Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Assistance Failure - Grandmother Lost in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
I just want to add that while very useful, solely arming someone with a cell phone doesn't guarantee successful transit. A cell phone is an accessory, not a replacement for knowing how to get around.

Yes, add me to the list of people noting the complete foolishness and disregard for a family member's safety by putting them in an environment where they could have just as easily wound up in the UK.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:41 pm

A little extra preparation would have helped.

First of all, elderly (as well as the very young) who don't travel often AND don't speak the language preferably should not travel alone;

If you are going to put them on a plane by themselves, minimize the number of connections. It should be obvious the more connections, the more chances for getting into trouble, misconnects, cancellations, etc.

Think of a way (ahead of time) for them to get help if they run into trouble. Cellphones may not be the best option for someone who hasn't used one before. You could ask her to carry a piece of paper with your numbers along with a polite request to call you, and ask her to give it to an airline employee or any other traveler who does not appear too preoccupied.

While I agree AA GA's could have witnessed Grandma's difficulties, and could have been more proactive, I'm sure one can understand that during times of cancellations and rebookings, things could get missed if you do not know how to ask for help yourself.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by XRottenX
Especially that your surprised about the fact that you have to write an english letter makes me laugh, your in the USA, where last time I was there, english was the official language.
Actually, it's not.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Colin
pry open your EXP miles wallet to redeem an anytime award to get dear auntie on the MIA-BOS nonstop. shessh
The OP mentioned "abuela" not "tia". shessh

Originally Posted by jakuda
No, it isn't. Your [sic] wrong.
Originally Posted by skipaway
Actually, it's not.
True, but interestingly, more than half the US states have adopted English as the official language. http://www.us-english.org/view/13

Originally Posted by XRottenX
Lesson learned, now deal with the outcome.
What's that supposed to mean?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jul 17, 2009 at 8:12 am Reason: just because
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by c_stanley
I think the OP was asking for problems, sure, but thanks for the voice of reason. With all due dressing-down of the OP already done, they did get tickets that had dates and times printed on them and even in 2009 I don't think it's too much to expect that an airline might actually sell you tickets for flights and then actually fly them rather than send you to a hotel.
The OP said it was weather issue. If so, then already helped by getting her a hotel, food, and transportation. What did the OP do except get her on an itinerary that even had her scheduled to make a JFK-LGA connection, and then yelled at AA until they changed it. MOST people traveling on a award ticket, would have been stuck with the connection THEY booked.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigBopper
No way in hell does it take 2 hours at 11pm to get from JFK to Yonkers. I'm assuming 11pm since she arrived at 1am and well, I did math

That trip, even with bridge traffic is max 45 to an hour at that time and that's being very generous.
I think you missed the previous poster's reference to being "Lost In Yonkers".
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j3823x
I just want to add that while very useful, solely arming someone with a cell phone doesn't guarantee successful transit. A cell phone is an accessory, not a replacement for knowing how to get around.

Yes, add me to the list of people noting the complete foolishness and disregard for a family member's safety by putting them in an environment where they could have just as easily wound up in the UK.
I agree, it didn't sound like she traveled much. Since the OP is a VFF, he should known about IRROPS. I also don't see how you miss a JFK-LGA connection on the itinerary.

I wonder if maybe AA did describe what they were giving her, and there was no indication she didn't understand English. Maybe the non-response was taking as shyness or just being old. If she didn't understand then maybe someone expected her to make her needs known. Why couldn't a family member from BOS meet her in New York? Old age, language issues, not a seasoned air traveler, unfamilar locations not being assertive enough to demand assistance..... all of this is not very condusive to a normal trip, let alone irrops and crosstown connections. Unless she spoke up, then someone is expecting AA employees to be mind readers.

Last edited by dstan; Jul 17, 2009 at 11:34 am Reason: fixed broken quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by mvoight
It sounds like you were expectig a lot from a free wheel chair assistance request.
It's not the airline's fault an award ticket was booked with a change of airports. It is also not up to the airline to look after her. If your parent needs this kind of support, she should have a paid attendant or family member travel with her. I would have suggested someone at least meet her at the connecting point, which is exactly what we plan to do when my MIL flies through ORD, provided AA flies ORD-DME in April, as planned.

It sounds like she needed much more than a wheelchair and someone to push her. If she didn't need the wheelchair, it sounds like she still would have needed additional assistance in determining how to get from one place to another, beyond the normal needs of an airline passenger, and airlines aren't staffed for this and I would not place this blame on the airline. The airline gave her transporation, hotel, and meals for a weather problem. I doubt the shuttle bus took a passenger onboard without knowing their destination, and I really don't think it took 2 hours. In any case, the next time she travels, at least send a cell phone with her. That way, she can call you if there are issues. You can add a family member for about $10 per month. Or go somewhere and get a $15 or less pay per use phone. OH... sorry, those are US prices. Still, I think a throwaway US phone for someone visiting the US should be a good idea. In the future, hope for the best, but make plans for what to do in case of a problem. And check to make sure she isn't connecting between airports.
I totally agree with your statement. I will bring this thread up at my next focus group meeting. The idea of giving anyone needing assistance a cell phone from one of their family members or caregivers in case of mishap or emergency is a great idea.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My grandmother is in her mid-80's and with limited English skills. We would never let her fly alone, domestically or internationally. A recipe for disaster as you have unfortunately discovered. I am glad that she is okay.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Since the OP is a VFF, he should known about IRROPS. I also don't see how you miss a JFK-LGA connection on the itinerary.
Now your first part of that is certainly relevant, an EXP and FT member should have seen that coming (though in fairness he did well before the flight).

But in full fairness the OP does list his home base as MVD. I'm not so sure I would catch a co-terminal connection issue int'l to domestic in Uruguay myself. There's quite a few places where there's basically two adjacent airports (KUL, BOM) for connections.

I know it's a stretch, what really frequent flier doesn't know LGA from JFK. But then again not sure if everyone would expect an automated booking engine to arbitrarily insert a yellow cab in the middle of an international ticket booking and be extra vigilant. The computer really shouldn't just do that without a very prominent warning.

In classic FT style a "problem trip" thread dissolves into opposing camps. I don't think it's too crazy to say probably every party to this mess did at least a few things they probably should have done better. The 100% blame attitude seems over done.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it's a stretch, what really frequent flier doesn't know LGA from JFK. But then again not sure if everyone would expect an automated booking engine to arbitrarily insert a yellow cab in the middle of an international ticket booking and be extra vigilant. The computer really shouldn't just do that without a very prominent warning.

In classic FT style a "problem trip" thread dissolves into opposing camps. I don't think it's too crazy to say probably every party to this mess did at least a few things they probably should have done better. The 100% blame attitude seems over done.
I dont think you can book this award trip on line, as the itinerary has EZE-MVD in it - does AA fly EZE-MVD? Besides, AA site would display warnings in Red, when there is airport change in the itinerary. Also if a person is not familiar with an airport, shouldn't he do a bit research to find out about information of the airports?

The blame goes 100% towards OP is because he was totally inconsiderate of his elderly relative's situation, never took any precaution, and then when bad things happened, he complained about AA, instead. I think it is this kind of attitude that puts most people off.

Any person has any common sense would not let an 84 year old with disability and language barrier fly alone without companion care-taker, and not to choose as direct an itinerary as it can be. Whatever the reason(s) the OP chose to let the elderly fly alone, he has not put in any thought to prepare for her travel, from booking the itinerary to as simple as using written notes as communication tool. Yet, he thinks AA has failed. So where is OP's own responsibilities?! I wonder if anything happened to her, such as a fall or whathaveyou - OP said she could not walk long - that requires emergency medical attention - whom would OP choose to lay blame on?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:45 am

So glad abuela is safe today. Imagine if AA had not given her a hotel room for the weather delay? I cannot imagine anybody not helping an obvious pax in distress. Si posible abuela did not show any distress to her situation?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Happy
does AA fly EZE-MVD?
AA Flight 943

Return is AA900
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
This was not a "problem trip" thread, it was a "blame-assigning" thread. Look at the title, "AA Assistance Failure". It is compounded by hyperbole, "Grandmother Lost in NYC", when in fact grandmother was taken to a hotel in NYC. OP is asking for everyone here to agree with him that his grandmother was treated shamefully.

Most FT members are problem-solvers, who come to FT to acquire information to make their travel experience less problem-filled, and to share such information with others. To do so, we have to acknowledge that we can influence our travel by what we do, and to take responsibility for learning how to do that and then doing it. When someone presents a problem, we tend to present a solution.

We can't change AA, it pretty much is what it is. We can tell someone how it works and what to expect. We can also tell someone how that individual can change his/her behavior to get what they want. But to do that, he/she has to accept that he/she could have gotten what he/she wanted by behaving differently in the first instance, that is by accepting blame for the undesirable outcome experienced.

I submit that if OP wants to find out how to keep Abuela safe in the future, he came to the right place but probably started this thread with the wrong post. If he wanted validation that he did everything right and that AA is an awful, evil corporation for treating poor Abuela the way that they did, perhaps www.flyer-rant.com would be a better place. We aren't group therapy here.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
The OP is clearly in the wrong here, being neglectful of his grandmother-in-law.

The Honor Flight organization has it completely right in that they send a chaperone with EVERY WWII vet on the trip, to be sure to be able to attend to any of their needs (which will always crop up with their VERY ambitious single day trip which even just from Michigan totaled more than 20 hours!).

You needed to have someone go with them. Preferably someone at her end doing the round trip, but if necessary you or your wife doing a double-RT to pick her up and take her back.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.