Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far in advance can you book an Award ticket with miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT
How far in advance can you book an Award ticket with miles?

Title says it all. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:33 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
330 days or so seems to be the rule on most lines....good luck...

note that it is before each flight....lots of discussion on this w/ techniques....
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:18 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
For future reference, try also looking in the FAQ and Wiki, as both cover most of the general questions surrounding AAward travel.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822041
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I will tell you from recent first-hand experience that the award inventory is actually bookable (assuming award inventory has been allocated for that flight) 2 days prior to it being made available on AA.com. I saw it on expertflyer, called the EXP desk and got it. When I asked why I didn't see it on AA.com she said AA.com always has a delay of 2 days for some unknown reason. YMMV.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
330 days exactly if you are not EXP. We do it every year for annual vacation.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:02 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
My understanding from reading here is that it's 330 days out on AA.com and 331 days out over the phone. I've updated the FAQ with the latter accordingly, but if we can confirm 332 days, I can change it.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
But if you book it over the phone, don't you have to pay extra (I think $20) to ticket it? Or can you retrieve the phone-booked res yourself on line and ticket it yourself for free? (this if obviously for those of us who are not XPL).
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dstan
My understanding from reading here is that it's 330 days out on AA.com and 331 days out over the phone. I've updated the FAQ with the latter accordingly, but if we can confirm 332 days, I can change it.
aa.com says you can't book more than 329 days out. I received the following when selecting July 2 2010, the last date that shows in their calendar (why it shows in the calendar if you can't actually book it makes no sense, but...):

Originally Posted by aa.com
American Airlines can only display flights up to 329 days in advance. The date you have selected is either outside of this time frame or does not exist.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by dstan
I've just tried to make an award reservation for 331 days from today i.e. 22 Nov 2012. I tried phoning first based on the above advice but when I said the date I got a recorded message saying that reservations can only be made up to 21 Nov i.e. 330 days in advance. Then I went online and it is in fact possible to make a reservation on aa.com up to and including 22 Nov i.e. 331 days in advance. So this seems to be the opposite way round to what is stated above and in the FAQ.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:25 pm

Sorry to jump in on this, I am trying to book a reward flight for 17 November from MCO to ORD for which I calculated that the on sale date should have been the 22 December. However, since that date I have been checking daily and there are no reward seats on sale for the direct flights after the 13 November. Can anybody shed any light as to why this would be or when they are likely to be released? Is there a schedule for release or is it as and when AA are ready?

To clarify I am BA Blue and wanting to use Avios to book first class this. However, looking at the AA site this also applies to the 25K MilesAAver rate so I am presuming the two go in tandem.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze
I am seeing a similar issue on aa.com for LAX-SFO.
AAnytime award flights can be reserved online for any date up to and including 22 Nov but MileSAAver award flights can only be reserved for dates up to and including 13 Nov.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA
I'm seeing the same thing on DFW to KOA. Also DFW to LAX, SFO, ORD, NYC. I'm assuming American is holding Milesaaver tickets. Any insight?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanksgiving?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:35 pm

I was wondering the same thing. My first guess is that it's because of the current holidays. The whole AA Chapter 11 thing did cross my mind however....things not operating as they should?

http://pintsizepilot.com
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: AA, BA
I was finally able to book Milesaaver tickets for Nov. 16, DFW to KOA just after midnight today (Jan. 1).. Looks like AA is running about 11 days behind on posting Milesaaver tickets. I was able to book at 320 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.