Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Checkin / boarding passes / seats for AA / BA combo trip (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:57 pm
HAF
Original Poster

I am on a SFO-JFK-LHR-NBO flight on a AA award ticket this Wed, when I check in on line would i be able to get a boarding pass for the LHR-NBO leg or would I have to do that at the airport? Can AA assign seats for BA portions of an itin when checking in at the airport?

-e
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: Various
What is your AA/OW status? What class of service are you flying on BA?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HAF
I am on a SFO-JFK-LHR-NBO flight on a AA award ticket this Wed, when I check in on line would i be able to get a boarding pass for the LHR-NBO leg or would I have to do that at the airport? Can AA assign seats for BA portions of an itin when checking in at the airport?

-e
I believe that as you're on an international itinerary you can't check in online.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:24 pm
HAF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robt760
What is your AA/OW status? What class of service are you flying on BA?
No status. Flying Econ. Coach - MileSAAver Award (T) and X on BA
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tobyh
I believe that as you're on an international itinerary you can't check in online.
Not true for BA, maybe some others. While one can't check in for AA flights online, one can get BA BPs under certain circumstances. Maybe status and/or cabin. I don't recall all of the details, but I have done it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobyh
Correct, not on American Airlines. Go to BA.com and check in online with them (and select seats) 24 hours prior to your BA flight; the system will take your AA (Sabre) record locator.

If not, AA agents can select (and change) a BA seat for you, but YMMV due to training.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
HAF,
I've done that exact trip several times. While you cannot check in with AA online, you can go online with BA.com and get a seat. However, you have to use this link:
manage my booking
...and you need to know the BA flight number (BA65), not the AA codeshare number, as their system will probably not recognize your AA intinerary record locator. BA65 unfortunately leaves at 3:20AM Pacific Time, so checking in 24 hours ahead is a bit tricky unless you are up at that time.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
You can get a seat assignment before you leave using the link above, but you will not be able to get a boarding pass.

When you get to LHR, you will arrive at T3 and follow the yellow signs for transfers. This will take you to a bus that goes directly to your terminal--in this case, Terminal 5. When you get to Terminal 5, stop at the BA desk for your BP. You will then go through passport control and security into the terminal.

On the return, if BA issues your AA boarding passes in Nairobi, smile and say thank you. When you get to LHR do the same transfer process in reverse. Stop at the AA desk, hand in your BA-issued BP and get a new one. They will do a security questioning at this point ("Has anyone asked you to bring anything?", etc.) Otherwise, you will have to do this at the gate and it slows up the process.

Last edited by pdquick; Jun 2, 2009 at 1:07 am Reason: Added reference to link to Manage My Booking.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pdquick
You can get a seat assignment before you leave using the link above, but you will not be able to get a boarding pass.
Seat assignments are only possible for BA/OW elites and full fare pax. AA should be able to print the BP which will be accepted by BA (unlike the return journey since as far as AA is concerned a pax has not been checked until they have seen him in).
The easiest way is too check-in online and print your own BP for BA.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: Various
With no OW status or AA status, you are limited to seat selection only <24hrs before departure of the BA segment. On line check in not possible on BA (or AA for that matter), as your first segment is on AA and there is an international flight in your iten.

If possible, go to the BA ticket counter at SFO before you board your AA flight. You'll need your BA locator number, and ID. Explain to the check in agent you need your boarding pass for the LHR-NBO segment and you'd also like your seat assignment. If SFO is not possible and you have extra time at JFK, do it there before you get to LHR.

If you can't do any of the above....follow the info given by others to get this all nailed down after the T-3 to T-5 Transfer.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Robt760
With no OW status or AA status, you are limited to seat selection only <24hrs before departure of the BA segment. On line check in not possible on BA (or AA for that matter), as your first segment is on AA and there is an international flight in your iten.

If possible, go to the BA ticket counter at SFO before you board your AA flight. You'll need your BA locator number, and ID. Explain to the check in agent you need your boarding pass for the LHR-NBO segment and you'd also like your seat assignment. If SFO is not possible and you have extra time at JFK, do it there before you get to LHR.
Sorry, but your info is not correct. Online check-in is very much possible for the BA flight regardless of the fact that the first segment is operated by AA. The fact that AA does not allow online check-in if an itinerary contains an international segment has no effect to BA check-in. You are quoting AA rules for BA segment and they do not apply.
Even if online check-in does not work for some [technical] reason AA agent will be able to issue a BP for the BA segment (I had it done even on two separate PNRs). The OP will have to pick up the BP for the BA segment during transfer process at LHR only in the highly unlikely event that all other check-in options fail one after another... More likely he/she will arrive to LHR checked in and in possession of the BP.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAplatinumBAexecutiveClub
Outbound is it 24 hours before the BA segment or 24 hours before the first leg?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This wiki page may be helpful and could also be expanded a bit to address the check-in rules discussed herein.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...s_Flights_(AA)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Sorry, but your info is not correct. Online check-in is very much possible for the BA flight regardless of the fact that the first segment is operated by AA. The fact that AA does not allow online check-in if an itinerary contains an international segment has no effect to BA check-in. You are quoting AA rules for BA segment and they do not apply.
Precisely. Although there are some cities where BA will not allow online check-in. On a SJC...LHR-PRG and return a while back, I was able to check-in for the LHR-PRG 24 hours before, AA segments notwithstanding. BA.com, though, would not allow check-in out of PRG, telling me it was unavailable. This is a BA consideration, though, and had nothing to do with the AA linkage, as noted.

Also (don't think I saw it here), BA flights that are part of an AAPNR can be found using the AA PNR number.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:47 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
When checking in on an AA/BA combination itinerary routed through LHR, AA has pretty consistently told me on checkin that they can't give me a boarding pass for the BA leg, and I have to get it from BA when I arrive at LHR. That includes BA legs on LHR-MUC and LHR-HAM.

Last edited by Hoc; Jun 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.