those transiting LHR with a non-UK/non-Ireland destination and no luggage to claim during transit at LHR, the eGates are generally irrelevant since most such passengers don’t enter the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area.

NOTE: Connecting flights between Terminal 5 and Terminal 3 - please allow a minimum 1 hour 30 minutes between flights.

If you are unsure which terminal your connecting flight departs from, see "Which terminal does my flight depart from / arrive?"

For gate to gate connection assistance in T-3, AA Five Star Service can be used (fee, must be in AA Business or First on incoming or outbound flight). For interterminal assistance, see https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...cierge-service for Heathrow Meet and Assist.

LHR is composed of four terminals (Terminal 1 is now permanently closed). American Airlines and many oneworld airlines (e.g. AY, BA, CX, IB, JL, QF, RJ, UL) use Terminal 3. MH and QR use terminal 4. BA uses Terminals 3 and 5. These terminals are not connected - you can not walk from one to the other. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.

Transferring/ Connections at LHR interterminal can be done three ways:

Link to interactive custom Heathrow Flight Connections Guide

1) Landside: exit your terminal and process HM immigration and customs as if you were arriving in the UK, then take the free train or busses connecting to other terminals. With most hotels, if you are staying overnight you will most likely utilise the "Heathrow Hoppa" busses costing £6 for one person or £11 for a family one way, £11 for one person and £21 for a family return; family is up to 2 adults and 3 children. A small discount is available for buying your ticket at a ticket machine in select hotels or via the HH website. You must proceed landside if planning to use the AA (or BA) Arrivals Lounge, which close at 1400 hrs / 2 PM as these are landside. (See post no. 627, here, for local land & hotel transport options.)

Inter-terminal landside connections can be via rail (free) or walking, depending on the terminals. See the diagram for Heathrow Express terminal connections, free when you are traveling within the airport's confines. See here You can also travel between the terminals, or Hatton Cross station, free of charge via the Piccadilly line, but you must touch a contactless payment card/Apple/Google Pay or Oyster card on the faregates at the start and end of your journey. When changing terminals via Heathrow Express or Elizabeth line you can either do the same or get a free paper ticket.

2) Airside:

Follow the signage to Flight Connections, where you will proceed a bus waiting area at airport ground level and take a bus to your next terminal, where you will proceed through boarding pass, carryon check a standard airport security check. Now you are ready to catch your next flight. Flight connections Minimum Connect Times are ordinarily 75 - 90 minutes (the latter for connections between T3 and T5).

NOTE: You must be at your connecting gate 20 minutes prior to departure. If you must recover bags and re-check (e.g. oneworld to non-oneworld or LCC) you must check your baggage in at least 45 minutes prior to departure.

Use this tool available from this page on LHR's website that include a step by step guide through Flight Connections. The page also offers videos. Use this tool to see where your next flight departs / arrives.[/quote]

Typical Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 Flight Connections path:

T3–>T5 see posts 674, 675.1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

3. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here.

4. Ready to fly: Staff will check that you're in the right place, your hand baggage meets airline regulations, and you have time to catch your onward flight.

5. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

6. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

7. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

NOTE: Flight departure gates are listed in only sufficient time to get to the gate, not hours (or often an hour) prior to departure.

Typical Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 Flight Connections path:1. Welcome to Heathrow!: On leaving the aircraft, please follow the purple signs for Flight Connections.

2. Flight Connections bus: A dedicated bus will transfer you between terminals. Buses are free and depart every six to ten minutes.

NOTE: As there is a new AA desk at the bus boarding point, you can get your AA boarding pass and pass the AA oral security questioning while you await the bus.

3. Hand baggage check: At this point your hand baggage will be checked to ensure it conforms to UK and EU regulations. Please be aware that liquids in containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

4. Security screening: You will pass through security screening at this point. If you are a non-UK resident and have goods to declare to HM Customs, please use the Customs telephone before security control.

5. Airline desks: Need to visit your airline's ticket desk? You'll find it here. But see 2A if flying AA.

6. Departure lounge: Check the screens in the departure lounge, which will be updated when your gate opens and again when your flight is ready for boarding.

Lounges:
Airside lounges at LHR are designated departure lounges. You use the lounge in the terminal you're departing from – arriving and departing passengers are separated, so it's not possible (for example) to use a terminal 5 lounge if you are arriving in terminal 5 and departing from terminal 3.

Terminal 3 lounges include:

Airside, departure lounges:
American Airlines Flagship / First Class Lounge - Lounge Zone H
American Airlines Admirals Club - Lounge Zone H
British Airways Galleries First and Club lounges - Lounge Zone F
Cathay Pacific First and Business lounges near Gate 11
Qantas Airways London Lounge - Lounge B / Gate

Landside, for arriving AA and BA long haul passengers who flew in first or business class, or any class if oneworld Emerald (no guest)
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge (recently renovated)

Terminal 5 lounges:

Airside lounges:
British Airways Concorde Room (longhaul BA First)
British Airways Galleries First Lounge - South Concourse
British Airways Galleries Club lounges both North & South Concourses
British Airways Galleries Club lounge T5B Satellite

Landside, for arriving BA First/Club World passengers and oneworld emerald members in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus (no guest)
British Airways Galleries Arrivals Lounge

For hours, access, amenities, etc. consult the oneworld lounge access tool here

Link to the most useful London Heathrow International Airport website. Click on "Connections" for a connection assistance tool.

For long connections where you might wish to go to London, you can use "the tube" (Underground, ~50 minutes, cheapest), busses to various locations, taxis (the most expensive, about 45 minutes) or "minicabs" and other hired cars, the Heathrow Express (15 minutes to Paddington station) or Heathrow Connect (30 minutes to Paddington). You can also Uber or bus to nearby Windsor town, and with sufficient time even tour Windsor Castle.

For links to local and local hotels, other airports (such as Gatwick, ~1:30), railroad stations (Feltham, Watford, Woking and Reading), intercity coaches (such as Oxford) start at this page.

The Tube takes 50 minutes from the Central / Terminals 2/3, T-4 or T-5 stations using the Piccadilly Line. Link to LHR tube page; link to London Toolkit page on LHR and Piccadilly line; link to Transport for London page.

The Heathrow Express / HEX departs T-5 and takes 21 minutes (it stops at Central / T2/3, six minutes) and onward to Paddington (15 minutes, about 1/3 of the time a taxi would take, though a taxi or bus can tale longer in some traffic). The trains have 15 minute headway (depart every 15 minutes) and have baggage racks.

(If you stay at Hilton T-4, board HEX at T-5, go to Central / T-2/3, get off, take the connecting train to T-4 (4 minutes), all free. From T-4 follow the signs to the hotel, perhaps 10 minute walk by covered board walk).

The Elizabeth Line (formerly TfL Rail) costs less, takes 30 minutes to Paddington from the Heathrow stations, and continues to key central London destinations such as Tottenham Court Road and Liverpool Street.

This London Heathrow International Airport connection / transfer thread has been split off from the original thread, which can be read here: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow (obsolete, trailing thread).

For other terminals please see ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Also see this page for MCT information.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:10 am

Maybe the Arivals lounge on a 3hr connect? If for nothing more than a shower.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by roder
So actually have this exact situation, and I'm a bit confused. Arriving AA LAX-LHR (T3), then connecting to BA LHR-DUB (T5). In J and EXP. Will I not be able to use the T3 Lounges on Arrival, and then Transfer to T5 via Bus Later?
Assuming you arrived before the arrivals lounge in T3 closes, you could clear immigration at T3, use the arrivals lounge, and then use Heathrow Express to transit to T5 where you would reclear security (and you would need to make sure you did this no later than T-35 before your flight from T5). But you wouldn't be able to use the arrivals lounge, reclear security in T3 and then take the transit bus over to T5. Also, you may not have much time to use the arrivals lounge at T3 before it closes depending on how long it takes to clear immigration. Really, it would probably be best just to skip the arrivals lounge, and just follow the purple connections sign to transit to T5, unless you have a long connection time.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
Assuming you arrived before the arrivals lounge in T3 closes, you could clear immigration at T3, use the arrivals lounge, and then use Heathrow Express to transit to T5 where you would reclear security
Sorry for the confusion, the Arrivals Lounge is not what I'm interested in. I want to clear T3 Security, use the CX lounge, then transfer to T5

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
At LHR it's a YMMV situation with regards to going to the T3 lounges ... But if it was longer, 5-6 hrs or more, I'd probably give it a shot as the CX F lounge is way nicer than the BA Galleries F in T5.
I have a 5 hour connection, and spending most of that time in the CX lounge is my goal... Which is why this thread is making me a little nervous!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:01 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by roder
I have a 5 hour connection, and spending most of that time in the CX lounge is my goal...
Follow flight connections as if you're going to T3. At some point they'll tell you that your next flight is out of T5. Others in this thread have reported that they'll let you back into T3 if you have a good reason ("I'd like to visit the Cathay Pacific lounge, and I promise to leave there in plenty of time to get to T5"). I have not tried this, but it's certainly worth a shot. At worst, you'll end up slumming it in the BA lounge in T5, which isn't really all that bad. The other option, as mentioned by others in this thread, is the AA Arrivals Lounge. If it were me, I'd choose in this order: CX (if possible), AA Arrivals (if before 2 pm), BA in T5.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Others in this thread have reported that they'll let you back into T3 if you have a good reason ("I'd like to visit the Cathay Pacific lounge, and I promise to leave there in plenty of time to get to T5").
That reason isn't going to allow you through. Tbh there are also reports of not getting access to the T3 lounges with a T5 bp - which isn't surprising.

Also the route from T3 departures airside back to the airside transfer buses is not obvious for those who are unfamiliar with T3.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
I combed the first six pages and last three of this thread but couldn’t find an answer to this. So excuse me if it has already been posted.

Originating in LHR tomorrow on AA737 to PHL.

Traveling with someone with no status (and I’m just a measly gold).

What is recommended/needed in terms of arrival time at airport before flight?

We’ll be checking bags.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by BOSishome
I combed the first six pages and last three of this thread but couldn’t find an answer to this. So excuse me if it has already been posted.

Originating in LHR tomorrow on AA737 to PHL.

Traveling with someone with no status (and I’m just a measly gold).

What is recommended/needed in terms of arrival time at airport before flight?

We’ll be checking bags.

Thanks for the help!
Check-in closes an hour before departure. To give yourself some comfort aim for 90mins before. You don't need any longer than that.
Calchas likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Connection time at LHR

is this doable? I only have carry on.Depart Dallas/Fort Worth, TX to Barcelona, Spain

Monday, November 19, 2018 to Tuesday, November 20, 2018

FlightDepartArriveTravel timeAircraftClassSeats 78 American Airlines10:15 PM
DFW1:10 PM
LHR
Arrives November 208h 55m77WBusinessOvernight flight or connectionGet alerts for this flightGet alerts for this flight 78Stop: London, United Kingdom (LHR) 470 British Airways3:00 PM
LHR
Departs November 206:10 PM
BCN
Arrives November 202h 10m320Business
  • 1F
Old May 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
FYI: The formatting on your post is a mess and its kinda difficult to read. So if I understand it properly:

That's a T3/T3 connection, I believe. No problem and you'll have lounge time to boot.

Entirely doable even if it was a T3 to T5 connection.

Edit to add: carry-on only is irrelevant to your ability to make this connection if it's on a single ticket. Any bags checked would be transferred at LHR and you wouldn't see them until BCN.

*usual caveats about flight being on time.

Connecting in LHR is not nearly as scary as people make it out to be.

That all said - these flights are in November. Expect one or more schedule changes between now and then.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Doable even without the Fast Track security you are eligible for
Old May 9, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
FYI: The formatting on your post is a mess and its kinda difficult to read. So if I understand it properly:

That's a T3/T3 connection, I believe. No problem and you'll have lounge time to boot.

Entirely doable even if it was a T3 to T5 connection.

*usual caveats about flight being on time.

Connecting in LHR is not nearly as scary as people make it out to be.

That all said - these flights are in November. Expect one or more schedule changes between now and then.
sorry about the formatting it's difficult to read I know.

I arrive into LHR T3 at 1:10 PM and my BA flight to BCN is at 3 PM. I thought that BA flight would leave T5 but apparently not.

Thanks for the info.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
sorry about the formatting it's difficult to read I know.

I arrive into LHR T3 at 1:10 PM and my BA flight to BCN is at 3 PM. I thought that BA flight would leave T5 but apparently not.

Thanks for the info.
For future reference: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/which-terminal.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:22 am

Flying out of LHR, hand baggage only, with boarding pass already in hand. Is there any reason to stop by the check in counters to get the security questions done with?

Or can this be accomplished easily at the gate? I am EXP if that matters.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: EXPLT
I did this 2 times this past week 3–>5–>3 BA/AA CARRY IN bags only with mobile boarding pass..no need to stop at Any check in counters..took 15 mins each time to transfer btwn terminsls. I guess just make sure ur passport info is properly loaded into yr BP profile. AA US-bound flight there is an unavoidable chrckin counter st the gate as always

This thread was was extremely helpful as I too had concerns with tight connection times at LHR. Thx to all for very valuable inputs here!!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
1. I'm flying from LAX-LHR-ARN next week and my layover is 2hrs 15 mins. That should be doable, even going between terminals right? DOes being OW Sapphire make me eligible for fast track security?
2. On the return, I have a ~6hour layover at LHR. Land at London from CPH at around 8:30AM, flying out at 3:15PM to LAX. Is that enough time to take the train into London and walk around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.