Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 11:46 am

AA.com has my gender wrong.

Used to be I could change it by clearing my frequent flyer info and then add it later to keep my gold perks. But now it remembers the wrong gender.

It's a domestic flight and I am able to submit my TSA Precheck #. Hopefully that should work since my title is Dr.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should not matter. Two name fields are the IATA standard. The rest is fluff.

But, in any event, call AA and have them fix it with you on the line.
vickh likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It should not matter. Two name fields are the IATA standard. The rest is fluff.

But, in any event, call AA and have them fix it with you on the line.
Perfect about the Two name fields (which are correct). Wasn't sure if TSA/AA care beyond that for DOB (which is also correct) Gender etc since it's under this category:

Secure traveler

If you have a redress number or known traveler number, enter your information and we’ll pass it through.

Date of birth-correct

I'd rather not have to call and have to submit IDs etc to AAdvantage if it won't stop my travel.

Last edited by vickh; May 14, 2019 at 12:15 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by vickh
Perfect about the Two name fields (which are correct). Wasn't sure if TSA/AA care beyond that for DOB (which is also correct) Gender etc since it's under this category:

Secure traveler

If you have a redress number or known traveler number, enter your information and we’ll pass it through.

Date of birth-correct

I'd rather not have to call and have to submit IDs etc to AAdvantage if it won't stop my travel.
I’d probably rely on something more substantive than asking on an internet website with pseudonymous members. Maybe try a DM to @AmericanAir on Twitter to start?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
How do I get a name change on AAdvantage account

My last name changed from JONES to JONES-SMITH and I cannot effect this change online

(those are only sample names btw)
Old May 16, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Old May 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by caseminole
My last name changed from JONES to JONES-SMITH and I cannot effect this change online

(those are only sample names btw)
Correct
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Middle name missing on tx

I booked tickets using my AA miles for a couple of OW redemptions for CX flights to Asia. LAX-HKG then HKG-MNL and of course the return. AA issued the tickets for my wife and I, but despite the fact that they have all of our personal information in each of our FF accounts including middle names, passport numbers, and known traveler numbers they somehow managed to issue us these tickets without our middle names. I am afraid when we show up at LAX for our flight to HKG that we may not make it past the TSA and if we do, would we then be allowed to board since our passport obviously have our middle names on them and not just first and last name that our tickets show. I am pretty stressed.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I booked tickets using my AA miles for a couple of OW redemptions for CX flights to Asia. LAX-HKG then HKG-MNL and of course the return. AA issued the tickets for my wife and I, but despite the fact that they have all of our personal information in each of our FF accounts including middle names, passport numbers, and known traveler numbers they somehow managed to issue us these tickets without our middle names. I am afraid when we show up at LAX for our flight to HKG that we may not make it past the TSA and if we do, would we then be allowed to board since our passport obviously have our middle names on them and not just first and last name that our tickets show. I am pretty stressed.
I have almost never had my middle name on my ticket or boarding pass, and I have always gotten through TSA and boarded all my flights. They usually don't pay that much attention. I wouldn't stress. You can call and get it added (IIRC) if it makes you feel better.
1readyset2go and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I have almost never had my middle name on my ticket or boarding pass, and I have always gotten through TSA and boarded all my flights. They usually don't pay that much attention. I wouldn't stress. You can call and get it added (IIRC) if it makes you feel better.
It's not always easy to have the name added/changed on the actual electronic ticket record (sometimes there can be a fee). However, it really shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31183948-post958.html
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had any issues within the US. Security in Hong Kong brought me back to the check-in to have them sign off on the ticket. Korean Air in Seoul made a comment about it, but they still allowed me to board.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:07 pm

CX doesn't have a middle name field in their reservation system, so even if you have your middle name on your AA profile it won't show up on the CX reservation. Instead CX has a given name field which is used for both first and middle names. If you ask AA to put both your first and middle names in the first name field, your middle name will show up on the CX reservation. I have traveled on CX without my middle name on the reservation, however I could not OLCI as I got an error that the name on the reservation didn't match my passport.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
My tickets always show my first and middle names together with no space in the FIRST NAME field. It’s so weird that they can’t fix it.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I would NOT mess with a successfully issued award ticket on CX.

If you try and force someone to fix it, next think you know, someone messes up...CX cant fix it....AA says its CX issue... 'No more award space"... I wouldn't mess.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by langleyoaker
CX doesn't have a middle name field in their reservation system, so even if you have your middle name on your AA profile it won't show up on the CX reservation. Instead CX has a given name field which is used for both first and middle names. If you ask AA to put both your first and middle names in the first name field, your middle name will show up on the CX reservation. I have traveled on CX without my middle name on the reservation, however I could not OLCI as I got an error that the name on the reservation didn't match my passport.
And I want to say Iberia has no middle name spot but does have an optional spot for a secondary surname. The typical ticketing system for a specific airline probably goes back to the 1970s and reflects naming conventions of the typical passenger they had at that time. Adding additional name fields to reflect a more diverse passenger base during IT upgrades would cost an airline money without any real benefit to them or passengers, so best to just train GAs and call centers to accept certain name formats as acceptable, especially since name components can get squished together in all kinds of different ways as a ticket issued elsewhere is electronically sent to the operating carrier of the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.