Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA: $75 Expedite Ticketing Fee for awards ticketed within 21 days of travel
(Does not apply to AAdvantage elite status holders)

American Airlines charges a $75 "expedite (ticketing) fee" for awards that are less than 21 days from booking (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their own account - but it may vary for awards for others; some report being charged, others not).

There used to be a workaround "loophole"- book for over 21 days out, then change to a closer date. This loophole was closed February 16, 2012, and there is no known way of avoiding this fee for those required to pay it.

AAdvantage Award Processing Charges
Ticketing less than 21 days prior to departure $75
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® and
AAdvantage Gold® (and Platinum Pro, Concierge Key EP) members using miles from their account)
Waivers for ticketing and airport purchase fees, less than 21 day from purchase travel and redeposit fee do not normally extend to those using their miles to purchase awards for non-status flyers (though this seems to vary, according to members' experiences)..

See aa.com awards booking page (as of 22 Mar 2016)here.

Print Wikipost

AA award $75 expedite / close-in processing fee (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by swag
Now wait a second.

The loophole allowed you to bypass the fee when the new travel date was within 21 days of the ticketing date.

The new rule here, as described (we haven't seen the formal language), would charge the fee when the new travel date was within 21 days of the change date.

That's a big difference. I'll bet it's pretty common for someone to book an award months in advance, then decide at the last minute to leave a day early or return a day later; probably much more common than the loophole-evaders.
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you would read the Traveling Better thread that JDiver provided a link to in post 43, you would see that this is incorrect. The following is specifically stated by someone whose knowledge on these kinds of things has stood the test of time:

"CONFIRMED: it does not apply to elites using miles from their own account, and it only triggers if "new outbound travel date.. is within 21 days of the original ticketing date"

(Sorry that I don't have the technological capability to show this as a second quote.)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
There is confirmation that the $75 fee is an award processing fee for those who book over 21 days out and then voluntarily request the outbound leg(s) begin in fewer than 21 days. The fee will not apply to AAdvantage statusholders using miles from their own account, no changes in this last bit. The source verified; you can confirm as much on TB. The sky is not falling, the loophole has finally been properly stoppered.
FWIW, the EXP desk confirmed this when we called about an award ticket we had booked on Mrs. Deac83's Plat account for her mother.

If you have status no change.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by zachary
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you would read the Traveling Better thread that JDiver provided a link to in post 43, you would see that this is incorrect. The following is specifically stated by someone whose knowledge on these kinds of things has stood the test of time:

"CONFIRMED: it does not apply to elites using miles from their own account, and it only triggers if "new outbound travel date.. is within 21 days of the original ticketing date"

(Sorry that I don't have the technological capability to show this as a second quote.)
Um, what you quoted was post 14, so I was unable to read what jdiver would post 30 hours later. Two hours after post 14, in post 19, I said
Originally Posted by swag
Over on the TB board, it's said that the travel date is in fact compared to the date of the PNR creation.
http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=5120

If true, that's a lot more reasonable, it closes the loophole while still allowing last minute changes. Please ignore my previous posts on this thread.
That post of mine was the first reference here to the TB thread.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 am

Swag,

You are, of course, correct. Sorry.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The OP has been er, mod-ified, to add the correct information.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:38 am

deleted ...didn't want to clutter forum with a question that was off topic

Last edited by icculus631; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:29 am
Suspended

to use advantage miles on trip, it has to be done 21 days in advance?

If I have trips coming up in mid march and want to use my advantage miles, is it true that I have to book, my trip 21 days before the trip date or pay $150 fee?

I plan on using my advantage miles for trip from chicago, to NYC, toronto, car rental to travel to NIAGRA FALLS for 2 nights hotel stay and return to Chicago.
any advices suggestions? my passport expires in July 2012, wonder if it requires 6 month validity at US-CANADA airports?

Last edited by jonny1; Feb 21, 2012 at 8:44 am Reason: edit
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jonny1
If I have trips coming up in mid march and want to use my advantage miles, is it true that I have to book, my trip 21 days before the trip date or pay $150 fee?

I plan on using my advantage miles for trip from chicago, to NYC, toronto, car rental to travel to NIAGRA FALLS for 2 nights hotel stay and return to Chicago.
any advices suggestions? my passport expires in July 2012, wonder if it requires 6 month validity at US-CANADA airports?
If you are looking to book flights only, then yes, you will be forced to pay a close-in booking fee. It sounds like you might be booking a vacation package through AAVacations, though, in which case there shouldn't a close-in booking fee.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
If you book less than 21 days in advance, you will pay a $75 fee (per ticket, I believe) for "close-in booking" (which, IMO is a ridiculous rip-off, it's not like they have to do something special to issue the tickets, and inventory management has already decided those seats aren't likely to sell and made them available for awards).

Of the major US airlines, the only one that doesn't do this is Delta.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: UA
I did wonder about the close-in booking fee. When I first saw it I thought it was a rip-off too, but is there actually a legitimate reason that the airlines charge it?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:55 am

Yes, there is a very good reason for this charge. The computer has to drop everything it's working on to issue your ticket.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The historical origins of the fee date back to the days of paper tickets and paper award certs, and the fee went towards covering the cost of Fedexing the tickets to ensure you'd have them prior to departure.

In the mid-90s, as e-tickets replaced paper, but there was still no online booking, AA justified continuing the fee with the argument that they needed increased staff to ensure that close-in tickets could get processed in time.

Now, it's just a money grab.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Like many other questions about AA, the answer to this one depends on your AA status. That's why most FT members list their status in their profile - we aren't bragging, we are just trying to avoid making those answering our questions go through the "if you are this status, the answer is X, if you are that status, the answer is Y".
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has charged $75 for award travel from non-elite's accounts for travel sooner than 21 days from booking; there was a technical loophole that allowed folks to book farther out, then change to less than 21 days and not pay the fee. Those days are now over, effective 9 Feb 2012, but it does not apply to AAdvantage elites. See the first post in this existing, active thread for details, as well as reading upthread.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reason: fill in
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Originally Posted by akcae
If you book less than 21 days in advance, you will pay a $75 fee ...

Of the major US airlines, the only one that doesn't do this is Delta.
Eh...?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.