Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admiral Club Members:still pay luggage fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 11:20 pm
aly
Original Poster

Exclamation Admiral Club Members:still pay luggage fees?

I will be accompanying a senior soon, and am contemplating getting a membership to access the lounge; but...

am wondering if this membership includes any savings on checking in luggage; didn't find anything on the site and any info would be appreciated.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...shipPrivileges

Depending on the savings I would decide on a one time or yearly membership.

thks to all!!
Old May 24, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
The reason you did not find it listed is a waiver of checked-baggage fees is not an AC benefit.

The fee is waived for elites and some (higher) fare codes.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aly
I will be accompanying a senior soon, and am contemplating getting a membership to access the lounge; but...

am wondering if this membership includes any savings on checking in luggage; didn't find anything on the site and any info would be appreciated.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...shipPrivileges

Depending on the savings I would decide on a one time or yearly membership.

thks to all!!
The information on baggage charge exceptions is found in a link from the aa.com baggage information page. The list is here: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...Exceptions.jsp

As noted by Post#2, AC members are not exempted from paying this fee.
So, I encourage you to consider making a gold or platinum challenge.
For a small fee and obtaining 5000 Elite Qualifying Points in just 3 months, you can obtain Gold status, you not only have the first 2 bags free, but other useful benefits.
Old May 25, 2009, 6:51 am
aly
Original Poster

Many thanks to FT!

thks for the insight; perhaps the challenge is the best soln..

will read up on it asap!
Old May 25, 2009, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
People still check bags? Unless there is a "special needs" situation, a long trip without laundry facilities, or some special purchases that can't get through security, I can't imagine.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I always check bags.. I don't want to have to fight for overhead space, even as an EXP in F.

Plus, I shop at Costco, so my toiletries are all commercial size
Old May 25, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
People still check bags? Unless there is a "special needs" situation, a long trip without laundry facilities, or some special purchases that can't get through security, I can't imagine.
There are plenty of reasons folks need to check bags. That you can't imagine very many of those reasons doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
There are plenty of reasons folks need to check bags. That you can't imagine very many doesn't mean those reasons don't exist.
You do have a good point. I got a "What's this?" recently in security?
Old May 25, 2009, 8:24 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I always check bags.. I don't want to have to fight for overhead space, even as an EXP in F.

Plus, I shop at Costco, so my toiletries are all commercial size
So do you bother putting all the Costco products into a suitcase or do you just have the AAgent slap a luggage tag on the 30-pack Charmin?
Old May 25, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
There are plenty of reasons folks need to check bags. That you can't imagine very many of those reasons doesn't mean they don't exist.
+1.

Still trying to figure out what this has to do with the OP, which asks whether AC members are exempt from baggage fees.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by videomaker
Still trying to figure out what this has to do with the OP, which asks whether AC members are exempt from baggage fees.
I just call it conversation.
Old May 25, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
I still think the airlines have this backwards. There should be fees for the carry-ons, the checked luggage should be free.
Old May 25, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by JFKATC
I still think the airlines have this backwards. There should be fees for the carry-ons, the checked luggage should be free.
I think of it this way - if I check a bag, I have to pay a fee to
  1. Be required to get to the airport earlier
  2. Stand in another line to drop off the bag
  3. Stand around a carousel after the flight
  4. Leave the airport later
  5. Potentially wait in another line to file a missing baggage claim.
We should be paying for the privilege of avoiding all that.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Obviously you don't have kids. And if you're married, your wife doesn't pack 2 outfits/day of travel + sweaters to warm destinations in summertime (just in case) + shoes... lots and lots of them. And yes, she flies 40-50k a year (vs my 70k).

My family is going to PIR in a little more than a week and I'm forced to fly NW where I'm a nobody. You wouldn't believe the wrath I am getting today trying to get her to pack a box so I can send it fedex ground and get it there so I can avoid the fee and the hassle/concern that it will actually make the flight. I can just imagine the horror I would experience if I told her she was stuck with only a carryon for anything longer than overnight.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Obviously you don't have kids. And if you're married, your wife doesn't pack 2 outfits/day of travel + sweaters to warm destinations in summertime (just in case) + shoes... lots and lots of them. And yes, she flies 40-50k a year (vs my 70k).

My family is going to PIR in a little more than a week and I'm forced to fly NW where I'm a nobody. You wouldn't believe the wrath I am getting today trying to get her to pack a box so I can send it fedex ground and get it there so I can avoid the fee and the hassle/concern that it will actually make the flight. I can just imagine the horror I would experience if I told her she was stuck with only a carryon for anything longer than overnight.
That all falls into "special needs."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.