Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Admirals Club discounts - $25-50 off at select clubs

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 7:23 am

I do not understand the obsession to renew at a particular AC year after year. Not just the OP, others here have expressed similar feelings. Are we that sentimental, eh?
Old May 28, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Not sentimental, but it's believed that renewing at a certain club shows an amount of revenue for that club and helps them in maintaining facilities and saving from potential closure. A couple years ago SJC and MCI were the two that many were renewing at, maybe even SJU should be a good candidate this year with all the pullbacks there.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by moman
Not sentimental, but it's believed that renewing at a certain club shows an amount of revenue for that club and helps them in maintaining facilities and saving from potential closure. A couple years ago SJC and MCI were the two that many were renewing at, maybe even SJU should be a good candidate this year with all the pullbacks there.
Actually, its also been told that renewing does not affect the viability of a club, rather the swipes (visits) do. But neither proven, yet.

I would pursue the cheapest option regardless of which is more beneficial to a particular club. BTW, recently (earlier this year) people were offered up to $50 off for renewing. I have a feeling you could have negotiated for double the discount
Old May 28, 2009, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moman
Not sentimental, but it's believed that renewing at a certain club shows an amount of revenue for that club and helps them in maintaining facilities and saving from potential closure.
That widely circulated story is one of the "urban legends" around here.

No need to try and find a club giving a discount if one pays with a AA Citi Business card you get $25.00 off the renewal... and no its not combinable with club offered discount

mike
Old May 28, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vrbaba
I would pursue the cheapest option regardless of which is more beneficial to a particular club. BTW, recently (earlier this year) people were offered up to $50 off for renewing. I have a feeling you could have negotiated for double the discount
Drats!! I'm going to have nightmares and regrets for the next 11 months now. . Oh well.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Actually, its also been told that renewing does not affect the viability of a club, rather the swipes (visits) do. But neither proven, yet.
Well, I'm not sure how one "proves" this, but I've been told several times by some pretty senior AAngels at SJC, ones that I trust implicitly, that the renewal is not all that important, but the swipes are. I still renew at SJC because I like them and it's convenient, but I am quite convinced that it doesn't matter.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Discounted Joining?

If regional clubs offer discounts in renewing - is anyone aware of discounts on joining?

Thank you!
Old May 28, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I got offered a $25 discount for renewal at the LAX club last month. I was hesitant at first until he threw in 2 drink chits. That did it for me.
Old May 28, 2009, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
There was a lot of discussion on this topic in March/April re: experiences with clubs that were offering discounts:

<circular link redacted post-merge>

Last edited by dstan; May 28, 2009 at 2:27 pm
Old May 28, 2009, 11:15 am

Programs: Various
When my renewal came in the mail, there was an offer of an extra month of membership for free if I paid by a certain date.....unfortunately, I procrastinated a bit too long.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:16 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's too bad they don't offer any sort of mileage discount for those of us who renew with miles.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Random sample point, but a week or so ago, my gf who is a gold member, got an offer by mail for $100 off a new membership ($350 /yr) and a free day pass.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:53 pm

I also received a letter in the mail for $50 off a new membership... Seems like $350 is the magical number...

On the other hand, I will hit EXP this Friday night when I land in SFO and will try and see if I can stack this with my CitiBusiness AAdvantage MC $50 discount to bring it down to $250 for a new signup..
Old May 28, 2009, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
It's too bad they don't offer any sort of mileage discount for those of us who renew with miles.

Cheers.
Because those who do it know its not a good use of miles, but they still do it because they have an abundance (or dont value miles much or whatever the reason), and slightly fewer miles is likely not going to persuade any more to use miles, so why not get as much.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because those who do it know its not a good use of miles, but they still do it because they have an abundance (or dont value miles much or whatever the reason), and slightly fewer miles is likely not going to persuade any more to use miles, so why not get as much.
It's a great use of miles as far as I'm concerned. Money costs money; miles are free. And,as noted, I also have more than I will ever use,and they keep accumulating. Free AC membership is a good thing, but they could make it freer

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.