Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Contemplating Double Status which other program should I choose

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contemplating Double Status which other program should I choose

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
You didn't mention US. Did you consider it? Many consider it the worst of the legacy carriers, but they do have free upgrades, free companion upgrades, great upgrade percentages, and are in the Star Alliance. I've been very pleasantly surprised. In addition, they have a challenge program (normally $215 after tax, but free through the end of the month) that lets you get Silver status immediately and lets you earn and keep Silver/Gold/Plat/CP status through 2/2011 if you fly 7.5k/15k/22.5k/30k miles in the 90 day challenge.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
I tossed US Air off the list because of the instant upgrade ... but maybe I might look at that since they are currently the LLF consistenly in IND ...

The question is how are the upgrades for <CP/Platinum? Earning EXP this year even with Platinum challenge (due to me not knowing about it or flyertalk until this spring) took a beating on me given my luck on drawing 30-32E .... for the 1st two months ... and I won't include the swine flu that I so graciously caught before it was called it ....

+-ADT

+-ADT
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
By instant upgrade, are you talking about a status match? If you do the (currently free) challenge (and you can do their challenge every two years - unlike status matches that are usually once in a lifetime), you start as Silver and move up depending on your US-metal miles during the challenge. You might miss a few upgrades along the way since you don't start at the top level, but I wouldn't be surprised if you average 50-90% as you work through the 30k miles it takes to get CP on the challenge.

There are some annual surveys on the US Airways forum, and results vary tremendously, but in general Silver averaged around 50%, Gold 60%, Platinum 70%, and CP 90-100%. My own experience was 78% as Silver and 100% as Platinum. (I just hit CP and won't have my next flight for a few weeks.)
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Correct (to Michael Coley).

And amazingly enough I just found they have an early bird and late nite flight (IND<>PHX<>SJC) that would allow me to recover my weekend (instead of the current get into the office at 1pm lose on Monday and lose 1/2 of Friday or Saturday.

I guess the other question is ... how will the recproical agreements be between CO and US/UA/*A ...
since I just saw they have this awesome flight. As I just found out my travels will be to RST for the next few months ... so I may have to delay doing this until after I earn EXP next year .... unless I do a 75 mile drive from MSP to RST. 'cause I have this bad habit of desiring achieving my flying goals which would be of course CP ....

I think in a nutshell and from all of the help you guys have given (thanks) and the status match thread... what I am needing is a major hub near the west coast to fill the gaps of American ... and as such that leaves me to choose UA/US/CO {post 8/24}

+-ADT
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
CO will probably comp you and I find their upgrades to be steady and hassle free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.