Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Hainan Airlines (HU) codeshares: earning, flying, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The AA - HU partnership and code sharing between US and China and connecting flights in China began 7 Dec 2011.
Flying on Hainan Airlines / HU will not earn AAdvantage miles unless one is flying an AA codeshare operated by HU.

American Airlines - Hainan Airlines Codeshare Service link

American Airlines codeshares on Hainan Airlines flights between the United States and China, plus connecting flights within China.

Airport Connections
Beijing - Terminal 1

- Terminal 2 (international arrivals and departures)
Seattle – South Satellite Terminal

Additional Information: For additional information not listed above, go to www.hainanair.us
You may need to connect to / from AA to book an AA codeshare on HU; codeshare fare classes may be in higher classes than one can book on HU, and may cost significantly more than booking as HU in some cases.

From TheStreet, courtesy of Lomapaseo:

The key elements of the American-Hainan agreement are:
  • Codesharing (AA*) on direct flights operated by Hainan beyond Beijing that will allow customers on American's Chicago- Beijing flights to make connections to cities within China.
  • Codesharing (AA*) on direct flights operated by Hainan between Beijing and Seattle.
  • Codesharing (HU*) on direct flights operated by American beyond Seattle that will allow customers on Hainan's Beijing- Seattle flights access to American's domestic network.
  • Codesharing (HU*) on direct flights operated by American between Shanghai and Chicago/ Los Angeles and between Beijing and Chicago.
  • Improvement in flight schedules and connection times to benefit customers of both airlines.
  • Increased opportunities for customers of each airline to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles/points on services operated by the other.
Print Wikipost

AA and Hainan Airlines (HU) codeshares: earning, flying, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Henry82
Does anyone know if AA coded (HU operating) flights earn EQPs? And if yes, is there anything about earn rate for fare classes?
All AA-coded flights earn EQMs/EQPs/EQSs as if they were AA metal. Partner rules only apply if it is partner-coded.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is correct. And AA codeshares sometimes price into specific fare buckets that are not the lowest fare fare buckets (to put it mildly). Your best bet is AA to PVG or PEK and HU onward as an AA codeshare.

Originally Posted by German Expat
I can get a well priced SEA -> PEK flight on HU (for around 4k) but the same AA code share is 10k. So reading all the information correct I will not be able to get AA miles if I book direct with HU (flight 496 and 495).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
How To Book AA Codeshare on Hainan to China

I can find the flights I wanted in May from BOS-PEK-XIY and RT on the Hainan website but for the life of me can't figure out how to book them as AA codeshare flights.

Is there some trick in the AA.com web site that displays partner codeshare flights?

The Hainan J fare structure is quite attractive but I would like to get AA mileage as well.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Review the last page or two of this thread for a similar question and JDiver's answer:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2011-a-4.html
Also, iirc, AA was only offering codeshares on some of Hainan's flights.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Review the last page or two of this thread for a similar question and JDiver's answer:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2011-a-4.html
Also, iirc, AA was only offering codeshares on some of Hainan's flights.
So far no help in finding out what BOS-PEK flights are code share and how to book them on AA.com.

If one searches for Hainan on AA.COM it only gives you a link to the Hainan-US web site.

If you search the HU web site for american airlines you get no hits
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
So far no help in finding out what BOS-PEK flights are code share and how to book them on AA.com.

If one searches for Hainan on AA.COM it only gives you a link to the Hainan-US web site.

I haven't found an AA codeshare on the BOS-PEK. If you look at the earlier posts there was a list of codeshare services, I don't know if the list is still current.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far no help in finding out what BOS-PEK flights are code share
The lonely 4x/week HU flight is not codeshared by AA. www.aa.com indeed has the correct information by showing none.

In any case, you can only get HU fares if you book that flight under the HU code.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:44 pm

In case anyone is interested, Hainan Airlines is expected to get approval for a new route from San Jose to Beijing in not too distant future.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:26 pm

The wiki has some of the information available; the wiki post is shown at the top of each rendered page in this thread.

It appears BOS-PEK is not sold as an AA codeshare by AA. Try running it as if you were ticketing on aa.com, see if it comes up. You can try the downloadable timetable at aa.com as well, from here.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
The wiki has some of the information available; the wiki post is shown at the top of each rendered page in this thread.

It appears BOS-PEK is not sold as an AA codeshare by AA. Try running it as if you were ticketing on aa.com, see if it comes up. You can try the downloadable timetable at aa.com as well.
Even if it was, you can be damn sure that $3000 J fares would not be on offer as code shares. (I'm reminded of the days when AA used to code share with BR; die hard AA would routinely pay much more to fly Y than Deluxe just to get AA miles... seemed insane to me, but to each his own.)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Even if it was, you can be damn sure that $3000 J fares would not be on offer as code shares. (I'm reminded of the days when AA used to code share with BR; die hard AA would routinely pay much more to fly Y than Deluxe just to get AA miles... seemed insane to me, but to each his own.)
True enough; as it says above and in the wiki, AA code shares offered may cost significantly more than HU marketed flights.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, SPG Preferred
Earning AA EQM on Hainan /HU?

I am AA EP. Was wondering if I get EQM if I fly Hainan from the US to China!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SoloTravelerinRed
Only if you book it with an AA (codeshare) flight number:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...itle=codeshare
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by SoloTravelerinRed
Since the subject of your post pertains specifically to AA, I've moved the thread to our American Airlines forum where it will likely receive more knowledgeable attention.

FlyerTalkers replying to this query are asked to please note that this post originated at the flame-free Information Desk.

Thank you, and best of luck to the poster!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:27 am

Your AA status is immaterial. You only earn EQM on HU if you fly as an AA marketed flight (codeshare). That could require an AA connection to HU to prchase.

American Airlines - Hainan Airlines Codeshare Service

American Airlines codeshares on Hainan Airlines flights between the United States and China, plus connecting flights within China.

Airport Connections
Beijing - Terminal 1

- Terminal 2 (international arrivals and departures)
Seattle – South Satellite Terminal

Additional Information
For additional information not listed above, go to www.hainanair.us

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...ers/hainan.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.