Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flghts changed by AA - do I have to accept the changes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Flghts changed by AA - do I have to accept the changes?

I am flying from SFO to DTW via DFW in October. I was just informed by AA of changes to my itinerary. My original connecting flight out of DFW was cancelled and I was re-booked on a later flight, giving me a 4 hour layover and arriving 2 hours later at 10:30 PM.
There is a flight via ORD that would be more like my original flight.
I am not happy about the changes (would never have booked those flights in the first place). What are my options?
Can I change to the ORD flight (without a fee)?
Can I cancel the ticket (without a fee) and re-book?
Thanks for your expert advice.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
It is best to call AA and tell them what flights you would like. It is usually possible to get the changes you would like.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmgm
It is best to call AA and tell them what flights you would like. It is usually possible to get the changes you would like.
I am currently in Europe and won't be back till Aug 31st.
It could be a fairly long and costly phone call to AA (with all the holds) - can I wait til I get back or is there a "time limit"?
Alternatively, can I contact them by e mail?
Ideally, I would like to cancel this ticket and rebook if I am entitled to do so (due to schedule changes).
I am not clear on the regulations regarding this.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Quoted from the Sticky
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822038 "
• How do I change or cancel my reservation"
Finally, note that AA does intermittently make systemwide schedule changes, and does allow passengers booked on affected flights to make free changes to their itineraries, including cancellation for a full refund. Some agents may cite a minimum time change to allow this (≈30 min, unless a Minimum Connecting Time is violated), in which case, the customer can call back and try a different agent.
AFAIK there is no time limit for an airline change.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
A bit OT, but if you have access to Skype, you can call AA's toll free number without cost.

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I am currently in Europe and won't be back till Aug 31st.
It could be a fairly long and costly phone call to AA (with all the holds) - can I wait til I get back or is there a "time limit"?
Alternatively, can I contact them by e mail?
Ideally, I would like to cancel this ticket and rebook if I am entitled to do so (due to schedule changes).
I am not clear on the regulations regarding this.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PLT MM
I am currently in Europe .... It could be a fairly long and costly phone call to AA (with all the holds) ....

Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

Keep in mind you don't have to call back to the US. Just pick the country you're in
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by magic111
Quoted from the Sticky
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822038 "
• How do I change or cancel my reservation"

I don't know of any time limit either, however, if one calls sooner, there will likely be better seat availability
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:20 am

Also in most European countries the ATT direct local number allows you to dail the AA 800 number for free, without having to use their credit card number.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zman
Also in most European countries the ATT direct local number allows you to dail the AA 800 number for free, without having to use their credit card number.
Thank you - that could be very useful.
Please explain more - ATT number from where (hotel, phone booth)?
I have an ATT cell phone, but I don't believe I can dial US 800 numbers (for free) from France or UK on it.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
The UK Aadvantage customer service desk's number for all elite levels is 08457 890 890. For France, it's 0800 213 873.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:23 pm

Thank you - that could be very useful.
Please explain more - ATT number from where (hotel, phone booth)?
I have an ATT cell phone, but I don't believe I can dial US 800 numbers (for free) from France or UK on it.
Link for ATT direct (not for cell phones)
They are worldwide ATT access # to the U.S.
Prmarily for ATT calling cards but from may countries
you can dial the AA 800 number for free
http://www.usa.att.com/traveler/acce...bers/index.jsp
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:46 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by magic111
I think that once you actually accept the change (via email or telephone call), that cuts off the right to make a different change without cost. But I find that AA almost never advises me of a change. I usually see it when I am re-checking my reservations, and then I call and reschedule to something more acceptable.

AA has always been fairly accommodating when they make an itinerary change, and I would rather take different flights.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
2 options, as commonly noted here.

1. You and AA agree to flights
2. You can get a refund, without charge
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:43 pm

There is always this 240 ME

Originally Posted by mvoight
2 options, as commonly noted here.

1. You and AA agree to flights
2. You can get a refund, without charge
Rule 240 applies only in the United States and not to any foreign carriers.

Each airline may claim that its contract of carriage interprets 240 differently, and some may say that there are new versions of the rule (some call it Rule 120.20). However, the bottom line is, if you're delayed or canceled and weather is not a factor, you need to find the nearest airline supervisor and nicely, but firmly, say, "240 me."

Of course, if you're on the last scheduled flight of the day by any airline, you won't be going anywhere. And some airlines may claim the weather excuse even if there's no weather issue at your departing airport. Still, insist that the airline make its case if it tries to invoke the weather excuse.

You can even enact a preemptive 240 before you arrive at the airport. Before you leave home, check your flight status (I use flightstats.com or flightarrivals.com)

This is a quota from Peter Greenberg. Website of quota http://www.aarp.org/leisure/travel/a..._rule_240.html
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by FAAA
Rule 240 applies only in the United States and not to any foreign carriers.

Each airline may claim that its contract of carriage interprets 240 differently, and some may say that there are new versions of the rule (some call it Rule 120.20). However, the bottom line is, if you're delayed or canceled and weather is not a factor, you need to find the nearest airline supervisor and nicely, but firmly, say, "240 me."

Of course, if you're on the last scheduled flight of the day by any airline, you won't be going anywhere. And some airlines may claim the weather excuse even if there's no weather issue at your departing airport. Still, insist that the airline make its case if it tries to invoke the weather excuse.

You can even enact a preemptive 240 before you arrive at the airport. Before you leave home, check your flight status (I use flightstats.com or flightarrivals.com)

This is a quota from Peter Greenberg. Website of quota http://www.aarp.org/leisure/travel/a..._rule_240.html
Anticipating many requests about details related to this rule- why wouldn't you just post the link to any FT tread explaining this rule with FT-ers experience claiming to be seated on "the next" flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.