Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Overweight Bags with Plat Pro/Exec Plat Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Globalist, DL Silv, Hilton Dim, Marriot Gld, Amex Plat

Hi,

I am traveling from GRR-CLT-RSW Friday in First. I have three 70lb bags that I will be checking. I have contacted my AAdvantage Desk, reservations department, live chat, and everything in between and it seems I can't find a stable answer on the policies. With first I know you get two bags 70lb but because of my Plat Pro status my higher baggage allowance applies, which would be 3 bags. Continuing, would the weight limit be 50lb or 70lb? United and Delta give their higher tier elites all 70lbs as well, so I would be hoping American would follow suit. Interestingly enough, on AA.com under Overweight Bags, it says "Flagship® First and Flagship® Business Plus confirmed customers and AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and oneworld® Emerald members can check 3 bags up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost." But, whenver I call they always say it is 50lbs and no more.

Please let me know if you have any experience with Overweight bags being Plat Pro/Exec Plat.
spiritkat09 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA.com is pretty clear, as an EXP you get 3x bags up to 70 lbs. each.

A reservations agent or chat rep or anyone else isn't going to have a clue about this so just disregard whatever they told you.
ZenFlyer, Antarius and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

A reservations agent or chat rep or anyone else isn't going to have a clue about this so just disregard whatever they told you.
But I would certainly print this out and bring it to the airport with me.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
These threads where people call the airline and expect that to somehow matter really amuse me. The website is clear, just have it on your phone when you check in. But I've checked 3 >50lb bags as an EXP no problem.
Check likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
It is 70. I was charged for two bags over 50 but under 70 at an outstation during one flight and I called AA and they refunded me.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
My latest AA ticket receipt shows a maximum weight of 50 lbs as EXP
I would expect to pay the overweight fee and then pursue a refund later (which seems to be the case, based on davecraze with experience.)
You can print out the website but if the computer says to charge, how much flexibility can the agent have to waive it (or, how much would they care to?)
What a mess. The ticket should say 70lbs.

Has been a problem since at least June:
EXP - Bag Benefits for Companions Verification (3 Bags and 70 Pounds for Companions)
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

It's not just reservations agents and chat reps. I've had ticket counter agents try to charge me for bags over 50lbs at the check in counter at an AA hub as an EXP. That was a fun discussion...
Old Dec 14, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
It's not just reservations agents and chat reps. I've had ticket counter agents try to charge me for bags over 50lbs at the check in counter at an AA hub as an EXP. That was a fun discussion...
I've had numerous tell me there would be a fee, but I've always just said "go ahead and check them and let's see what the computer says" and there's never been a fee. Crazy that others have been charged but at least AA gives a refund. If they charged me I would probably feel compelled to file a complaint at least with the DOT or a consumer protection agency (if not a class action) because someone needs to get them to fix their systems so that they aren't charging anyone the fees wrongfully. This is the sort of thing that would probably be very easy to uncover in discovery in order to see how widespread of a problem it is. I imagine most people just pay the fee because they think they have no choice (if they're even aware of the benefit).
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
My latest AA ticket receipt shows a maximum weight of 50 lbs as EXP
Odd. I routinely check a 50+lb bag as EXP and nobody bats an eye. They do put the "HEAVY" tag on it, but that's it.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Was flying with my Platinum girlfriend today and we were both upgraded to first. At the bag drop, the GA flagged her bag for being 53lbs (3lbs too many) and said only Platinum Pro and above gets to check overweight bags. Maybe he didn’t see we were in first, because the rules clearly state first class gets 2 bags up to 70lbs. Wasn’t worth any resistance, so I just rechecked it under my (PPro) name.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Odd. I routinely check a 50+lb bag as EXP and nobody bats an eye. They do put the "HEAVY" tag on it, but that's it.
Same here
Antarius and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I don't know what causes them to randomly question people. Is it a system glitch that shows incorrectly? Is a check in agent who thinks they know more? Is it both?

Like you, I've rarely had issues checking in heavy or many bags. Occasionally, when I am doing something unusual, I've been quoted a fee which I've had to explain to the agent why I shouldn't be charged; one example is when I moved my sister after she graduated from LA to the east coast. We were in F, which meant I could check 3 bags + 1 for EXP and she could check 3. We checked 7 boxes in for free. The agent initially tried to charge me a fortune for the last box, but after showing her the EXP +1 bag rules and checking with her supervisor, checked it in gratis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.