Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New on AA.com: Notification center (major improvement)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New on AA.com: Notification center (major improvement)

You can now set your AA.com account up such that you automatically receive notifications without having to manually sign up for every single flight.

View a quick demo for the new Notification Center at AA.com/connect

The Notification center is a new tab in "My Account" and this link should take you directly to it: https://www.aa.com/aa/myAccount/noti...enterAccess.do .

For some reason, email notifications are disabled by default, so you have to manually turn them on. That's not a very smart move, as AA benefits from the maximum number of users (higher satisfaction); they need a behaviorist in the design team!

BTW, apparently they're having some troubles with the new system: the homepage is currently stating that "Flight Status Notification is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance." However, the Notification Center tab is working so you can set up the account in advance of when they fix the issue.

Kudos to the AA team: the features/functionality looks VERY well done. I am sure the quality of the info sent out will be top-notch as well (especially when dealing with OSOs and unscheduled intermediate stops, which is when notifications add the most value).

Just one quick piece of feedback: when clicking "View Details" on an upcoming PNR, all flights are listed the same way, including those on non-AA (in my example BA). The display suggests that notifications will be sent out for all flights, including those on BA, which we know here it's not the case. AA may want to look at greying out (or mark in some way) those flights for which notifications are not going to be sent out (similarly to how it's done when you select "Notify a Friend") to properly set expectations.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:59 pm

They seem to be working to improve the website. I was there today and got a popup asking me to participate in a survey about how the site is running, where I buy my airfare, etc... There's a drawing for a prize, so I filled it out. Kind of long, but I'm glad they're working on it.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
If they could only add international online check-in...
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Not complaining about progress, but I usually have flight alerts sent to a different e-mail address than ticketing info, etc., since I try to keep down traffic on my Exchange account on my cell phone.

But I'm not finding a way to enter an alternate e-mail address to set up the automatic notifications. Guess I could use text messages, but prefer getting it by e-mail.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by hillrider
You can now set your AA.com account up such that you automatically receive notifications without having to manually sign up for every single flight.

View a quick demo for the new Notification Center at AA.com/connect

The Notification center is a new tab in "My Account" and this link should take you directly to it: https://www.aa.com/aa/myAccount/noti...enterAccess.do .

For some reason, email notifications are disabled by default, so you have to manually turn them on. That's not a very smart move, as AA benefits from the maximum number of users (higher satisfaction); they need a behaviorist in the design team!

BTW, apparently they're having some troubles with the new system: the homepage is currently stating that "Flight Status Notification is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance." However, the Notification Center tab is working so you can set up the account in advance of when they fix the issue.

Kudos to the AA team: the features/functionality looks VERY well done. I am sure the quality of the info sent out will be top-notch as well (especially when dealing with OSOs and unscheduled intermediate stops, which is when notifications add the most value).

Just one quick piece of feedback: when clicking "View Details" on an upcoming PNR, all flights are listed the same way, including those on non-AA (in my example BA). The display suggests that notifications will be sent out for all flights, including those on BA, which we know here it's not the case. AA may want to look at greying out (or mark in some way) those flights for which notifications are not going to be sent out (similarly to how it's done when you select "Notify a Friend") to properly set expectations.
^Thanks Hillrider. Nice not to have to set that up every trip...
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:33 pm
Formerly known as katzalex

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hertz Platinum, Marriot Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold
I noticed this when booking a flight earlier today, but couldn't believe a thread hadn't been started already. It's a major improvment in my eyes, much needed.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Nice. I have been looking forward to this feature for a while. It was very annoying to have to go back to set up notifications on every reservation. I also like the ability to set up and notify friends. It will come very handy when I visit my family and a relative is picking me up at the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Superb improvement! ^
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Just set up my account to send texts (which I hadn't been able to do before ) It will definitely help now that I'm flying more than once every three months...
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Ill see how it works out tomm before I make any comments.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
Ill see how it works out tomm before I make any comments.
Heads up - for text cell phone
For ATT it uses the txt.att.net address
If you are still on a Cingualr ATT account (I am) you need to set up other and use number.mmode.com
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:54 am

Thank goodness! This is the one thing I liked about United over AA... even a year after my last flight on UA, I still got a text notification about my flight. That being said, I must defend AA with a "UA sucks on so many different levels it's not even funny." :P
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The Notification Center seems to be missing this morning - I hope it come back soon!

But can someone explain to me how texts work in the US? I though you just sent text messages to the cell phone number, so what is all this about specifying the carrier?

In any case, I am guessing that AA do not want to incur the expense of sending texts to phones outside the US. So I put my phone's email address in the field, which seems to have worked, as when I create a flight status notification from the reservation, it shows the email address in the field there described as "Deliver to: Device email or text message address:"

(Note most cell phone operators provide an email address for cell phones of the form <number>@<operator>, which converts the beginning of the email into a very short text message. This is a good workaround to get text messages from aa.com on non-US cell phones.)
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nbevan
But can someone explain to me how texts work in the US? I though you just sent text messages to the cell phone number, so what is all this about specifying the carrier?
AA does not send "native" SMSs, but sends emails to the carrier's SMS gateway.

The pulldown list of US carriers is nothing but a way for AA to build the correct email address for the phone, as most US customers don't know about the bridge between email and SMS and don't have a clue as to what their phone's SMS email address is.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by RxCapt
If they could only add international online check-in...
+1

However, the only drawback is (like on Delta for instance) is you still have to show your passport to an agent (gate, ticket counter, or SC) and have them verify the info otherwise while boarding you have to step out of line and have the gate agent take care of that. So it kind of defeats the purpose of OLCI internationally.

zz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.