Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: "Linking" or Combining of Separate PNRs / Itineraries / Tickets

Q. Can we have our bookings / reservations / awards merged to have them on the same PNR?
A. No; it's generally not possible unless you cancel what you have and get it all done on one PNR. Some agents may be able to merge PNRs if one has contiguous paid and award tickets on hold.

Q. Can I have separate PNRs merged so I can Through-check baggage? No. And with separate PNRs, baggage can not be through-checked.

Q. Can I have PNRs linked so status benefits can be shared?
No. But notes can be added to the OSI field, and status “linking” can occur for upgrades, etc.

Q. Can I "link" my partner's and my PNRs (so we can sit together, stay together in OSO / IROPS, check luggage through, etc.)?
A. "Linking" (or combining) PNRs is not actually possible. There is no way of establishing a "hard" electronic link between PNRs.

Q. What can the airline do in this regard?
A, Requesting "linking PNRs" causes a note to be entered into the PNR OSI (Other Service Information) field (usually a TCP (To Complete Party) note). There is no physical or other actual connection to one's PNR; the field must be read by an airline agent for requested actions to be implemented. (See hillrider's post #9 and link below.)

Q. How can that help?
A. In case of OSO (IROPS/IRROPS) an agent can read the reference and work to keep the parties together when reaccommodating in OSO.

GLOSSARY (specifically for airline use)[/color]
  • IROPS / IRROPS: Irregular Operations - see OSO
  • OSI: Other Supplementary / Service Information- PNR field for supplemental information; low-priority messages usually used for information purpose only.
  • OSO: Off Schedule Operations - when schedules are disrupted by various factors
  • PNR: itinerary reference "handle", six letters with AA; temporary, as PNRs recycle - only ticket numbers are permanent
  • TCP: To Complete Party - a note indicating passenger is traveling with another, etc.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Is there a way to email the EXP desk?

I have a request to link a paid and reward PNR (Myself + SO) so we if there's any IRROPS / Upgrade there's a note to do both or neither.

Is there a way to make a request without a call since I expect the desks are busy with weather stuff this week.

Flights are 10days out.

/BM
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Call any of the overseas reservation lines if you need a fast pickup
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Not that I know of, but twitter is great for these kinds of things. Just sign up for an account if you don't have one (you don't need to put your real name on it or use it for anything but contacting AA).

Search for @AmericanAir, and send them your PNR and name via Direct Message.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SamOF
Not that I know of, but twitter is great for these kinds of things. Just sign up for an account if you don't have one (you don't need to put your real name on it or use it for anything but contacting AA).

Search for @AmericanAir, and send them your PNR and name via Direct Message.
Thanks, forgot about that
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is no longer a way to email the AAdvantage EXP / USDM Chairman desk.

See Wikiposts in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html for additional tips in contacting AA when there are OSO conditions.

For Twitter use, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html.

There is no way to fully link PNRs, AFAIK. They can append a note to each PNR (a TCP - To Complete Party - note), but for it to work requires an agent opening the PNR and reading the note.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, United Silver
Miles for One Ticket and Pay for 2 Other

I know this questions has probably been asked a million times, but I can't find the answer for the life of me, so please accept my preemptive apology.

My family (wife, daughter, and me) are looking to book a trip on AA. I've got enough miles to get one of the tickets as an award but would need to purchase the other two tickets. I'm trying to avoid having us on two separate confirmations since our daughter is 3 and I want to make sure that we're treated as one group. In addition, since i have the AA card, I was hoping to avoid paying for checking a bag for all of us instead of just the two of us (assuming I book my daughter and I on the paid tickets).

Anyway to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SteerageFlyer
I know this questions has probably been asked a million times, but I can't find the answer for the life of me, so please accept my preemptive apology.

My family (wife, daughter, and me) are looking to book a trip on AA. I've got enough miles to get one of the tickets as an award but would need to purchase the other two tickets. I'm trying to avoid having us on two separate confirmations since our daughter is 3 and I want to make sure that we're treated as one group. In addition, since i have the AA card, I was hoping to avoid paying for checking a bag for all of us instead of just the two of us (assuming I book my daughter and I on the paid tickets).

Thanks in advance!
"Treated as one group" for what purpose?

If you plan to check three bags, and don't want to pay for one of them, is there any reason why your wife can't pick up a Citi/AA credit card now?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
"Treated as one group" for what purpose?

If you plan to check three bags, and don't want to pay for one of them, is there any reason why your wife can't pick up a Citi/AA credit card now?
So that in the case of missed connections, etc., we're not having to deal with two different confirmation numbers, etc.
​​​​​​
And getting another credit card to save $50 on baggage for the one time she flys AA (she's usually a UA flyer) seems like a silly way to add an item to her credit score.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So that in the case of missed connections, etc., we're not having to deal with two different confirmation numbers, etc.
​​​​​​
It's not possible to have a single PNR across both award and purchased tickets. PNRs can be 'linked' but that won't save you in a bad auto-rebooking.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not possible to have a single PNR across both award and purchased tickets. PNRs can be 'linked' but that won't save you in a bad auto-rebooking.
That's what I figured but wanted to ask.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
​​​​​​
And getting another credit card to save $50 on baggage for the one time she flys AA (she's usually a UA flyer) seems like a silly way to add an item to her credit score.
Unfortunately, I don't think any airlines offers the option of using miles for one ticket, and cash for the other passenger ticket all under one reservation. US carriers IT systems is not that advance. The most you can do is get AA to make notes in the 2 tickets in order to "internally" connect them. You will still have 2 separate PNR #. Elite status benefit will only be applicable to the passenger holding the status, does not transfer over to non status passenger on separate PNR #.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Elite status benefit will only be applicable to the passenger holding the status, does not transfer over to non status passenger on separate PNR #.
And yeah, the no free bag for my wife (I lost status on AA awhile ago but still have the credit card) is another $50 to factor into the equation unfortunately.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
​​​​​​
But getting another credit card to save $50 and to earn 53,000 AA miles (which can be redeemed for hotels and rental cars, not just flights on AA and its partners) after $3,000 in spend seems worthwhile to me.

You -- and your wife -- might feel differently.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't know of any carrier that issues mixed award/revenue tickets in a single PNR. It certainly is not an IT issue as there are other more mundane restrictions.

"Linking" does nothing whatsoever. It is conceivably useful at some small overseas outstations, but even then is largely overtaken so long as one person in the travel party makes it clear that the three people are together.

I would simply book one adult on an award and the other and the child on a revenue ticket and be done with it.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thanks in advance!
You won't be able to have one PNR for all.

You can request a "TCP note" (to complete party) inserted in the OSI (Other Supplementary Information) field in each PNR referring to the other PNR, but it requires an agent to read the PNR to see the note. In other words, in cases like autobooking, the TCP note is overlooked, as it doesn't truly establish a link between PNRs.

See the Wikipost at the top of this (the existing) thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.