Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Back to Back or "Nested" Tickets - Discussion

Ticket validity: Compliance with terms and conditions of sale (link)

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:
  • Back-to-back ticketing: The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
<snip>

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:
  1. Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary
  2. Confiscate unused flight coupons
  3. Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's luggage
  4. Refuse to refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  5. Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary

Typically, these are tickets purchased to evade minimum stays such as seven days or Saturday night. E.g. Consultant John Doe flies AUS-SEA Monday, returns Thursday; he buys nested round trip excursion tickets using coupon 1 of ticket 1 outbound, coupon 1 of ticket 2 return, the coupons #2 the following week, etc. AA hates John Doe. AA wants Mr. Doe to stop it.

Print Wikipost

Back-to-back or "nested" ticketing questions, discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
My apologies in advance as I am sure this is answered somewhere in the FlyerTalk realm but it seems daunting to search for a concept that I don't know the name of. Just researching this morning I learned of the term "nesting fares" but I don't know if what I am considering would qualify.

My wife and I want to attempt a status run starting in January but use a positioning flight to Europe right before New Year's (pre-qualifying period). Once in 2018 we plan to fly round -trip EX ARN (Stockholm). My thinking is if we are going to do another trip in March, why not book another flight EX ARN that takes us home. It would basically put us on a cycle of flying round trip out of Europe despite being US citizens, with the eventual end goal of using miles or a cheap O/W to get permanently home. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

Here's the itinerary example:

JFK-ARN 12/29
ARN-SIN-ARN 1/1-1/10
ARN-JFK-ARN 1/10-3/10
ARN-JFK 3/17
No issues whatsoever in what you're proposing. You'll be fine. On any given year I have a similar maze of itineraries and nested tickets to/from Europe to take advantage of the cheaper ex-EU fares.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No issues whatsoever in what you're proposing. You'll be fine. On any given year I have a similar maze of itineraries and nested tickets to/from Europe to take advantage of the cheaper ex-EU fares.
Agreed, no issues.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
My apologies in advance as I am sure this is answered somewhere in the FlyerTalk realm but it seems daunting to search for a concept that I don't know the name of. Just researching this morning I learned of the term "nesting fares" but I don't know if what I am considering would qualify.

My wife and I want to attempt a status run starting in January but use a positioning flight to Europe right before New Year's (pre-qualifying period). Once in 2018 we plan to fly round -trip EX ARN (Stockholm). My thinking is if we are going to do another trip in March, why not book another flight EX ARN that takes us home. It would basically put us on a cycle of flying round trip out of Europe despite being US citizens, with the eventual end goal of using miles or a cheap O/W to get permanently home. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

Here's the itinerary example:

JFK-ARN 12/29
ARN-SIN-ARN 1/1-1/10
ARN-JFK-ARN 1/10-3/10
ARN-JFK 3/17
What you are proposing to do is fine. The nesting issue is when you use separate tickets to avoid minimum stay condition of a lower fare. So if your first ticket had a 30-day stay requirement, you would be in violation. Since there aren't any of those, again, you're ok.

Also, keep in mind those minimum stay requirements are just relative to your origin. There are no rules requiring you to stay at a destination for any period of time. I did a trip CA-FL when they had a promo for NY-FL or CA, so I flew CA-NY and then NY-FL. Tickets had a Saturday stay requirement. The Saturday in FL qualified for both tickets.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I am having a frustrating experience with looking at flying to Europe through New York (since I really, really hate redeyes and that limits my gateway cities for daytime flights). I found very competitively priced flights with the daytime flight of my dream, but understandably have to add on from my home airport. With timings I have to add overnights in New York so I have no official connection, and luckily I have somewhere to stay so that doesn't add to my cost.

However nesting the European trip inside the New York tip for some reason doubles the cost when it's on one ticket -- while if I book two separate tickets its $300 cheaper per person. I'm not circumventing any minimum stay or Saturday night requirements, since actually one roundtrip is completely instead the other -- should I have any worries about booking the two tickets separately on AA?

Normally I'd just book different airlines but of course in this case AA has both the late New York feed flight AND the daytime flight I'm looking for. I'm guessing its OK (I've done pure nested tickets before when I've gone somewhere for a while and then went somewhere else while I'm there) but AA rules seem to leave room for interpretation since I am 'avoiding' some pricing by ticketing separately.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pitflyer
I am having a frustrating experience with looking at flying to Europe through New York (since I really, really hate redeyes and that limits my gateway cities for daytime flights). I found very competitively priced flights with the daytime flight of my dream, but understandably have to add on from my home airport. With timings I have to add overnights in New York so I have no official connection, and luckily I have somewhere to stay so that doesn't add to my cost.

However nesting the European trip inside the New York tip for some reason doubles the cost when it's on one ticket -- while if I book two separate tickets its $300 cheaper per person. I'm not circumventing any minimum stay or Saturday night requirements, since actually one roundtrip is completely instead the other -- should I have any worries about booking the two tickets separately on AA?

Normally I'd just book different airlines but of course in this case AA has both the late New York feed flight AND the daytime flight I'm looking for. I'm guessing its OK (I've done pure nested tickets before when I've gone somewhere for a while and then went somewhere else while I'm there) but AA rules seem to leave room for interpretation since I am 'avoiding' some pricing by ticketing separately.
You will be fine with two separate tickets.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by pitflyer
[...]

Aren't pricing algorithms fun

As stc said, you'll be fine. I just bought tickets like this to save $$$ and I double checked the CoC, which prohibits:
The combination of two or more roundtrip excursion fares end to end for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements
and since you're not circumventing minimum stay requirements, you're good.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Is this allowed?

PHL-MAD 3/13 on a one-way FF ticket

MAD-PHL 3/17
PHL-FCO 6/1 pd multi-city ticket

FCO-PHL 6/9 one-way FF ticket.

I will have multiple flights on AA within the US between 3/17 and 6/1.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I don't see why not. I can't imagine you're violating any fare rules with those tickets.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:24 pm

On a long term engagement at a customer, I would normally fly on Sunday evening and return Thursday evening. With that said, on several occasion where I had to book some last minute flights, I found "nest" two weeks of itinerary via Departing Sunday (Week1) and return Thursday (Week2) and another itinerary return on Thursday (Week1) and Departing Sunday (Week2) to save company few dollars. Normally, I don't do this as it create an issue for my expense report, but periodically when the cost saving is more than 200 or 300 dollars for the two weeks, I do it to be a good corporate citizen.

l8r

-doc
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by puchalskir
PHL-MAD 3/13 on a one-way FF ticket

MAD-PHL 3/17
PHL-FCO 6/1 pd multi-city ticket

FCO-PHL 6/9 one-way FF ticket.

I will have multiple flights on AA within the US between 3/17 and 6/1.
No issues whatsoever. I do the same thing every year, tickets ex-EU are so much cheaper. I frequently have tons of separate tix within the US and to other int'l destinations that are nested between return portions of other tickets that are often many months in the future.

Nested tickets are not against the rules, only using nested tickets to circumvent min-stay fare rules and the like is (which you're not doing) and even at that you'd have to be a VERY repeat offender before AA would even care.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by doctor3
On a long term engagement at a customer, I would normally fly on Sunday evening and return Thursday evening. With that said, on several occasion where I had to book some last minute flights, I found "nest" two weeks of itinerary via Departing Sunday (Week1) and return Thursday (Week2) and another itinerary return on Thursday (Week1) and Departing Sunday (Week2) to save company few dollars. Normally, I don't do this as it create an issue for my expense report, but periodically when the cost saving is more than 200 or 300 dollars for the two weeks, I do it to be a good corporate citizen.

l8r

-doc
Just to be clear this is exactly what is spelled out as being against the T&Cs and subject to action by AA (so spilling the beans on a forum where AA is known to monitor not wise). Being allowed to do it does not make it ok. There have been several stories of violators being caught before their return trip and stuck buying walk-up fares to get home. You spin the wheel and take your chances.

Unless you are willing to take the hit if caught, being a good corporate citizen means doing the right thing and not exposing the company to excessive costs, be it dollars or time lost digging out of a mistake.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you all for the replies. I feel more comfortable booking it now.

Rich
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
As others have said, this one is likely to be disallowed nesting, and if done repeatedly, will almost certainly trigger action from AA.

Two alternatives that WOULD be allowed (although they may or may not produce similar savings) would be to do the first and last flights* via one-way (years ago, this would have always been a losing strategy but these days with domestic tickets it sometimes is equally cheap) or to fly one of the pairs of flights with a different airline.

(* or just the first, and assume you're going to start buying all the flights departing from there until the fares flip around again.)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

l8r

-doc
AS others have pointed out, this is explicitly a violation.

And while the occasionally odd travel plan may inadvertently result in a nested fare, or even the one-off "I did it to save money once", this kind of repetitive 'week in week out' nesting is more likely to trigger something.

If the only thing you have to worry about is paying for a one way walk up fare, Id say BFD- just expense it. Would AA go beyond that? IMO that is the real concern. Cant say if they would

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.