FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1307046-archive-aa-24-hour-cancellation-policy-offer-24-hour-hold-obsolete.html)

matkusopet Sep 9, 2012 8:05 am

only 4-hour hold?

Hi all,

I built a crazy MR and put it on hold via the AA website. All flights were on AA, and I thought it'd hold for 24 hours since the screen and every step of the hold process (that I recognize from previous holds) was the same. But when I went to purchase this morning, it turns out that the itinerary was only held for about 4 hours. Any insights on this? Of course, I understand that I should have read more carefully, but I was in a rush and on the way out, so not complaining, just curious. Is this a case where I can call AA and have them um, resurrect the itinerary for purchase? Has anyone found success with that :rolleyes:? Thanks!

supergrandslam Sep 9, 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by matkusopet (Post 19281601)
Hi all,

I built a crazy MR and put it on hold via the AA website. All flights were on AA, and I thought it'd hold for 24 hours since the screen and every step of the hold process (that I recognize from previous holds) was the same. But when I went to purchase this morning, it turns out that the itinerary was only held for about 4 hours. Any insights on this? Of course, I understand that I should have read more carefully, but I was in a rush and on the way out, so not complaining, just curious. Is this a case where I can call AA and have them um, resurrect the itinerary for purchase? Has anyone found success with that :rolleyes:? Thanks!

Your itinerary originates in US?
The 24 hours holding time is based on the time zone at the originating airport of the itn.

matkusopet Sep 9, 2012 8:20 am

yep, just from nyc...held at 7:30ish pm last night and the hold canceled out at 11:59 pm last night. guess that party wasn't worth rushing to after all

Originally Posted by supergrandslam (Post 19281657)
Your itinerary originates in US?
The 24 hours holding time is based on the time zone at the originating airport of the itn.

beerup Sep 9, 2012 8:32 am

I built a crazy MR and put it on hold via the AA website. All flights were on AA, and I thought it'd hold for 24 hours since the screen and every step of the hold process (that I recognize from previous holds) was the same. But when I went to purchase this morning, it turns out that the itinerary was only held for about 4 hours. Any insights on this?

Originally Posted by matkusopet (Post 19281673)
yep, just from nyc...held at 7:30ish pm last night and the hold canceled out at 11:59 pm last night. guess that party wasn't worth rushing to after all

Most likely a fare sale that ended yesterday or an advanced purchase requirement (e.g., 7, 14, 30 days) that made the fare ineligible today. When you hold flights you should always check the time the hold expires. In my experience for short holds, the expiration time of the hold is always stated.

brp Sep 9, 2012 8:54 am

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 19281724)
Most likely a fare sale that ended yesterday or an advanced purchase requirement (e.g., 7, 14, 30 days) that made the fare ineligible today. When you hold flights you should always check the time the hold expires. In my experience for short holds, the expiration time of the hold is always stated.

However, if the system gave you less than 24 hours, call Web Services (800-222-2377) within the 24 hours and they will reinstate the original fare. I've never seen this written anywhere, but it's happened in every case I can recall reading about.

Cheers.

sukn Sep 9, 2012 9:25 am

Regular agents can extend the hold to 24-hrs. so the most obvious step is to call them when aa.com displays a hold as expiring that night.

brp Sep 9, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by sukn (Post 19281944)
Regular agents can extend the hold to 24-hrs. so the most obvious step is to call them when aa.com displays a hold as expiring that night.

Cool info. I knew that the web folks could effectively do this by repricing at the prior rate at purchase, but I didn't know that agents could circumvent the advance purchase rules during the hold to extend it in the record. Good to know.

Cheers.

supergrandslam Sep 9, 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by matkusopet (Post 19281673)

This happened to me recently when AA system was down on Aug 29th.

As usual monthly update batch is going on this weekend, I guess OP just had bad luck/timing.

RogerD408 Sep 9, 2012 9:58 am

Hi all,

It may be you selected a fare that expired that day. If you really want to take the trip and it is pricing out higher, you might try a call to web services and see if they can/will resurect your original fare. It's been known to happen.

BigRedBears Nov 14, 2012 10:27 am

AA ticket across several carriers. Can I cancel within 24 hours?

I purchased RT ticket on aa.com that involves AA, BA, and EI. Can I cancel within 24 hours? AA seems to think that I can only do that if the ticket involves AA flight.

Thanks.

brp Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

I'm assuming that this did not allow a hold (were all of the flights AA codeshares)? If a hold had been allowed, they do not need to allow cancellation. If no hold was available, they do.

I'd recreate the itinerary and see if a hold is allowed.

Cheers.

BigRedBears Nov 14, 2012 10:42 am

Hold wasn't allowed because of IE flight.

Just spoke to AAgent. After some back and forth they offered a choice of fare difference or refund.

Zaynab Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears (Post 19682230)
Just spoke to AAgent. After some back and forth they offered a choice of fare difference or refund.

Well done! And kudos to the CSR for keeping customer happy.

ashill Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Zaynab (Post 19683279)
Well done! And kudos to the CSR for keeping customer happy.

Well, kudos to the CSR for following the law (assuming this is a US-originating itinerary). As brp alluded to, federal law requires airlines to provide at least one of a 24 hour hold and a 24 hour no-penalty refund.

BigRedBears Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm

It was US-UK-Ireland-UK-US itinerary with AA, BA, IE carriers.

CSR put a good fight and kept going to ticketing desk to check something.