Search

Award (Frequent Flyer) Ticket Change Fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Award (Frequent Flyer) Ticket Change Fee

Anyone know how much the change fee is?

AA Changed the schedule on my ticket, albeit a small change it still requires me to travel to the airport during rush hour. Want to see if I can get on an earlier flight that is closer to my originally scheduled departure time.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by ellinj
Anyone know how much the change fee is?
It varies

AA Changed the schedule on my ticket, albeit a small change it still requires me to travel to the airport during rush hour. Want to see if I can get on an earlier flight that is closer to my originally scheduled departure time.
If they changed schedule you can ask to change flights w/o a fee
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
If the schedule change is more than 10 min (IIRC) you can change for free. Call AA and tell them that the change has inconvenienced you and they should be willing to accomodate.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05
On an award ticket, you always can change to an earlier flight without a fee, assuming award inventory is available on the earlier flight. That said, as a result of the schedule change, the OP may be able to change to the earlier flight even if there is no available award inventory, again without a change fee.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExpAAt05

Originally Posted by beerup
If the schedule change is more than 10 min (IIRC) you can change for free. Call AA and tell them that the change has inconvenienced you and they should be willing to accomodate.
Let's be very clear here. The only thing they have to do is refund the ticket with no fees for a suitable change (and I've never been sure how much is suitable in this context, despite a lot of conjecture and pointing to non-binding "Agency" pages. They do not have to make any changes.

Will they? Responses here show they that generally do, although not a small number of people have (at least initially) been told No if the award inventory did not exist on the flight they wanted to change to. Likely it will be no problem, provided you go in with the specific changes you want. But none of this is a gimme.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow. Worse they can say is no. Going through the motions of booking online shows that there is availability currently on the earlier flight.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP1M, Marriott LTT, DL Gld, UA Slvr, HH Gld
Originally Posted by Blumie
On an award ticket, you always can change to an earlier flight without a fee, assuming award inventory is available on the earlier flight.
Right.. I missed the fact this was an award ticket..
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow. Worse they can say is no. Going through the motions of booking online shows that there is availability currently on the earlier flight.
If you see the inventory available now, don't wait til tomorrow to call. Call now.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
There is no time limit on when a change qualifies for a free schedule change.

The only time time matters is if you want a refund on a purchased ticket. Less than 90 minutes, you get a voucher, more than that you get a refund to your original FOP
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Made the change this morning. No problems.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Deltahater
There is no time limit on when a change qualifies for a free schedule change.

The only time time matters is if you want a refund on a purchased ticket. Less than 90 minutes, you get a voucher, more than that you get a refund to your original FOP
I'm sure I saw somewhee in this forum that for changes of either 5 or 10 minutes or less they do nothing.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:43 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Can't locate the info and similar question to OP.

I want to book an F award from LHR to the US. If I later need to cancel the trip and refund the miles to my account, what would the cancellation/redeposit fee be? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:29 am

I'm sure I saw somewhee in this forum that for changes of either 5 or 10 minutes or less they do nothing.
http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

Here's the proof that there is no minimum time change limit as Deltahater had stated. I used both rule 240 (domestic flight) and rule 80 (international flight) for schedules that changed 5 minutes and 40 minutes respectively. I received a full refund on the domestic flight and I was successful in making a change on the international one.

Cheers!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrmstr33
http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Boo...e_240_80.jhtml

Here's the proof that there is no minimum time change limit as Deltahater had stated. I used both rule 240 (domestic flight) and rule 80 (international flight) for schedules that changed 5 minutes and 40 minutes respectively. I received a full refund on the domestic flight and I was successful in making a change on the international one.

Cheers!
However, as noted many, many times this listing is from the "Agency" section and is merely a suggestion. It is not, in any way, binding and hasn't been for many years. Consequently, this proves nothing, unfortunately.

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by studio76
Can't locate the info and similar question to OP.

I want to book an F award from LHR to the US. If I later need to cancel the trip and refund the miles to my account, what would the cancellation/redeposit fee be? Thanks.
$150, and yes, you will have to pay it. I recently converted a AAnytime award ticket to paid F. They still insisted on the redeposit fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.