Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket booked into Y, not T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Award ticket booked into Y, not T

We booked an AAnytime award to a Mexican resort yesterday, in coach. I expected the fare code to be T. Instead, the E-Ticket confirmation shows us booked into Y, as does the info that i find on AA.com when I pull up the reservation. Questions:

1. Will we earn miles on this flight? (Which we shouldn't--it's award travel, after all.)
2. May we be able to upgrade? (I can pull up the reservation on AA.com but the usual upgrade interface when making a reservation doesn't show up.)
3. Would you try to upgrade by calling EXP? (...and most likely draw attention to what appears the wrong fare code.)
4. Or is such a Y booking normal for such an award?

Last thing: We had some extenuating circumstances (I don't want to go into more detail) that may have caused the EXP person who helped me with making this reservation to book us into Y--the "I'm so sorry for you guys" thing--without saying anything to me about it. Have you experienced anything similar?

We won't fly until June.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
With the AAnytime award, this is normal (It's not so for MileSaaver). It may cause some of 1 or 2 to be possible, but I wouldn't expect it.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The upgrade is an interesting question. I am also wondering if I'll get the free GLD/PLT full fare upgrade for a ticket I have booked in Y after a schedule change from AA. On my reservation I have requested an upgarde and the number of stickers required says "n/a". Does this mean I'll get a free upgarde or will stickers be pulled?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:16 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
From EF (as well as other sources:

T AA Coach - MileSAAver Award

Y AA Coach - AAnytime Award
This is standard booking for AAnytime awards. They know which 'Y' you're in. You're as likely to get miles as anyone else who has ever booked an AAnytime award, i.e. not very likely, but it could happen. Award tickets are not upgradeable.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 1mm
When I booked one I thought the same thing too that perhaps they messed up, but no you will not get upgraded.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
fyi - once I got a automated call in the middle of the night from the aa computers to say that the flight to SFO-DFW that Mrs.Grates and I were scheduled to be on(only a few hrs later) had been cancelled. Mrs.G was on an award ticket, I on a paid coach ticket with confirmed upgrade.
I called the PLT desk and as part of rebooking asked to be upgraded. The aagent said she didn't think she could do that, but when i checked online a bit later, i found that Mrs.G's PNR now indicated "F" inventory. (Mine was "X").

Sure enough, a few days after, full RDMs were posted, including PLT bonus, as well as the Class of Service EQP bonus for F. This has got to be a once in a blue moon occurrence though.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brp
This is standard booking for AAnytime awards. They know which 'Y' you're in. You're as likely to get miles as anyone else who has ever booked an AAnytime award, i.e. not very likely, but it could happen. Award tickets are not upgradeable.

The likelihood is varied depending on which scheme that is used to attempt to credit to. I have seen anytime awards credit quite happily according to the booking class when credited, say, to Qantas

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.