Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protocol? Serve cockpit crew or first class first?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Protocol? Serve cockpit crew or first class first?

It seems like the flight attendants used to offer the left over first class meals to the cockpit crew. However, on my last two trips they offered meals to the crew first, and then ran out of choices for First Class passengers. (This was domestic LAX-DFW both times.) Does anyone know, is there an AA protocol, I don't really mind who is served when, but just curious.

Last edited by DaveInSFV; Jun 23, 2009 at 8:51 pm
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveInSFV
It seems like the flight attendants used to offer the left over first class meals to the cockpit crew. However, on my last two trips they offered meals to the crew first, and then ran out of choices for First Class passengers. (This was domestic LAX-DFW both times.) Does anyone know, is there an AA protocal, just curious.
Protocol is that the pilot and co-pilot must eat different meals. As there are two meals, the order will not affect whether or not they run out of one of the items.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:37 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I don't know what the protocol is.

To be honest, I don't even eat the food anymore - its just lousy on domestic flights.

whatever they want to do is fine with me.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
To be honest, I don't even eat the food anymore - its just lousy on domestic flights.
Of course, those who don't make hyperbolic snap judgments and generalizations might care.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Let them eat first I say. They are flying you safely where ever they you are going!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Originally Posted by brp
Protocol is that the pilot and co-pilot must eat different meals. As there are two meals, the order will not affect whether or not they run out of one of the items.

Cheers.
Ah yes, now I remember hearing years ago that they eat different meals, so that if for example the fish is contaminated, neither will come down with the same food bourne illness. Great observation, thank you.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Unless you are on a three-class plane, that is, where there are (IIRC) 3-4 entree choices depending on whether it's int'l or domestic.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I don't know what the protocol is.

whatever they want to do is fine with me.
How do you know it's lousy if you don't eat it?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboD
Unless you are on a three-class plane, that is, where there are (IIRC) 3-4 entree choices depending on whether it's int'l or domestic.
I thought about that, but this was LAX-DFW.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Ah yes, now I remember hearing years ago that they eat different meals, so that if for example the fish is contaminated, neither will come down with the same food bourne illness. Great observation, thank you.
Were you remembering this from the film Airplane?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gluedtothewindow
The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInSFV
It seems like the flight attendants used to offer the left over first class meals to the cockpit crew. However, on my last two trips they offered meals to the crew first, and then ran out of choices for First Class passengers. (This was domestic LAX-DFW both times.) Does anyone know, is there an AA protocol, I don't really mind who is served when, but just curious.
If they offered meals to the cockpit crew first, then the flight was probably catered with meals for the pilots since meals are in their contract so that would not affect passenger choices. Once on a LGA-ATL flight, I smelled a meal cooking in the oven, including a cookie and my mouth started to water. I was surprised, since the flight was only supposed to serve refreshments. The FA then blocked off the front to serve the pilots their meal after which we were served refreshments.

We have clearance, Clarance. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:08 pm

Location: Weekdays: LAX; Weekends (when not in a metal tube): LPC
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Even earlier: Arthur Hailey wrote a screen play (1956 -- Flight into Danger) and book (1958 - Runway Zero-Eight) that used this plot device.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, HH Gold, SPG Gold, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by gemac
The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.
Emphasis added. Looks like we appreciate the same movies!^
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jkearns
Even earlier: Arthur Hailey wrote a screen play (1956 -- Flight into Danger) and book (1958 - Runway Zero-Eight) that used this plot device.
As long as we are on the subject, Airplane! is a parody of the movie Zero Hour! in which the passengers and crew also get food poisoning and someone on the plane must now land. It's just not as funny and a lot more suspenseful.

A connection between the two movies (other than many of the character names) is that anytime the exteriorof the 707 is shown, the sound is actually of a piston airplane. Also, the shot is very similar to the exterior shots used in Zero Hour.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051221/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.