Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:49 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I take it you've not tried DFW on a Monday morning. I had to wait about 50 minutes once to get to the front of the line (before being directed to the empty PreCheck lane). Even if they don't go for a dedicated PreCheck lane it would be good if they could walk along the regular PA lane when it's over a certain length, scan peoples BPs and pullout PreCheck-eligibles.
Same thing happened to me, only the wait was about 25 minutes. Why can't they scan the BP before people get in line?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:32 pm

I have another question for you guys...what device/app are you using to scan your boarding passes to check for the 3 that determines whether it will scan LLL?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I have another question for you guys...what device/app are you using to scan your boarding passes to check for the 3 that determines whether it will scan LLL?
I use an Android app conveniently called "barcode scanner" by a developer called Manatee. Not sure if it's available for iPhone. There are others listed upthread.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
More Miami success, and I'm now 18/26 from MIA.^
For those still counting at home, with my latest success I'm now 19/27 from MIA.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:51 pm

TSA Expedited Screening & Global Entry

Pardon me if this has been answered previously. I was unable to find an answer in this lengthy thread.

For the past year I have had PreCheck through the American Airlines TSA Expedited Screening Pilot Program. PreCheck works well for me. I do not want to do anything that upsets my success rate.

Is there any advantage in entering my new Global Entry membership number next to Known Traveler ID in my AA profile? Will that hinder my PreCheck success?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Oh. The term "looking" was meant literally? I suppose if they can recognize an area of the patterns just like the actual scanner, but I find that hard to believe also. Perhaps there is some miscommunication here.
Yes, I am skeptical as well, but that's what we're trying to figure out. Perhaps there is miscommunication, but a reliable person has told me that he has experienced the LAS PreCheck line guardians determining if a BP will pass simply by looking at it.

If anyone established members are interested PM me and I'll add you to the group.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
PreCheck success at ATL (GE, no status)

No AA status, redeeming ATL-DFW-ELP-LAX. PASSID on AA profile. Shuttling between two airport-area hotels yesterday evening and decided to self check-in and print BPs in the counter area. Asked agent who said, "We don't have PreCheck here." Went to the south side PreCheck line anyway, and heard six beeps in total. (Three just to enter the line, another three at the TDC.)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just went through the new precheck lane at DEN. Even though they have a sign up on the north side security line, currently only the south side is setup for precheck (entering at the north side will just let you use the first class lane). It's setup as a totally separate line from the normal ID check, so it should be a big help during peak travel times (unlike many other airports that have the precheck merged in with the priority line such as DFW).
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neutron Star
I use an Android app conveniently called "barcode scanner" by a developer called Manatee. Not sure if it's available for iPhone. There are others listed upthread.
Manatee is available for iOS but I haven't gotten it to work for AA. I did get it to recognize something, but it wasn't remotely the information that should have been in it.

This website worked, but I had to print the BP to PDF and upload it from my PC.
http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/

Well, I think it worked - will find out later today for sure. :-)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Manatee is available for iOS but I haven't gotten it to work for AA. I did get it to recognize something, but it wasn't remotely the information that should have been in it.

I find the Manatee app works only if my boarding pass is well lit. Usually the light icon that turns on my phone's flash does the trick, but every once in awhile I need to scan it underneath a desk lamp.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I find the Manatee app works only if my boarding pass is well lit. Usually the light icon that turns on my phone's flash does the trick, but every once in awhile I need to scan it underneath a desk lamp.
I pull up the BP on my laptop and zoom in to get Manatee on my Android to read the bar code.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I pull up the BP on my laptop and zoom in to get Manatee on my Android to read the bar code.
If you're using you laptop, you might as well directly upload the pdf from the email to http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/ (select PDF 417)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I tried a bunch of things like this and still couldn't get it. Like I mentioned, at one point (twice) it did "read" the barcode, but it was just a small handful of random characters not related to my reservation at all. I guess the takeaway is that it's fussy.

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Yup, seems so. Did see the xxxx3 AA AA on two BPs, and we did both get LLL. Nice timesaver at MIA earlier this evening too...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nums
PreCheck works well for me. I do not want to do anything that upsets my success rate.

Is there any advantage in entering my new Global Entry membership number next to Known Traveler ID in my AA profile? Will that hinder my PreCheck success?
In theory, it may enhance your odds, but in practice it can cause you to fail if there is any discrepancy between your full name as it appears on your GE card versus the Secure Flight info in your PNR (which is initially populated from your profile information at AA or whichever agency booked the ticket). So, if you're having good success now, why mess with it?

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
No AA status, redeeming ATL-DFW-ELP-LAX. PASSID on AA profile. Shuttling between two airport-area hotels yesterday evening and decided to self check-in and print BPs in the counter area. Asked agent who said, "We don't have PreCheck here." Went to the south side PreCheck line anyway, and heard six beeps in total. (Three just to enter the line, another three at the TDC.)
Did I parse your message correctly? You were staying one or more nights at Atlanta, and while shuttling between hotels stopped by the AA desk to check-in and print BPs. The agent mentioned that the AA security line does not have Pre-Check, but the next day, when you went to board your flight, you used the Delta security line and received expedited security screening?

(This would match other reports upthread, BTW.)

Originally Posted by hillrider
If you're using you laptop, you might as well directly upload the pdf from the email to http://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com/ (select PDF 417)
That's what I do.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.client&hl=en

I use this app on my android phone. I have tried scanning past AA boarding passes and it worked perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.