Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates [master thread]

Good to know on the fuss issue. I think he will be content. It just seems like the chance to get two upgrades as a Silver will be a lot harder than 1.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Avis First, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smabat
I received my new card but it appears that I have to wait a few weeks before my companion certificates come by mail. I would like to book a flight this weekend for travel March 23 using one certificate.

1. Is March 23 a blackout date?
2. Would anyone with an expiring companion cert like to trade so I could use theirs now and send them one of my new ones when it arrives?

I'm in Los Angeles if you'd like to meet up, or we can try via phone.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott - did you ever receive you comp certs? I got the card almost a month ago and am still waiting for my certs to arrive.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just redeemed my cert today for two of us to travel SEA-PHX-CLT-GNV-CLT-SEA in May for my niece's graduation from UF. Gainesville is a tough city to (a) get to and (b) find a decent fare. Tickets would have been over $1400 total if we had paid for them outright - now they are just over $800 total. Of course, as a non-status Dividend Miles flyer, it'll be back of the bus all the way.

Just curious - can you use Dividend Miles to upgrade when using these certs (I imagine not - but, hey, gotta ask!)?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA

Just curious - can you use Dividend Miles to upgrade when using these certs (I imagine not - but, hey, gotta ask!)?
I believe you can, using the normal domestic upgrade amounts. However, if someone has the actual certificates and can check to verify, I'll update the wiki at the top to reflect it.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by aztimm
I believe you can, using the normal domestic upgrade amounts. However, if someone has the actual certificates and can check to verify, I'll update the wiki at the top to reflect it.
Yes - you can use miles to upgrade them. Have done it often.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Yes - you can use miles to upgrade them. Have done it often.
Thanks! I upgraded the Wiki up top.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Just redeemed my cert today for two of us to travel SEA-PHX-CLT-GNV-CLT-SEA in May for my niece's graduation from UF. Gainesville is a tough city to (a) get to and (b) find a decent fare. Tickets would have been over $1400 total if we had paid for them outright - now they are just over $800 total. Of course, as a non-status Dividend Miles flyer, it'll be back of the bus all the way.

You've got this very much under-appreciated benefit just right -- just the sort of fare situation where it really pays off. (Even better as a threesome!)

Another option if you are having trouble scoring upgrades and/or want to think differently is for one of you to sign up for Trial Silver. Your trip is 6161 of the 7500 miles required to keep you at Silver through February 2014. This would be especially good if you actually had another trip you could make in the 90 day interval. even if not, if there are some good seats available (like row 10 on an A321), for two of you, the $249 would be in E+ UA territory.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
You've got this very much under-appreciated benefit just right -- just the sort of fare situation where it really pays off. (Even better as a threesome!)

Another option if you are having trouble scoring upgrades and/or want to think differently is for one of you to sign up for Trial Silver. Your trip is 6161 of the 7500 miles required to keep you at Silver through February 2014. This would be especially good if you actually had another trip you could make in the 90 day interval. even if not, if there are some good seats available (like row 10 on an A321), for two of you, the $249 would be in E+ UA territory.
We used the certs on CLT-DCA-BTV and return for myself and 2 companions...worked out really well. Turned a $1300 fare into a $750 fare once you added in the taxes/fees onto the 2 $99 companion tix.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
I agree that these CPs are not given the due they deserve. We are a family of 3 and fly non stop from PHX to JFK for $700. Without the passes it would have been $1500. What people forget is that all 3 travelers earn miles on the flight too. Sweet deal if you ask me.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:36 pm

I am thinking of getting this card and using the companion tickets, but I have an idea that could help someone save some money. If I book PIT-PHL-MCO and the same on the return, is it possible to have one person on the companion ticket skip the PIT-PHL legs and just fly PHL-MCO each way? It's probably cheating the system, but I'm just curious.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Once the person has no-showed for the PIT-PHL leg, all future legs for that person will be automatically cancelled. If they just show up at PHL, they will no longer have a ticket for the flight to MCO (or the return for that matter too).
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Once the person has no-showed for the PIT-PHL leg, all future legs for that person will be automatically cancelled. If they just show up at PHL, they will no longer have a ticket for the flight to MCO (or the return for that matter too).
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Does anyone know if the certificates can be used for round trip travel originating in Canada to the US?

The terms and conditions posted by someone seem to say yes:

valid for round-trip coach class travel within and between the contiguous U.S. and Canada when the primary cardholder purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required)

but the Wiki at the top of this post seems to say that travel must start in the contiguous 48 states:

Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada. Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Does anyone know if the certificates can be used for round trip travel originating in Canada to the US?

The terms and conditions posted by someone seem to say yes:

valid for round-trip coach class travel within and between the contiguous U.S. and Canada when the primary cardholder purchases a qualifying ticket (minimum fare purchase of $250 required)

but the Wiki at the top of this post seems to say that travel must start in the contiguous 48 states:

Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada. Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.
I did the Wiki, and it is from the back of my 2013 cert. Here's what it says on the front:

Certificate valid for roundtrip, coach-class travel within the contiguous 48 United States or from the contiguous 48 United States to Canada.
Do you have a certificate you can reference?

How far are you from BUF?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by aztimm
Do you have a certificate you can reference?
I don't have a cert in my hands yet, but the first reference is from Barclay's website:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/ja...C24755&cpc=USA

(I'm about two hours from BUF. YYZ is much more convenient, so it would be nice to be able to use the cert for an itinerary from there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.