Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with the free headsets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I collect them. I probably have 100 or so in a big plastic bag at home. I give them to family/friends if they need them.

Same goes for amenity kits. I have dozens of unopened kits.

I'm sure I'll have a use for them someday.
While you're certainly entitled to take them, at what point is it enough? Wouldn't it be better not to waste all of them?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by scoow
For those of you with a pile of them, a school with a language or music lab might be interested in your "collection". I have been donating them to a friend who does music therapy in public schools.
Great idea! In fact, I have been doing that for the past 3 years, i.e. collecting "free" headsets and giving them to teachers in Africa that have computers in their classrooms. (I work for an NGO that puts computers in classrooms)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, I'm an AS traveler, and not sure as to the quality of the aforementioned headphones, but we get cheap earbuds for use with the dig-e-player (free in F) and so I have a small collection of my own...

I have passed them out to friends/family for temporary usage- however last week I took a RCA video cable and cut it in half. I then cut off the headphones near the earbuds, matched up the wires (left channel, right channel and common) and soldered them together. Now I have an audio adapter -> Laptop to TV
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I leave mine and use the Bose
+1
I do the same.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I've seen people selling huge lots of them on eBay.

The thing is, I've tried using them, many times, when my personal earbuds break, and they never seem to last more than a week or two. I suppose, if you fly every week, that works out well.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I rarely have much interest in the AA IFE and usually the system is full of static anyway. And just leave the things. If I do have an interest, I pull out my own off my Ipod.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
i keep a pair at the gym so i don't get my regular ones sweaty.
plus, the AA ones actually have louder bass than the default ipod ones.

my current pair is 6 months old, i think. all the rest i leave on the plane. they may be free, but they're still not very good.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
While you're certainly entitled to take them, at what point is it enough? Wouldn't it be better not to waste all of them?
Agreed. We leave the headsets. Also, we've just stopped taking amenity bags. We have a bunch that we're going to donate, but enough is enough. Our FRA-DFW flight yesterday still had the old show bags. While the FA was distributing them, I just said "no thanks." She was surprised that we didn't want them

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Exactly. Although, I do take my amenity kits and give them to a local abused women's shelter. As for the headpones, I leave them on the console or seat pocket for the next passenger.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
I end up leaving the amenity kits from overnight TATL because I don't want to check bags for the return flight. I suppose I could separate out the tubes of stuff and put those in my 1 qt ziploc bag, just haven't been particularly motivated to do so.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benzguy80
I end up leaving the amenity kits from overnight TATL because I don't want to check bags for the return flight. I suppose I could separate out the tubes of stuff and put those in my 1 qt ziploc bag, just haven't been particularly motivated to do so.
I've gone through any number of times with one or two amenity kits packed in my bag. Never take them out; never separate out the liquids; never a problem. Now I don't even take out my regular freedom baggie (following advice I saw here). No issues at all.

As a side note, when reclearing at DFW D yesterday, there was a very cool looking x-ray machine, tube-shaped. The TSA guy announced that folks on that line did not need to remove liquids or laptops. I'd read that they were working on improved machines, and it seems that they are ^

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I knew I was going to get that response from someone..... It's b/c you are breaking the policy of the airlines. Are you allowed to get liquor in FC and then take it back to a passenger in coach? Didn't think so.
are you saying there is an AA policy that prevents me from giving something I own (like something served to me by a FA) to a friend in coach ? I've done this lots of times with no issue. Please cite the policy.

regarding the ear buds, I collect them and use them on the treadmill at the gym for a single use.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:39 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
are you saying there is an AA policy that prevents me from giving something I own (like something served to me by a FA) to a friend in coach ?
Are you saying that, each time I'm served a drink in F I can bring it back to coach? I don't have access to their policy documents, but I can assure that this is not allowed. This is separate, of course, from a one-off item like earbuds, IMO. But "something served to me by a FA" is unquestionably not OK in general.

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, HILT DIAMOND, PC PLAT
17 Year Old Son

Originally Posted by Halo117
Just wondering if anybody has tried giving the free headsets in first to the FA so they can give it to someone in coach. I have done this on some occasions and feel that the headsets go to waste usually in first or any Int'l flight.
I save mine, as my 17 year old son seems to lose his earbuds for his I-Pod consistently.

Cred
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Occasionally used during flight, headset quality never impressed enough to use elsewere. Always left behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.