Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0
Screenshots are pointless, those are showing you BA and other OW flights (I'm betting mostly BA connections) and not AA metal in U across the pond.
Then do the dang search yourself. I can't spoon feed you everything. If you'll check my original post, I already said that these dates have AA flights available. Every single date I've looked at so far (a few dozen) have had AA flights available, including the dates between Christmas and New Years that I mentioned a couple posts back. Like I already said, I don't have time to check every single date individually. I'm sure someone will find a few dates that don't have AA space. But the vast majority of them seem to have the space available.

Remind me to keep my helpful heads up to myself next time.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:36 pm

For example 2 seats on 7/24 flights 50, 78, 80. Also saw DFW-FRA pop up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
How ugly? I'm not seeing anything on AA, only BA with econ mixed in.
On the 16th, you're looking at an overnight layover in NYC followed by a 5 AM flight to OKC via CLT. On the 17th, you could do an overnight in NYC, DFW, or CLT, and start out the next morning between ~7-8 AM. 3 legs for all flights departing the 17th as well.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobert24
Then do the dang search yourself. I can't spoon feed you everything. If you'll check my original post, I already said that these dates have AA flights available. Every single date I've looked at so far (a few dozen) have had AA flights available, including the dates between Christmas and New Years that I mentioned a couple posts back. Like I already said, I don't have time to check every single date individually. I'm sure someone will find a few dates that don't have AA space. But the vast majority of them seem to have the space available.

Remind me to keep my helpful heads up to myself next time.
Thank you for the heads up.

Just IGNORE those meaningless posts from the rude people. If they dont see it it is THEIR problems, not yours. Dont waste time to prove yourself to them - they do not deserve it.

We all know you have done a good job alerting the community each time you have found the goods.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:01 pm

Certainly don't mean to suggest I don't appreciate the poster pointing out good info, but statements like "Looks like space is available almost every day through the end of the calendar" are just not true.
Attached Images    
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Screenshots are pointless, those are showing you BA and other OW flights (I'm betting mostly BA connections) and not AA metal in U across the pond.

Exactly. 99% of those 57.5 flights are all BA....

Meaningless....

Just checked 12/19 - 12/14 dfw-lhr---nothing on AA.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly don't mean to suggest I don't appreciate the poster pointing out good info, but statements like "Looks like space is available almost every day through the end of the calendar" are just not true.
Again, 99% those blue squares are BA flights.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by enviroian
Again, 99% those blue squares are BA flights.
How shocking & surprising
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:59 pm

His original statement about availability over the next 5 weeks is helpful. Sorry it does not work out at Christmas. The acid response here just discourages sharing.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
His original statement about availability over the next 5 weeks is helpful. Sorry it does not work out at Christmas. The acid response here just discourages sharing.
No acidic responses here. I'm only posting what was available when I looked. If AA metal j saver seats were indeed available when he posted then good for those that got them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No acidic responses here. I'm only posting what was available when I looked. If AA metal j saver seats were indeed available when he posted then good for those that got them.
It was available for the period he mentioned.

You should have learned by now that any AA metal availability is extremely fleeting - it might just be an error from AA side and they quickly took it down, or others who instead of trying to quibble, but immediately go to search if anything useful for them thanks for the heads up.

It is not the first time that the good availability only lasted a few hours and it would not been the last time this happens.

If the period that has good availability work for you, great. Thank the poster for the heads up.
If the dates you need / want dont have availability, then better luck next time.

Why people would even spend (waste) time to disprove others who for goodness sake to give a heads up to the community is totally beyond me.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:02 am

Exactly. 99% of those 57.5 flights are all BA....

Meaningless....

Just checked 12/19 - 12/14 dfw-lhr---nothing on AA.
Availability has definitely dropped since yesterday, but there's still space out there. Assuming you meant 12/19-12/24, you've got space available on 12/24. AA 78 DFW-LHR, or AA 2320 & 86 DFW-ORD-LHR.

It's possible some of you are searching for 4 tickets at a time or something like that. That will definitely be harder to find. I'm always looking for 1 or 2.

That's pretty funny. I feel like I should point out that the only date that's actually selected in your screenshot (LHR-DFW on 12/7) has at least two J seats available on AA metal on two different flights - AA 79 direct LHR-DFW, and AA 57 through MIA.

If you're not able to see this space online, try calling AA. It exists, and is bookable.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Thank you for the heads up.

Just IGNORE those meaningless posts from the rude people. If they dont see it it is THEIR problems, not yours. Dont waste time to prove yourself to them - they do not deserve it.

We all know you have done a good job alerting the community each time you have found the goods.
Thanks for the reminder
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by diver858
I just took a look; there are between 1 - 4 SAAver awards available daily throughout May 2018, start to go away on Sundays and Thursdays.

Issue is that you are flying to a major international hub, AA wants you to use a less desirable routing (with a connection or 2).

One strategy is to book the least undesirable SAAver option, either as a group of 4, or perhaps in pairs now.
1. Set alerts for the more desirable options on a site like Expert Flyer. Odds are reasonable that flights will become available between now and then - perhaps 1 or 2 at a time - call AA to grab them IMMEDIATELY (no cost to change time, day of travel, routing of an award).
2. Booking 10 months out, there is also a good chance of schedule changes, which will often provide an opportunity to call, request one of the more desirable options.
3. Worst case scenario: At 3 weeks out, 1 or more members of the party are still stuck with the undesirable SAAver option. As it only cost you 7.5k miles, eat it, book cash or AAnytime ticket(s).

I did not bother to look, but SAAver availability should be better to LGA, will likely require a connection - same guidance applies.
Thank you for the advice.

I'm seeing that most of these options throughout May are either to LGA or in the afternoon. Currently, my plan is to use AA miles either to or from JFK as a positioning flight. Taking land transport from LGA->JFK is an option.

I hope SAAver tickets open up that I could snag -- either to or from JFK.

I'll see what I want to do, there shouldn't be any rush, right?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.