FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1047553-questions-bankdirect-now-bask-bank-consolidated.html)

garimell Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 16816648)
I find Bank Direct is fine. I set my account up a few years ago and use it like a Money Market fund-a place to park cash. I don't have an ATM card and I don't try for any of the other ways to earn bonuses. I send and withdraw money via a free ACH generated elsewhere. There's never been a glitch of any kind.

Trying to make an entity do things it is not good at usually ends in frustration.

Agree. I do pretty much the same. BD's customer service has indeed gone a little downhill in the past few months but, I couldn't care less as long as the miles are posted on a monthly basis. Serves my yearly award travel needs just fine.

ceieoc Jul 30, 2011 7:28 am

Why is BankDirect refusing to open new accounts?

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points (Post 16816429)
I closed an account with last year. I tried opening a new account now and they said I can't . Anyone know if there is some waiting period? I know my mistake, I should never have closed my account last year..

It is your money. Why is it a mistake to close your BankDirect account?
Shouldn't you be able to do what you want with your investments?

What is the reason that BankDirect told you that they are now refusing to open a new account and continue to do business with you?

It seems unusual that BankDirect is currently offering a mileage bonus for helping bring BankDirect new business and, at the same time, this bank wants to turn away new account business.

Listed below are some government agencies who may help you with BankDirect refusing to open your account and take your deposit.

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov

http://www.occ.gov/topics/dispute-re...omplaints.html

http://www.dob.texas.gov/bnt/banks_h...bankregulation

michael_v Jul 30, 2011 4:54 pm

Regarding the inability to do ACH transfers: on the Bill Pay interface, there is a tab Transfers. Under that tab there is an option Add Transfer Account where it is asking for routing number, account number, and so forth. This looks like interface to do ACH transfers to me. Am I wrong?

seawolf Aug 1, 2011 5:06 am

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 16829009)
Regarding the inability to do ACH transfers: on the Bill Pay interface, there is a tab Transfers. Under that tab there is an option Add Transfer Account where it is asking for routing number, account number, and so forth. This looks like interface to do ACH transfers to me. Am I wrong?

You can ACH out of BD but not into BD.

ET Aug 1, 2011 10:56 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 16835914)

Usually there isn't a fee to ACH from sending or receiving ends, but I can't seem to find info about it from BankDirect's site. If I enter the info routing # & account # on BankDirect, will it be an ACH and will it incur any fees? It's OK if it's just ACH out of BankDirect for me.

show_me_the_points Aug 1, 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 16826562)

What is the reason that BankDirect told you that they are now refusing to open a new account and continue to do business with you?

It seems unusual that BankDirect is currently offering a mileage bonus for helping bring BankDirect new business and, at the same time, this bank wants to turn away new account business.

They said:

Your previous account closed in August of 2010. At this time you do not qualify to open an AA mileage checking or AA mileage money market account.

winger13 Aug 1, 2011 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 16835914)

I am unclear... I just transferred some $ from my Citibank and credit union into my BD account. Took all off approx 3 days.

ceieoc Aug 1, 2011 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points (Post 16839565)
They said:

Your previous account closed in August of 2010. At this time you do not qualify to open an AA mileage checking or AA mileage money market account.

If you do not qualify to open an AA mileage checking or AA mileage money market account at this time, BankDirect should be able to tell you at what time you would qualify to open this account. BankDirect should also be able to provide written documentation of the requirement needed to open an account with this bank.

It appears that BankDirect is attempting to enforce an undisclosed term and condition and penalizing customers for choosing to close a BankDirect account. Looking over the paperwork generated on my account opening, I can't find any language stating you would not be able to open a new BankDirect account if you closed an account. There is however, a published disclosure about a maximum of two AA mileage accounts per houseshold. If a bank issued a penalty or an account restriction to me which was not disclosed, I would file a complaint with the banking commission or banking regulators if I could not resolve it with the bank.

Please ask BankDirect to elaborate and share their response here.

If your account was in good standing when you closed your account, I would think any bank would warmly welcome you a previous account holder.

swag Aug 1, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points (Post 16839565)
They said:

Maybe they just don't want you to earn the account opening bonus a second time? Given the relatively primitive systems they seem to have in place, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a mechanism in place to allow you to open the account without awarding you the bonus.

LAX_Esq Aug 2, 2011 11:12 am

Last month's miles are showing up on BD's site.

show_me_the_points Aug 3, 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 16840446)
There is however, a published disclosure about a maximum of two AA mileage accounts per houseshold.

Is this a lifetime limit? When I opened my first account they mistakenly opened the wrong type of account. So after a little back and forth they closed it and opened the correct mileage checking account. So now that I closed that account , do they see I have used up my lifetime limit of two account?

josephstern Aug 3, 2011 9:40 am

So we seem to be back to the normal schedule of mileage posting this month:

Miles show on the BD site on the second business day of the month, then get uploaded to AA on the third business day.

So something positive from these guys.

josephstern Aug 7, 2011 9:33 am

Today they have:

Scheduled Maintenance Alert This Weekend:

Our website and online systems will be unavailable from 6:00 AM - 1:00 PM CST, Sunday August 7th 2011.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your business.
So, this time, at least they acknowledge that it's down.

Maybe that means it was really planned? Maybe we'll see an interface and functionality update? Doubt it, but I can dream.

drdomore Aug 7, 2011 2:42 pm

I just found out about the BankDirect AA offer. It seems a no brainer to move my money earning piddling interest rates at WTDirect.com, FNBO.com, Ingdirect.com and emigrant direct.com (have split it under old FDIC limits) to bank direct to earn AA miles for Intl travel.

Any tips or pitfalls from existing users for someone like me who is about to open an account? I presume I should move only 250k due to FDIC limit, correct? I can use a referral so pls let me know. Thanks

cynicalbuthopeful Aug 7, 2011 3:14 pm

see separate thread to get referrals. They will PM you quickly.

You should also investigate Fidelity offer if you haven't already.