FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA 24 Hour Cancellation Policy: Offer 24 Hour Hold (obsolete) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1307046-archive-aa-24-hour-cancellation-policy-offer-24-hour-hold-obsolete.html)

sukn Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA (Post 18919368)
I don't know a lot about AA, but I do know on DL if you cancel any ticket within 24 hours, they refund you 100% no change fee. in most cases the charge never even posts to your account. I always thought all airlines do this??

AA offers a free 24-hold on most itineraries so they do not offer a refund option after ticketing.

JDiver Jul 12, 2012 4:54 pm

The FAQ is the place to go; you would then encounter the post that has information and links regarding your question.

Originally Posted by EZETravel (Post 18919337)
Anyone succeed in canceling a non refundable ticket in the first 24hrs.

I did have changed fare and dates without the penalty but never tried canceling.

I assume if you cancel it you would get a voucher.

NauticalWheeler Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm

As I read it, you can cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as the flight is more than one week away.

If you put your ticket on hold and then purchased, I do not believe you are entitled to a refund.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

"Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, OR cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date." (emphasis added)

brp Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler (Post 18919468)
As I read it, you can cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of purchase as long as the flight is more than one week away.

If you put your ticket on hold and then purchased, I do not believe you are entitled to a refund.

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

"Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, OR cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date." (emphasis added)

You did not read it correctly. If the airline gives you the ability to do a 24 hour hold, whether you actually use that or not, they do not have to give refunds after purchase.

Cheers.

NauticalWheeler Jul 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 18919480)
You did not read it correctly. If the airline gives you the ability to do a 24 hour hold, whether you actually use that or not, they do not have to give refunds after purchase.

Cheers.

I wondered about that. Thanks for the clarification.

Xero Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm

There is so much confusion here, so hopefully this will clarify.

The DOT gives airlines and booking agents two options to comply with the new regulations. Airlines are free to choose either of them.
(1) 24 hour cancellation and refund payment -OR- (2) 24 hour hold without payment
For AA only flights, AA.com has chosen (2).

If your AA.com reservation is able to be placed on hold and you ticket it, you are NOT entitled to a refund or change once it has ticketed.

If your AA.com reservation is not able to be placed on hold (itineraries that include non-AA flights or ones with promo codes) you must ticket it immediately to keep the fare. If you made your reservation greater than 7 days in advance, you may cancel the ticket for a refund within 24 hours.

Note the following:
1) Not all AAgents might be aware of this policy. If you encounter one that is not, ask for a supervisor. AA recently sent out a memo to its phone agents regarding this so these instances have reduced.
2) If you used a one time use promo code and you cancel the flight within 24 hours, you lose the value of the promo code.

Of course, as brp stated above, a sympathetic AAgent can let anything happen.

sukn Jul 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 18919567)
Note the following:
1) Not all AAgents might be aware of this policy. If you encounter one that is not, ask for a supervisor. AA recently sent out a memo to its phone agents regarding this so these instances have reduced.

Remember this fun exchange? :p

Originally Posted by sukn (Post 18807066)
A new reminder memo has gone out so hopefully it will improve things.

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 18808309)
The memo hasn't done much.

Still, most AAgents say something like "all the fare rules still apply". They are completely clueless about it. I sent a DoT complaint over this.

However, one AAgent suggested to cite the DoT Passenger Bill of Rights 6/14/12 Update to help clueless agents get enlightened.

Xero Jul 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sukn (Post 18919601)
Remember this fun exchange? :p

Yeah, but from what I can tell, they are getting better at it. :)

DataPlumber Jul 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sukn (Post 18919377)
If the ticket is still in purchase mode (not yet ticketed), you can cancel without penalty.

Once ticketed, the policy does not allow for refunds.

Having said that, I'm sure you will hear from people who were able to get a refund because of a sympathetic agent.

The answer is you can call and even though the ticket has been issued, ask the agent or your TA to *void* the ticket. I am unsure the time threshold, but I have had no problem asking for this even if I bought the ticket in the AM, and by COB I was able to push off the meeting. I have to do this a handfull of times a year and always have no issue.

SkyTeam777 Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm

So if making changes (not just a cancelation) on an award ticket booked from an Executive Platinum account even if the actual passenger is a general member, the EP fee waiver applies? Or does the person have to pay according to their own non-status level?

iexaltu Jul 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 18975137)
So if making changes (not just a cancelation) on an award ticket booked from an Executive Platinum account even if the actual passenger is a general member, the EP fee waiver applies? Or does the person have to pay according to their own non-status level?

I believe the fee waiver applies in this case. Even if the passenger is a GM, so long as the origin and destination don't change and the date of travel is more than 21 days out, there are no change fees.

ffI Jul 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 18756649)
Reinstating Award Tickets - (Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

I have had to pay fees for canceled awards for me using miles from an EXP.

brp Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 18976491)

If you mean that the EXP used their miles to book you a ticket and then cancelled, this should not have happened. If you mean something else, then I don't know what you're saying.

Cheers.

mvoight Jul 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 18975137)

OP said the miles were from his partner's account, a non-EXP.
The waiver applies if the account the miles are from belongs to an EXP.
The status of the passenger doesn't matter.

mvoight Jul 22, 2012 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 18976491)

How long ago? I think this changed last year.
If the miles were from an EXP's account, there is currently no charge for this.