Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shareAAmiles - Transfer / share AA miles for fee (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by odom4president
what is PLT? u mean power line technician?
PLT anyone?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
PLT anyone?
PLT is platinum. they were making a joke about Platinum blondes and Platinum status....
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
PLT is platinum.
Somewhat surprisingly, this was not explicitly stated in the AA Forum Glossary. It is now
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
PLT is platinum. they were making a joke about Platinum blondes and Platinum status....
thanks
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:19 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Good mileage transfer ideas? w/o points.com

My wife's AAdvantage account has about 3xK miles leftover. She rarely flies. On the other hand, I could certainly use those miles.

There's the default option of transferring those 3xK miles via points.com, but that would take 2+ years and $450.

Are there better ways to transfer those miles?

Or... are there any good use of miles that people can think of? AA->hotel?

Thank!
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by dtc
My wife's AAdvantage account has about 3xK miles leftover. She rarely flies. On the other hand, I could certainly use those miles.

There's the default option of transferring those 3xK miles via points.com, but that would take 2+ years and $450.

Thank!
You can just transfer miles directly between accounts for a fee. Not sure it would be worth it for 3,000 miles? Or is it an amount between 30k and 40k miles and thats what the x is in "3xK' ????
I've done this before, IIRC it was quite expensive per mile but if it gets you over some "hurdle", such as getting you enough miles to get a free flight when otherwise you didnt have enough, then it may be worth it to you, which was my situation when giving some miles to a relative. Its also pretty quick, a few days at most from what I remember.

Last edited by Tumbleweed666; Feb 21, 2010 at 8:40 am
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:47 am

Mileage transfers are expensive. I'd use them in another way unless you need them as noted above.

http://www.aavacations.com/use-aadvantage-miles.asp
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
aa has share and gift options to xfer mi's to another aadvantage aacount....look at both to see if one is better than the other...good luck..
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AA CK/EXP/1MM, UA Conscientious Objector, Hyatt CC, SPG Plat, HH Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by dtc

Thank!
If you want to evaluate other options, I have found this tool useful.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dtc
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by dtc
Transferring those 3xK miles via points.com, but that would take 2+ years and $450.

If you want 3K AA miles... numerous options are out there that would cost less than $450....

For example:

a Mileage run or two carefully selected can easily yield twice the miles for a fraction of the money (and those would be EQM)

A six month subscription to Netflix can yield 3K miles for less than $60

When they a doing 10X bonuses on AAdvantage Dining a $450 spend would get you 4.5 K miles (plus with a little care in where you eat you may get extra value from the dining out )

Similarly you can get some 10X bonuses on AAdvantage shopping network.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
If you want 3K AA miles... numerous options are out there that would cost less than $450....

For example:

a Mileage run or two carefully selected can easily yield twice the miles for a fraction of the money (and those would be EQM)

A six month subscription to Netflix can yield 3K miles for less than $60

When they a doing 10X bonuses on AAdvantage Dining a $450 spend would get you 4.5 K miles (plus with a little care in where you eat you may get extra value from the dining out )

Similarly you can get some 10X bonuses on AAdvantage shopping network.
He's talking about 30,000+ miles.

Anyway, where do you do Aadvantage dining that you can spend $450?? All the places near me are fast food or bars.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Try Coupon Connection forum

Originally Posted by dtc

Thank!
If there are at least 35K miles in the account, you should be able to find someone on the CC forum who wants a ticket to Hawaii, and would trade for hotel points or AA vouchers, etc. If not 35K points in the account, you can still trade 25K points (economy roundtrip w/in the 48 states), though you wouldn't get as much transfer value for this ticket.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Transferring miles to another account does cost, but you could simply book a ticket for that family member using your miles and avoid the charges.
so ur saying i should book the ticket for my family member, but will AA care since the first name is different from the name on my account? how do i make sure that it doesn't look like i am selling my miles to a total stranger, i don't want to be accused of doing any fraud, should i just book over the phone and say its a family member for better security?
Originally Posted by Jilz
AA will not care if the names are different - I do this fairly often. Sometimes for friends to come and visit me. As long as you're not selling the tickets, it is allowable - whether for a friend or a relative.
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
AA will not care. All you will need to have is the account number and password. You could call, but you will be charged a fee for using a CSR.
Originally Posted by bdemaria
There is absolutely nothing wrong w/booking a ticket for someone else using your miles. You can do it online or over the phone, it doesn't matter.
I am trying to reserve a ticket for myself online logged in with my dad's Advantage account and I keep getting this error message:

"The AAdvantage number for Passenger 1 does not match the name entered. Please verify and re-enter."

Has AA's policy on this changed? Do I need to do this by phone instead? Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by hedur
I am trying to reserve a ticket for myself online logged in with my dad's Advantage account and I keep getting this error message:

"The AAdvantage number for Passenger 1 does not match the name entered. Please verify and re-enter."

Has AA's policy on this changed? Do I need to do this by phone instead? Thanks.
To do this, select the flights off of AA.com. On the "enter passenger details" screen, make sure your name is in there and your AAdvantage number, if any, is listed. That's it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.