Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Will gain EXP while on vacation - need to use stickers on the flight back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond

I'm sitting at 98k EQM right now and taking a trip to SJU via Miami which will net me over 2k EQM. I plan to use stickers to upgrade on the way there. I will be there for 4 days, so the miles should post the third day there.

Should I go ahead and request an upgrade now with stickers and call as soon as the miles post?
or should I wait till the miles post and call the EXP desk to have them submit an upgrade for me?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:26 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Request the upgrade now. Even if they are deducted, a call after the fact will get them back.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by alien
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Request the upgrade now. Even if they are deducted, a call after the fact will get them back.
Yes, I agree to request now - but I would also call the EXP desk after the outbound flight posts so that they can move the request to the EXP queue as it will remain in the PLT queue otherwise.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:30 pm

Good point.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by krazieman
I'm sitting at 98k EQM right now and taking a trip to SJU via Miami which will net me over 2k EQM. I plan to use stickers to upgrade on the way there. I will be there for 4 days, so the miles should post the third day there.

Should I go ahead and request an upgrade now with stickers and call as soon as the miles post?
or should I wait till the miles post and call the EXP desk to have them submit an upgrade for me?

Thanks
Request upgrade now. If EXP status shows before flight, call to have your new status linked to the upgrade. If EXP status doesn't show before the day of the flight, either 1) use stickers to upgrade (if you have cleared) and claim them back after EXP status shows up; or 2) call AA before the flight and tell them that you have flown the miles and ask them to list you as an EXP. If you think getting the upgrade will be tight, go for 2). They have some way of giving you temporary status until the qualifying flight clears.

Last edited by beerup; Jul 24, 2009 at 6:44 pm
Old Jul 24, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks.. I'm going to follow the general consensus here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.