Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] Help: I need XXX miles by XXX date (2012 onward - Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] Help: I need XXX miles by XXX date (2012 onward - Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by kicker
I am aware that I can buy gift cards at horrible prices. Short of using them to fly, are there any other options?
- You can book an award ticket. The dates of your travel could be changes within 1 year period from the date of booking. This is the best way for using miles anyway. Inter Hawaii one way flights are 5,000 AA miles + $5.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Theoretically, it's when the activity occurred, not so when the miles finally posted. You can 1) take remedial action (e.g. donate, buy), 2) call AA if there is any problem, 3) call AA when the miles do post if in fact they have been AAmazingly efficient and purged the account in 18 months to the day...
- While I cannot confirm this with AA, several years ago I have managed to keep a DL account from expiration (at the time DL miles were also expiring) by making a small purchase through their shopping portal. The next day the miles from DL account disappeared according the expiration but in several weeks re-appeared again together with the miles credited for the purchase. One can call AAdvantage customer service before the expiration date and verify whether AA would follow the same rules.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- While I cannot confirm this with AA, several years ago I have managed to keep a DL account from expiration (at the time DL miles were also expiring) by making a small purchase through their shopping portal. The next day the miles from DL account disappeared according the expiration but in several weeks re-appeared again together with the miles credited for the purchase. One can call AAdvantage customer service before the expiration date and verify whether AA would follow the same rules.
Just got off the phone with AAdvantage Customer Service. They say that if miles expire and later activity shows up dated prior to expy date the computer reinstates them.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Just to update, the donated miles posted today, and my account is again in good standing through 12/20/2013.

06/20/12 MILES FOR KIDS IN NEED -1,000 0 -1,000

Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Dec 20, 2013 26,113
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kicker
Just to update, the donated miles posted today, and my account is again in good standing through 12/20/2013.

06/20/12 MILES FOR KIDS IN NEED -1,000 0 -1,000

Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Dec 20, 2013 26,113
Yes, but I'm looking to get miles, not donate them to keep mine alive. Mine won't expire for quite some time. Just ~550 miles short of an award ticket.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
You can donate [cash] to one of AA's charity partners through the link on their website. I believe the options are either the USO or Race for the Cure. These will net you 15 miles to the dollar. Minimum donation is $25 I believe.

You can donate $37 and get the 555 miles plus a tax deduction (donated amount minus AA's estimation of the miles value)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Quickest way of adding ~40 AA miles to the AAdvantage account?

I need to add ~40 miles to a family member's AAdvantage account to make it to the award level for a redemption.

I made an AA eShopping purchase two weeks ago but that is taking some time to post. Is there an alternate way to add ~40 miles faster than these AA eShopping miles would post. Would appreciate advice from other experts here.

TIA!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:40 am

Quickest way of adding ~40 AA miles to the AAdvantage account?

Do you have citi aaadvantage credit card
If not apply for one
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jeelele
I need to add ~40 miles to a family member's AAdvantage account to make it to the award level for a redemption.

I made an AA eShopping purchase two weeks ago but that is taking some time to post. Is there an alternate way to add ~40 miles faster than these AA eShopping miles would post. Would appreciate advice from other experts here.

TIA!
Buy miles?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

TIA!
In my experience, miles from 1800flowers post very very rapidly.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has been known to allow a small negative balance in one's AAdvantage account. Of course, this option would require calling AA, which could entail a $25 service fee for the booking.

I might enroll my credit card in AAdvantage Dining and go eat something. 40 miles = $13.35 spend once one is registered and an "Online Member" (sign up with an account and e-mail address for offers). These miles tend to report to AA weekly.

TIA!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
+1 on the dining for miles to get your 40 AA.

I did it once just to get the 1k sign up bonus which requires a $50+ dine. Wasn't hard to do for valentines day dinner

A lot of pizza places (IE Cheap) are on miles dining so it is worth a look.

Foo
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has been known to allow a small negative balance in one's AAdvantage account. Of course, this option would require calling AA, which could entail a $25 service fee for the booking.

I might enroll my credit card in AAdvantage Dining and go eat something. 40 miles = $13.35 spend once one is registered and an "Online Member" (sign up with an account and e-mail address for offers). These miles tend to report to AA weekly.
Originally Posted by foofiter
+1 on the dining for miles to get your 40 AA.

I did it once just to get the 1k sign up bonus which requires a $50+ dine. Wasn't hard to do for valentines day dinner

A lot of pizza places (IE Cheap) are on miles dining so it is worth a look.

Foo
Thanks for this suggestion. ^ If the miles post on a weekly basis, I think it will work just perfectly. Off to a nearby restaurant for a quick meal and it should do it.

Thanks once again!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for this suggestion. ^ If the miles post on a weekly basis, I think it will work just perfectly. Off to a nearby restaurant for a quick meal and it should do it.

Thanks once again!
You can also sign up Netflix for $7.99 a month (+ tax depends on your state) by Friday and should see the 2500 miles posted on following Mon or Tue - at least this is how UA promo works and I assume AA's works the same.

There is a thread for this in the Miles Buzz forum - do a search you would find the correct 2500 link.

Must use a CC that has never been used for Netflix subscription.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Can I Reserve a Partner Award and THEN Buy AA miles?

I see a one-way "F" class award on the KVS tool, flying CX, that I want, but am 5k AA miles short of the 67.5k miles I need. I am afraid of spending $200 to buy the mile upfront, and then not being able to book this one and only flight available.

Can the international partner awards desk reserve first, and then ticket within the 72 hours that purchase miles post?

Last edited by Bowgie; Aug 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.