Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA: $75 Expedite Ticketing Fee for awards ticketed within 21 days of travel
(Does not apply to AAdvantage elite status holders)

American Airlines charges a $75 "expedite (ticketing) fee" for awards that are less than 21 days from booking (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their own account - but it may vary for awards for others; some report being charged, others not).

There used to be a workaround "loophole"- book for over 21 days out, then change to a closer date. This loophole was closed February 16, 2012, and there is no known way of avoiding this fee for those required to pay it.

AAdvantage Award Processing Charges
Ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure $75
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and
AAdvantage Gold® (and Platinum Pro, Concierge Key EP) members using miles from their account)
Waivers for ticketing and airport purchase fees, less than 21 day from purchase travel and redeposit fee do not normally extend to those using their miles to purchase awards for non-status flyers (though this seems to vary, according to members' experiences)..

See aa.com awards booking page (as of 22 Mar 2016)here.

Print Wikipost

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by ual902
This is for CX First Class award, I thought AA does not charges for date changes, just charges for route changes?.
AA does not charge for date changes but the 21-Day loophole has been closed. That is what post 2 pertains to.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The OP wasn't 'slapped' with the fee. The fee is not a surprise and is clearly stated.

Slapped sounds like a mugging!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
AA does not charge for date changes but the 21-Day loophole has been closed. That is what post 2 pertains to.
Thanks for the info, when was this loophole closed?.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Thanks for the info, when was this loophole closed?.
See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-closed.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
$75 is still better then $150.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
$75 is still better then $150.
The fee for booking within 21 days is also $75, so it's a wash. Not sure where you got $150.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
The fee for booking within 21 days is also $75, so it's a wash. Not sure where you got $150.
sorry I thought it was $150
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi,

So I have no status with AA, this means if I ticket an award seat within 21 days I'm slapped with the $150 Fee, my question is if I book the Award ticket after the 21 days, example CX JFK-HKG for June 20th 2012 but after booking the award ticket can I call AA to change the Date for March 23rd 2012?, will AA then charge the $150?.

Thanks-
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has charged $75 for award travel from non-elite's accounts for travel sooner than 21 days from booking; there was a technical loophole that allowed folks to book farther out, then change to less than 21 days and not pay the fee. Those days are now over, effective 9 Feb 2012, but it does not apply to AAdvantage elites. See the first post in this existing, active thread for details, as well as reading upthread.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:37 am

I am Plat and am using some of my miles to book some friends some tickets. I went to confirm tonight and there were two $75 charges for booking withen the 21 day window. The miles are coming out of a plat account but the tickets are for non elite members. Do I not get to have my fees waived in this case or did they make a mistake. I have read all of the info AA has avialable and can find nothing that restricts the plat priviledge of waived fees
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by brp; Apr 13, 2012 at 7:48 am Reason: wrong info
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by brp
You do not get this fee waived. Only EXP do.

Cheers.
I'm pretty sure all elites are exempt from the close-in fee when using miles from their account, unless something has recently changed.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by barelyelite
I'm pretty sure all elites are exempt from the close-in fee when using miles from their account, unless something has recently changed.
Just checked the FAQ and my information-from-memory was incorrect. Prior post modified. Apologies.

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by barelyelite
I was under the impression that it is only waived where the miles are from the platinum member's account and that the member is travellin but where the passenger for whom the travel is being booked has no status , that the $75 still applies
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dave Noble's impression is correct in my experience. An EXP, for example, must pay the $25 fee and $75 fee where securing an award ticket for a non-EP who is departing within 21 days of awards purchase.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I was under the impression that it is only waived where the miles are from the platinum member's account and that the member is travellin but where the passenger for whom the travel is being booked has no status , that the $75 still applies
Originally Posted by peterson1205
I am Plat and am using some of my miles to book some friends some tickets. I went to confirm tonight and there were two $75 charges for booking withen the 21 day window. The miles are coming out of a plat account but the tickets are for non elite members. Do I not get to have my fees waived in this case or did they make a mistake. I have read all of the info AA has avialable and can find nothing that restricts the plat priviledge of waived fees
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Dave Noble's impression is correct in my experience. An EXP, for example, must pay the $25 fee and $75 fee where securing an award ticket for a non-EP who is departing within 21 days of awards purchase.
I recently got a coach MileSAAver award ticket for a non-elite friend with 7 days of his flight and was not charged any fees. I thought this was always the case for elites using their miles, no matter who they're redeeming for, though I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.