FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Speculation: Will AA repeat DEQM / DBEQM / DBLEQ / double EQM in 2010? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/976683-speculation-will-aa-repeat-deqm-dbeqm-dbleq-double-eqm-2010-a.html)

miamigrad Feb 16, 2010 1:47 pm

DELETED

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Feb 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult (Post 13401619)
Hi All,

Benefiting from a double whammy last year, one becomes used to being spoilt... Any chance of these perks reappearing this year ? After all, there still is a crisis, people do travel less, Air France has just posted the most dismal forecast for worldwide air travel (but it would not occur to them to make their FF program just a wee bit friendlier), Delta is looming larger than ever at LGA and JFK.. so what's in store ?

Que sera sera, but I'd hate to be stuck with my pants down like in 2008 when DBLEQ miles only applied to NEW bookings and my year was pretty much planified and booked.

The only thing I have seen so far from AA is a major increase in AAdmiral's Club fees (even for EXPs) which practically wipes out the discount coupon offered last year for renewal. I am not amused...

Anything better on the horizon ?

There is already a huge thread on this, but to summarize, there's always hope.

UnitedEF Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by globalguy (Post 13381994)
too much DBLEQ leads to benefit dilution; at some point, what's the point?

If you need DEQM to qualify for higher status, chances are you don't fly as much and therefore do not use the benefits as much as others who do it the hard way.

brp Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedEF (Post 13402019)
If you need DEQM to qualify for higher status, chances are you don't fly as much and therefore do not use the benefits as much as others who do it the hard way.

For people in the real world, I agree. For FT, though, it's different. As an example,we've flown a little over 50K miles so far this year, including 4 international trips. The SWUs have come in very handy. Now, if this were under DEQM, we'd already have requalified for EXP the "easy" way. But the benefits have been invaluable. Now, we will requalify with over 100K EQM, not counting any doubling, but this just shows that there can be cases, especially in FT-world, where real world rules don't apply.

Cheers.

jbcarioca Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Skip logic. Double EQM make us feel good no matter how much we'll qualify anyway. That and the eVIPs arrive more quickly.

shadesofgrey1x Feb 16, 2010 3:43 pm

This just in, the definative answer can be found at

http://8ball.tridelphia.net

tanzaniancane Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Every time this thread comes to the front page, a little part of me starts hoping that an announcement has been made! Of course, this time I was imagining:
"We've kept JAL in OW and won the decision with BA/Iberia" double miles promo... of course I will keep patiently hoping :)

scubadu Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by tanzaniancane (Post 13402695)
Every time this thread comes to the front page, a little part of me starts hoping that an announcement has been made!<snip>

Every time this thread comes to the front page a little part of me hopes it would just go away, or someone would lock it...

Originally Posted by tanzaniancane (Post 13402695)
<snip> of course I will keep patiently hoping :)

Me too...

Regards

UnitedEF Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 13402096)
For people in the real world, I agree. For FT, though, it's different. As an example,we've flown a little over 50K miles so far this year, including 4 international trips. The SWUs have come in very handy. Now, if this were under DEQM, we'd already have requalified for EXP the "easy" way. But the benefits have been invaluable. Now, we will requalify with over 100K EQM, not counting any doubling, but this just shows that there can be cases, especially in FT-world, where real world rules don't apply.

Cheers.

I hear ya, especially over at UA where each 50k over 100k we get a set of two. A promo couldn't come fast enough I've been holding out on booking a few TPAC flights. Come on AA give us a double so UA will follow :-)

vrbaba Feb 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedEF (Post 13402019)

Originally Posted by brp (Post 13402096)

Cheers.

Whichever world one may think they are in, in "all" the worlds the EXP benefits do help me - regardless of whether I fly as much as a Gold or twice that of an EXP.

I always find it funny when people regard 100k BIS as "the hard way". Does that make them feel better than others who achieved EXP without flying 100k? Or is it just jealousy where they think they deserve more than the others even with the elite threshold bonuses?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Feb 16, 2010 8:27 pm

There is no "hard way" or "easy way." It is what AA decides it is. What about all those who don't even read FT and optimize their flying. Do they deserve EXP more if achieve status via segments on AE?

But, flying 100k BIS miles will definitely get you EXP. This is a gambling man's game. :)

brp Feb 17, 2010 12:47 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba (Post 13404003)

I always find it funny when people regard 100k BIS as "the hard way".

It certainly doesn't bother me, but I can see why someone would claim that flying 100K miles to get something is harder than flying 50K miles to get the same thing. That's just a fact. Then people go on to express feelings about those differences, of course. But 100 is harder than 50.

And 50K by Feb. 15 is hard as well. Trust me.

Cheers.

almostfrench0612 Feb 17, 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 13405295)
It certainly doesn't bother me, but I can see why someone would claim that flying 100K miles to get something is harder than flying 50K miles to get the same thing. That's just a fact. Then people go on to express feelings about those differences, of course. But 100 is harder than 50.

And 50K by Feb. 15 is hard as well. Trust me.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, a) how did you manage to fit in 4 international trips in 6 weeks and b) where did you go on your trips that enabled you to rack up so many EQMs??? Very impressive. Any reason you chose to do this all in just the first 6 weeks of the year? Again just curious!

Hoc Feb 17, 2010 1:14 am

As high as airfares have been over the past two months, I haven't flown a single mile yet this year. And without DEQM or a significant reduction in fares, I don't see myself making any trips beyond those already planned for the rest of the year. That would net me about 20k in RDMs based on flying for the year, and two trips (one on UAL, one on BA) using all miles to fly.

However, if the fares drop or DEQM comes into being again, then I'll probably requalify for EXP. Rather than guessing whether that will happen, I'll just take things as they come.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Feb 17, 2010 7:06 am

Sure, its a comfort level. But I already have March, April, and a good part of May booked with travel so if its 3/15-6/15, non retroactive, I will probably get limited use of another promotion. Still, at some point the airlines (and us at FT) will need to ween themselves off of this promotion.