Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:38 pm
HAF
Original Poster

Connection time @ JFK

Just booked a reward ticket SFO-JFK-LHR-NBO. I have a few questions regarding the connections:

I am on the AA18 out of SFO getting in JFK at 7:25am and then connecting out to LHR on the 8:25am flight AA142 is one hour enough time connecting at JFK?... seems tight but early morning summer time hopefully won't be a problem

Then we get in LHR at 8:25pm and spending the night there and catching the BA flight out to NBO the next day, do you happen to know if AA will check the luggage all the way from SFO to NBO or would we have to pick them up and recheck them in at LHR. The ticket is all in one PNR.

--e
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
1 hour is not a problem at JFK for an AA SFO to LHR transfer. Of course if the SFO flight is delayed, then that's an entirely different issue.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by HAF
Then we get in LHR at 8:25pm and spending the night there and catching the BA flight out to NBO the next day, do you happen to know if AA will check the luggage all the way from SFO to NBO or would we have to pick them up and recheck them in at LHR. The ticket is all in one PNR.
Is the time in LHR an overnight layover, or a stopover? If it's a stopover, LHR to NBO is a seperate segment of the itinerary, and so they probably won't allow you to check all the way through IIRC.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I've got no experience with JFK so here I am. Flying BCN-JFK in November on a AA codeshare (AA metal) that is scheduled to for 11:10am - 2:10PM. I've got a choice between a 3:35pm connection (if I fly into my closest airport - PIT) or I can take a 5:00pmish connection (and fly into CLE). So, is 1:25 hour connection from international to domestic @ JFK a little risky or totally out of the question?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
I've got no experience with JFK so here I am. Flying BCN-JFK in November on a AA codeshare (AA metal) that is scheduled to for 11:10am - 2:10PM. I've got a choice between a 3:35pm connection (if I fly into my closest airport - PIT) or I can take a 5:00pmish connection (and fly into CLE). So, is 1:25 hour connection from international to domestic @ JFK a little risky or totally out of the question?

I just did that BCN flight a few weeks ago. Customs took nearly 30 minutes because two other flights landed at the same time. Took another 15 minutes to get bags. The line for bag recheck was out of control (would have been easier to recheck at the regular counters.) At least in my experience, the 335PM flight would have been close. Maybe others that have flown this route more often can give their experiences.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
I took the BCN-JFK flight last year. It usually arrives at 2pm in the summer. I had a 3:30pm connection to TPA. I had been told that the flight usually arrives 1/2 hour late so I made alternative arrangements just in case, since the 3:30pm flight is the last direct flight that AA offers. I had checked luggage. We did arrive late (~45 minutes). Fortunately, my bag was among the first out. Security took about 15 minutes. The TPA flight was delayed ~15 minutes so I ran to the gate like my life depended on it. They were literally closing the door when I arrived but they let me in.
By some miracle, my bag actually made it to TPA with me.
In all, I would not recommend doing the 1:30 hour connection unless you have a healthy, strong heart. Bonus points if you are not checking luggage.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy

the post-3pm Eagle set of flights often gets delayed. that said, international baggage claim at T8 can be slow, and reclearing security plus walking all the way to gate 31 takes a while. it's toss-up, really, whether 85 minutes is doable.

you might also book the PIT, and then if clearly running too late, go upstairs instead of baggage re-check and ask to be reaccommodated on the CLE rather than waiting for a PIT flight (there is a late evening PIT flight on DL; AA goes only 1x/day JFK-PIT).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Thanks everyone for the advice. Think I'll play it safe and fly CLE. If I wasn't leaving a car @ the airport and had some flexibility on the return, I'd try PIT but I'm heading to a Doo and really need to be back for work on time.
Thanks again for the assist.
f-boy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.