Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Boeing 737-823 New Configuration Rollout April 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing 737-823 New Configuration Rollout April 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by zman
.... F9 (while most are not big, they are NOT in sorry state).
That's an interesting way of describing Chapter 11!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by AAFA

Larger, “wheels first” stowage, overhead bins- The new 737 overhead bin accommodates 120 roller boards versus the existing 737 that accommodates 68 roller boards.
This seems like a pretty huge change. I don't fly the 737 much, am I correct to assume that the previous model does not fit them wheels first on either side like the MD80 does on DEF? Or was it somehow only on one side there as well.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
by the way, the term is "roll-aboard", not roller-board. a roller-board is one of several smallish cart-like contraptions meant to be ridden.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I don't fly the 737 much, am I correct to assume that the previous model does not fit them wheels first on either side like the MD80 does on DEF?
No. Standard roll-aboard suitcases fit wheels first on both sides of the previous AA 737-800 interior. Press release must just be AA marketing fluff.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by AAFA
Nah. They are removing the ovens and putting cabinets with shelves where the ovens were. The only thing this definitely means is that wherever this baby goes there will be no coach hot meal service. So the good news is that they can't try flying this thing to Europe!
Aren't there still some Central & (Northern Rim) South America 738 routes that get free hot meals in coach?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:26 pm

There are two videos posted on Facebook about the new 738s. First is an interior rundown, second is a captain's tour. Forgive me if these were already posted.

Interior

Captain's Tour
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
Aren't there still some Central & (Northern Rim) South America 738 routes that get free hot meals in coach?

Yes. Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru get meals in Y. So does Haiti (but NOT the DR).

PTY, LIR, and SJO get meals in Y on the flights to/from DFW only, NOT the MIA flights. Must be for competitive reasons (like the countries listed above).
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:37 am

I imagine those slots for laptops under the armrests will get a fair bit of crud on the bottom.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by JNB280
There are two videos posted on Facebook about the new 738s. First is an interior rundown, second is a captain's tour. Forgive me if these were already posted.

Interior

Captain's Tour
The above links require a login. These do not:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=70831271956

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=70834031956
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Kudos to AA for FINALLY taking new aircraft, but just like the NGBC....they fall short of truly planning for the future. First of all not all MD80 can be replaced, no PTV, and now in some reports show that AA has not decided on whether to upgrade current 737's. It took this long for a 737 modernization, how long will it take for AA to realize they need to be an industry leader in product innovation, not follower. This is not news....its AA's attempt to catch up to the late 1990's.

Now news would be if they ordered new 737-900s for a 757/md80 replacement as well as finally update the 767 cabin in Y.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
I flew on the inaugural flight of a brand spanking new 737 this morning from ORD-MSP. Loved that new plane smell.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by asteven75
My favorite quote from that story: American squeezed in two more rows in coach by placing rows closer together, using thinner seat padding and removing rear galleys.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
But I find that on certain flights, the Mac power cords don't behave well with all the power ports on AA. Never run into this problem on other airlines, although most of my flying is with AA.
"Don't behave well" in what way?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by anabolism
My favorite quote from that story: American squeezed in two more rows in coach by placing rows closer together, using thinner seat padding and removing rear galleys.
Ouch

I'm hoping the new recline feature and claimed reduced seat pitch doesn't make using a 15" laptop with the person in front reclined any worse than it currently is in coach.

On the bright side, I'm glad to see AA is still one of the few carriers that recognizes the value in putting power ports in coach. It's one of the reasons I chose them, and now one of the reasons I'll stick with them

I've also never had a problem using my DC magsafe power cord on any AA flight. Haven't had a chance to fly with AC yet though.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by anabolism
"Don't behave well" in what way?
If the answer is "Doesn't charge from the Magsafe airline adapter" the answer is "that's by design". I'm not sure why though.

I've only used the power outlet 21AB so maybe other rows are where the problems are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.