Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Citi Bronze Mastercard: $15 Annual Account Summary Processing Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Does anybody know what the $15 annual account summary processing fee is?

I've had this card ever since I called Citi to cancel my regular AA Mastercard ($1=1 mile) when the fee came for the 2nd year. Rather than canceling my card, the agent told me I could change it to Bronze ($2=1 mile) which had no fee. I figured it was better for my credit to keep the Bronze card than to cancel my account. So I kept the card, but I never use it. Now I think I'm just going to cancel.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have a bronze that I never use (Starwood Amex as #1 and Hilton HHonors Visa Signature as #2). I think I recall this fee from a while back, but have not seen it in a while. I didn't pay it then and I sure as hell wouldn't pay it now.

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wow. Did you ask for the annual summary from Citi? Reading the T&C on the Citi website, it does not clearly document the fee which I think is kind of deceptive. While $15 may not seem like much, I would still say something to a supervisor and insist they take it offer or threaten to pursue the BBB, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I have a bronze that I never use (Starwood Amex as #1 and Hilton HHonors Visa Signature as #2). I think I recall this fee from a while back, but have not seen it in a while. I didn't pay it then and I sure as hell wouldn't pay it now.

Cheers.
I would second the sentiment.

OP, are you sure its a fee by Citi? During your time when you did use the card, you could have signed up the card for something else that does have an annual processing fee. Just a thought.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:31 pm

From Freefrequentflyermiles.com:

Caution: I am hearing that Citibank is sending something called a "yearly summary" to card holders and billing them $15 for it. Readers are complaining that they did not order and did not want this summary. They tell me the fee is reversed when complaint is made, but I suggest you tell Citibank up front that you don't want the summary.
Apparently this has happened before to some people.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
It happened to me a few years ago. At that time, the "yearly summary" was free for the "regular" Citi AAdvantage cardholder (may still be). I'd received it once or twice, but never really done anything with it. I'm in the same boat as brp - when I switched to the Starwood Amex as my primary card, I kept the Citi Bronze as a rarely used backup. Citi continued to sent the yearly summary. The twist is that, while it was free for the standard card, there's a $15 fee for bronze cardholders.

It was a quick and easy call to (a) get them to remove the $15 charge, and (b) never send me a yearly summary again. Definitely seemed like there was a process in place to handle it - they didn't even question it when I asked.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by Mr. S
Does anybody know what the $15 annual account summary processing fee is?

I've had this card ever since I called Citi to cancel my regular AA Mastercard ($1=1 mile) when the fee came for the 2nd year. Rather than canceling my card, the agent told me I could change it to Bronze ($2=1 mile) which had no fee. I figured it was better for my credit to keep the Bronze card than to cancel my account. So I kept the card, but I never use it. Now I think I'm just going to cancel.
Email customer service and ask that this be refunded. Same thing happened to me - used to have a Citi AAdvantage gold MC and when the annual fee was due, changed it to the bronze card.

All of a sudden one day I see the $15 charge. Citi CS tells me I expressly requested this summary. I said, "on what day and time did I supposedly request it?" The date they gave me was the date I opened the (now canceled) gold MC account.

I asked the agent how I could have requested this summary a year before the bronze card was opened. All I received was deafening silence.

I was then told that since it was already mailed and I was receiving the benefit of the summary, it could not be refunded. That didn't fly either. I had to speak with two "supervisors" and finally threaten to cancel the card just to get the $15 back. No one could seem to understand how stupid this situation was.

Sure, it's not a lot of money, but it's the principle.

Now when I've churned the AAdvantage cards, I specifically email customer service (so it's in writing) and specifically tell them that I do not wish to receive this "benefit" and refuse to pay for it. I also print it out so I have it for my records in case their online system purges messages.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
This is a yearly problem for me with this card. I, like many others, received this card when I downgraded to avoid the yearly fee (this is a back-up card that I almost never use). The funny thing is that I've never received any year-end statement in the mail, eventhough they charge me the $15 (which, after much pushing, I've always been able to have refunded)
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I was also charged for the yearly summary. I am certain I never received the summary. (Citi said they emailed it.)

After a bit of back-and-forth on the phone the fee was waived.

My understanding is that the summary is free with the Platinum card, but costs $15 with the bronze card. If I am charged again this year I will throw an even bigger fit.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
The $15 is fee is the annual (spending) statement fee/not an annual fee. I have never seen it years ago when I had this same card.

I guess they automatically enable/enabled it on all accounts (including mine) since they are looking for ways to make some money.

I called and they took the fee off without a hassle (and I also canceled the card since I never use it anymore).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:06 pm

Easy to reverse fee

it is easy to reverse this fee with a phone call.
Both the wife and I have received statements with this $15 fee in past.

call when you receive the statement, and ask that they credit you the $15, and they mark your account so you do NOT get the summary (or the charge) in future years. This is only on the no fee Bronze card in my experience.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Reviving an old thread, but just got charged $5.00 annual account summary fee for my Citi Forward which was converted from a TYP premier maybe 1 year ago.

Called and was on hold for a long time and the CS agent said he would "forward the request" to someone in the right dept.

What a pain.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I wonder if most card holders don't notice the fee.

Now that credit card miles don't count for LT status on AA, I have gone to a cash back card for most of my purchases. Does AA miss my Citi Bank charges?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Originally Posted by oldpenny16

Now that credit card miles don't count for LT status on AA, I have gone to a cash back card for most of my purchases. Does AA miss my Citi Bank charges?
I too am in the process of converting my CitiBank AA cards to cash-back cards
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by oldpenny16

I still have a Bronze card. Had it for a number of years and haven't used it in 3-4 years. So, no processing fee

I keep it as longer-held cards increase credit rating whereas canceling and starting new cards lowers the rating. No reason to cancel it.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.