Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will AA repeat DEQM / DBEQM / DBLEQ / double EQM in 2010?

Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Now that reports are starting to trickle in about the last of the dbeqm miles posting. I thought I would get a jump on things (since this question will eventually come up): Will aa run this promo again next year?

Last edited by nrr; Jul 19, 2009 at 7:30 pm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
AADER came about after the MD-80 wiring problems. DBEQM came in the midst of a recession and weak bookings. What do you suppose will happen next year, nrr?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Who knows for sure????

Although... One would assume that they would if either one of the following happens:

- AA happens to have another couple of dismal quarters with soft revenue / low capacity
- Another airline kick starts a double mile promo before AA does .. I'm sure they would do a "me too" in response

Cheers
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Let's hope not

Rather than speculate about what next year will be like, I would rather state that I hope that this is not the case. Maybe I am in a tiny minority, but I hope for the sake of AA, the airline industry and for the economy in general that AA does not sense the NEED to do this again next year. I don't want to see AA go through Chapter 11, become a DL/NW low service clone with UA style labor relations, etc.

While it was fine to make EXP maybe two or three weeks earlier, a third year of a perceived business need for double EQM would mean AA in some real economic problems.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by nrr
Now that reports are starting to trickle in about the last of the dbeqm miles posting. I thought I would get a jump on things (since this question will eventually come up): Will aa run this promo again next year?
Just to get a bigger jump on things...will aa run DBEQM in 2015. By then the 757s should be refurbished and a 787 or two might have appeared so Mileage runs might be more comfortable (for those who need to do them).
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not only does nobody here know, I doubt anyone at AA knows at this time. This sort of thing isn't planned six months in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:55 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Reminder: Post padding is a violation of the TOS. Further, such posts only serve to dilute information content in this forum, and have now been deleted.

If anyone has solid information to share (which I do not expect is the case), or at the very least a reasoned opinion to contribute to the discussion, please feel free to post. Anything else will lead to post deletion and thread closure.

/Moderator
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvedda
- Another airline kick starts a double mile promo before AA does .. I'm sure they would do a "me too" in response
I believe that they did that this year as I think the UA equivalent of DBEQM came out first. Under pressure, UA changed their promotion to allow previously-made bookings to accrue double miles while, despite letters from some, AA did not. So, it's not always a complete "me too" response. Unfortunately for me

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by brp
I believe that they did that this year as I think the UA equivalent of DBEQM came out first. Under pressure, UA changed their promotion to allow previously-made bookings to accrue double miles while, despite letters from some, AA did not. So, it's not always a complete "me too" response. Unfortunately for me

Cheers.
Agree .. detailed t&c's are not always the same...

AA came out on Mar 18th / UA came out on Mar 19th, and then upgraded it on Mar 25th to include triple Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) on qualifying United flights in First (F, A, P), Business (C, D, Z) and full-fare Economy (Y, B)...

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Jul 19, 2009 at 9:57 pm
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The state of the industry and what other carriers are doing with respect to repeating another like promotion will probably determine if we see another AADER/DBEQM.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 22, 2009 at 7:28 pm Reason: unnecessary side commentary redacted
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dstan
Reminder: Post padding is a violation of the TOS. Further, such posts only serve to dilute information content in this forum, and have now been deleted.

If anyone has solid information to share (which I do not expect is the case), or at the very least a reasoned opinion to contribute to the discussion, please feel free to post. Anything else will lead to post deletion and thread closure.

/Moderator
One more time. If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, and especially if you think there is nothing constructive to contribute, don't contribute. Let the thread take it's own course.

/Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
My advise is to start this thread come Jan 2010 and not July 2009.

Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
2010 dbeqm

I know it's a little early... ok, a lot early to start dreaming. However, I'd like to seek the wisdom of fellow FT'ers with regard to AA running a DBEQM promo in the first half of 2010.

This thread is not intended to debate the validity of DBEQM promos, but purely to build a consensus on whether AA may do it again- especially considering all of the variables involved.

Thanks!!!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
They might. Or not.

I'm not sure anyone here can answer that question, other than providing a pure guess.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paging HNL to the white courtesy phone . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.