Search

Biz Class--no more spring water and...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
Biz Class--no more spring water and...

Currently using GoGo on flight 59 :-)

Pro: A refreshing choice today for breakfast--french toast.

Con: This is the second transcon I've been on with purified bottled water instead of spring water. Now, we're getting Niagra Drinking Water in lieu of the Nestle Spring (I think that's what it was called). Hrm. I know they're cutting back where possible, but still.

Just observing. Now returning you to your regularly scheduled surfing...
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
The change over is about a month old now. Also using the purified water in F on the flights to/from HNL and DFW/LGA in my experience. A dime here, a dime there, it adds up. I guess it makes sense since most people either don't notice or don't care. As always, unless AA gets a lot of negative feedback we won't be seeing Spring water again anytime soon.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Generally very little difference between "spring" water and purified bottled water. We seem to have bought into this "spring" water thing. In most places (domestically, anyway) tap water is just as good as the bottled stuff and far better for the environment without all of those plastic bottles.

Not a justification of cost cutting measures, of course, but this is a pretty minor one, IMO, from a customer service perspective.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Last month in J:
ORD-LHR: Niagra
LHR-ORD: Evian
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
Generally very little difference between "spring" water and purified bottled water. We seem to have bought into this "spring" water thing. In most places (domestically, anyway) tap water is just as good as the bottled stuff and far better for the environment without all of those plastic bottles.
Agreed. And although some water is better than others, it definitely isn't split along a spring vs. purified axis. This is just another excuse to complain, IMHO. I drank whatever water they were serving on my BOS-ORD-MYS-ORD-BOS flights this weekend, and it was just fine.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:28 am
Suspended

Well they will still have the Sparkling water with Fruit Garnish?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Last month in J:
ORD-LHR: Niagra
LHR-ORD: Evian
Last week in J:
FRA-DFW: Evian
ORD-FRA: Niagara

Last edited by Alka; Apr 27, 2009 at 1:38 pm Reason: Corrected spelling error after seeing "Niagara" spelled correctly by ESpen36!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nomoreiphone
Well they will still have the Sparkling water with Fruit Garnish?

Actually, now that you mention it, I was blown away that on BOTH of my IFS flights this weekend the FAs actually delivered this service element! I have to say that in the last year, I've been offered this service only 50% of the time of when I should have received it (according to the menu).

I know that it's one of the least popular service elements among the FAs, but I really think it's a nice touch.

And, on the original topic, I don't particularly care what kind of water I get (purified or spring), as long as we continue to get our own bottle. I agree with brp that it's pretty silly to buy "purified" water (from public sources) when it's basically the same as filling up a Brita pitcher from your tap.

My recent experience:
ORD-FRA: Niagara water (public sources)
FRA-ORD: Evian spring water
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week I had two breakfast transcons that featured the french toast, and on both flights, the FAs complained about (and apologized to me on behalf of AA for) the lack of any meat or potatoes on the plate. Just three half slices of french toast and a small plate of unripe melon, three small pieces of orange and a very poor excuse for a strawberry.

The water? The FAs certainly noticed it and one mentioned to me that it's another example of the company attempting to solve its revenue troubles on the backs of the premium cabin customers.

Expect to see the alcohol brands culled once again and replaced with lesser-known names.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
In most places (domestically, anyway) tap water is just as good as the bottled stuff ...
So true, there is no difference. In fact, tap water is usually better, from what I am told. A couple of experts in water quality that I know have told me that in many US cities (NYC among them), the tap water is actually cleaner with fewer chemicals than bottled water. There are exceptions. Apparently, Washington, DC has very poor water quality.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:42 am

Pure nonsense! What is the next gripe? The variation in brands of butter catered at the various stations................
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Last week I had two breakfast transcons that featured the french toast, and on both flights, the FAs complained about (and apologized to me on behalf of AA for) the lack of any meat or potatoes on the plate. Just three half slices of french toast and a small plate of unripe melon, three small pieces of orange and a very poor excuse for a strawberry.

The water? The FAs certainly noticed it and one mentioned to me that it's another example of the company attempting to solve its revenue troubles on the backs of the premium cabin customers.

Expect to see the alcohol brands culled once again and replaced with lesser-known names.
YEP, I had that unfortunate breakfast on a transcon and it is just BAD. I will recommend people definitely bring food or the FA should start selling BOB on those flights. It is NOT enough food for normal adult humans! I was so hungry after the flight.

Think about it. flight leaves at 7am and you don't get to downtown Manhattan until 5:30pm the earliest. They need to serve something more substantial
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cparekh
So true, there is no difference. In fact, tap water is usually better, from what I am told. A couple of experts in water quality that I know have told me that in many US cities (NYC among them), the tap water is actually cleaner with fewer chemicals than bottled water. There are exceptions. Apparently, Washington, DC has very poor water quality.
We just got back from NYC last night. While there, we definitely prefer the tap water to anything in a trendy, wasteful bottle. In the restaurant "is tap water (or, as it says on the menu, Eau de Bloomberg) OK?" I'm thinking "tap water is preferred."

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
With what? Everclear?

[QUOTE=cparekh;11651249.. Apparently, Washington, DC has very poor water quality.[/QUOTE]

Just try drinking the tap water in Jacksonville.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cparekh
Last year, the Metropolitan Water District of So Cal tied for first place in the Municipal Water category at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting Awards:

http://www.berkeleysprings.com/water/awards.htm

We drink a lot of it (supplied to the DWP of Los Angeles) - several Brita pitchers are in constant rotation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.