Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:46 pm

Thanks for data point!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Check in at airport?

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Very standard. U have to checkin at the airport as u have a companion.
with non status companions I've always been able to online. In fact, did it tonight.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
EXP Earning Coupons

I am finally about to earn EXP and I understand that EXP and PltPro receive upgrades without needing 500 mile Upgrades.... Currently I have 61 of them. Let's say next year I only fly 50K miles and only earn Plt. If I want to upgrade as a Plt then I will need to access my upgrade bank. While an EXP do you still earn 500 Mile Upgrades? Will I only have my 61 coupons regardless of how many miles I fly? If you drop back to Plt or lower does AA calculate how many, if any, 500 miles coupons would have been left over and then credit you with those when you are program downgraded? I hope I am making sense.... Thanks... Jon
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You stop earning stickers as EXP or PP. If you drop status, you will still have your 61 stickers to use as Platinum or Gold.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by apeortdz
You stop earning stickers as EXP or PP. If you drop status, you will still have your 61 stickers to use as Platinum or Gold.
Thank You apeortdz!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Any way to get credit for stickers earned whilst PP when no complimentary requests were made for the whole year? My wife will make PP with our BA F flight back to the UK at Christmas credited to AA. For all of next year our plans for AA are the F return home on BA, LAX-SYD in J/PE, a paid first SAN-CUN and then another J, or F flight back to the UK next Christmas That's 50,000+miles, so would normally accrue at least 16 stickers. It would suck to earn nothing and yet at the same time not require any upgrades as there is no qualifying economy travel planned.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EP
Unfortunately no. PP, EP, and CK do not earn any stickers while they have this status level.

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Any way to get credit for stickers earned whilst PP when no complimentary requests were made for the whole year? My wife will make PP with our BA F flight back to the UK at Christmas credited to AA. For all of next year our plans for AA are the F return home on BA, LAX-SYD in J/PE, a paid first SAN-CUN and then another J, or F flight back to the UK next Christmas That's 50,000+miles, so would normally accrue at least 16 stickers. It would suck to earn nothing and yet at the same time not require any upgrades as there is no qualifying economy travel planned.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:43 am

This may be a lost cause - but wanted to get an opinion:

I was Plat when I boarded HKG-DFW flight.
At the end of that segment I would have been 74000 EQM's.

I connected DFW-XXX ....which put me over 75000 EQMs (and the EQD needed)....to get me to Plat Pro.

I thought I would get 4 500-mile certs for the HKG-DFW leg in paid-C (which was 16K EQM),,,,....unfortunately AA counted the trip as a whole one-way...as though I went straight from Plat to Plat Pro. Therefore I did not get 4 ecerts.

These flights were definitely not "through flights"...completely different flight numbers, etc.

Do I have a case to ask for 4 certs...since if I had stopped my journey at DFW, I would have got them?
I do not know much about AA....so, just wondering how it works.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf

I connected DFW-XXX ....which put me over 75000 EQMs (and the EQD needed)....to get me to Plat Pro.

I thought I would get 4 500-mile certs for the HKG-DFW leg in paid-C (which was 16K EQM),,,,....unfortunately AA counted the trip as a whole one-way...as though I went straight from Plat to Plat Pro. Therefore I did not get 4 ecerts.

These flights were definitely not "through flights"...completely different flight numbers, etc.

Do I have a case to ask for 4 certs...since if I had stopped my journey at DFW, I would have got them?
Since AA don't give you the benefits of the higher status until after the leg on which you earn it, it would seem logical that you should not lose any of the benefits of the lower status until then too. But logic may not enter into it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Since AA don't give you the benefits of the higher status until after the leg on which you earn it, it would seem logical that you should not lose any of the benefits of the lower status until then too. But logic may not enter into it.
yeah..so right...because I earned redeemable miles for all legs based on plat status....
Maybe I will email AAdvantage...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:49 am

OMG!
I emailed them, and the problem got resolved in one hour. Got the certs!

yeah..so right...because I earned redeemable miles for all legs based on plat status....
Maybe I will email AAdvantage...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
OMG!
Sometimes things work as they should! Congratulations.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:44 pm

Sometimes things work as they should! Congratulations.
^^
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
OMG!
Thanks for sharing. I will be in the same situation soon. Was hoping this would be the outcome since they tend to respond positively to requests when the counters reset.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:29 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Yes, contact AAdvantage Customer Service. Nicely explain that you earned the four segment upgrades while you were still Plat. They'll likely post them for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.