Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-ORD (AA) ORD-FCO (AZ) - baggage process

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

DFW-ORD (AA) ORD-FCO (AZ) - baggage process

Apologies if this question has been asked, I just wasn't sure how to search for it.

I'm considering the purchase of a consolidator airfare for September that would save my wife and I hundreds but uses non-alliance carriers for international travel.

DFW-ORD on AA then ORD-FCO on Alitalia.

Two questions:
1. When I check in AA at DFW will they check my baggage through to Rome and kindly transfer it to Alitalia even though the two airlines are not partner/alliance, or will they dump my luggage at baggage claim in ORD where I will be forced to stand in line at Alitalia ticketing and go through security again. The tickets will be issued as etickets showing both airlines....

2. Since it is an international flight - i know Alitalia does not charge for baggage. Will AA, as a courtesy, waive baggage fees or will we be forced to pay AA just for the first leg of the trip.

OK, this is slightly OT but on the return leg, the consolidator puts me on UA after I arrive in the US - if anyone knows the answer to the same questions, feel free to PM me as it is OT. I imagine customs is different case coming back to US.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Daniel
When I check in AA at DFW will they check my baggage through to Rome and kindly transfer it to Alitalia even though the two airlines are not partner/alliance...
Ask AA if it has an interline baggage agreement with Alitalia. The airlines have lots of baggage agreements outside of their mileage alliances.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel
Apologies if this question has been asked, I just wasn't sure how to search for it.

I'm considering the purchase of a consolidator airfare for September that would save my wife and I hundreds but uses non-alliance carriers for international travel.

DFW-ORD on AA then ORD-FCO on Alitalia.

Two questions:
1. When I check in AA at DFW will they check my baggage through to Rome and kindly transfer it to Alitalia even though the two airlines are not partner/alliance, or will they dump my luggage at baggage claim in ORD where I will be forced to stand in line at Alitalia ticketing and go through security again. The tickets will be issued as etickets showing both airlines....

2. Since it is an international flight - i know Alitalia does not charge for baggage. Will AA, as a courtesy, waive baggage fees or will we be forced to pay AA just for the first leg of the trip.

OK, this is slightly OT but on the return leg, the consolidator puts me on UA after I arrive in the US - if anyone knows the answer to the same questions, feel free to PM me as it is OT. I imagine customs is different case coming back to US.
per AA.COM
http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...icketing.jhtml
they have an interline agreement with AZ
so you can check your luggage all the way through
I hope you have at least two hours between flights
as AA will need to get the bag over to the international terminal.

There should be NO charge for theh checked baggage IF it is one ticket.
If you split the ticket (two different reservations), they may charge you.

Last edited by zman; Jul 2, 2009 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think "AL" code was for Allegheny dba USAirways Express, so the title has been changed to reflect Alitalia "AZ."
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Ah, but flying Allegory Airlines to the Eternal City would have a certain poetry, no?

As to the OP - if you have a reservation that shows you going DFW/ORD/FCO I would definitely expect AA to check your bag all the way to Rome. I don't know about the fee, though. (As Gold, I don't pay the fees, yet.)

On your return, all passengers have to claim their bags and go through customs. I don't know if there's a simple re-check process for someone arriving on Alitalia and departing on United. I've only done AA to AA on that route and it was very simple.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses...and sorry about the AL / AZ mixup.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If on the same ticket, there should be no fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.